DSPC Book Group discussion

March/April Book

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Holleran | 35 comments Good morning! Happy March 1st!

We are starting a new book today: Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas. I have had this book on my bookshelf for a couple years and was too intimidated to read it. Dietrich Bonhoeffer was a theologian and I learned about him while I was working at the Seminary--but I think I never read the book because I wasn't sure I would "get it." By putting the book on the reading list, I knew I would have to face my fears and read the book. I don't know, but I suspect this book is not as easy reading as the first two this year. So... I hope you will explore this book with me.

The calendar would have us meeting on Tuesday, March 29th - I don't know if we want to meet in the middle and discuss half of the book or just save it until April 26th and discuss the whole book. I will look for your guidance.

Here are some questions that Bonhoeffer asked himself; perhaps we should focus on these same questions:

* What is the church?
* What are the differences between religion and spirituality?
* What is the church's role in the war, and in politics, and in ministry to the oppressed?
* Is it possible to "sin" while in strict obedience to God?
* How does morality intersect with legality, and what is grace?
* Is just not doing wrong enough, or aren't we called to go out and do good?
* What is the proper relationship between church and state?

I look forward to reading this book and our discussions.

Happy Reading,
Lisa

message 2: by Rita (new)

Rita Crimm | 7 comments Whatever works for the group is okay by me. I have to say that I had to make myself read the first chapter. I intend to read a chapter a day until I finish. It has gotten somewhat better but so far not my kind of book.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Holleran | 35 comments Happy Spring Break Readers!!

How is the book going?

Eric Metaxas is the author, and I find his writing remarkable. Extremely descriptive and what I would assume is historically accurate. I found an interview with him and here is one of the questions they asked Mr. Metaxas - I pose it to you:

Albert Einstein was famous for saying that a “foolish faith in authority” was a core weakness in German society. German writers like Heinrich Mann, Hermann Hesse, and Frank Wedekind depict an educational system designed to break the individual’s will and make social conformists. But Dietrich Bonhoeffer emerged from this milieu unbent and with a strong contrarian streak. What is it about Bonhoeffer’s personality and upbringing that built such a determined opponent of the Nazi state?

message 4: by Rita (new)

Rita Crimm | 7 comments The fact that his parents were well off and entertained a variety of people, they traveled and the children were exposed and encouraged to participate in adult discussions. He was well educated and had a strong personality and was taught to analyze situations before he formed his opinions. This book is not what you would call "light" reading. I find myself with my dictionary on my lap as there are a number of words whose meaning I do not know. I am up to chapter 15 and my chapter a day is working out well. I do not know that I would have read this book on my own, however I am now finding it quite interesting.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Holleran | 35 comments Rita,

I am actually lagging behind. I am going to try your Chapter a day plan. I have enjoyed what I have read so far... but I am not thinking about it all day, so I haven't eagerly read it every day.

Anyone else reading?

Lisa

message 6: by Doug (new)

Doug Bynum | 5 comments I'm reading. Amazing insight into the history of Germany, I'm really enjoying the book.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Holleran | 35 comments Happy Monday!
We are scheduled to meet tomorrow at the church tomorrow (Tuesday, 4-26-16) @ 6:30 to discuss the Dietrich Bonhoeffer book. I have not finished the book, but I am available to meet tomorrow if anyone else wants to come. Please post on Goodreads if you are coming tomorrow.

Our May book will be back to lighter reading: Living with a Wild God by Barbara Ehrenreich.

Lisa

message 8: by Rita (new)

Rita Crimm | 7 comments If there are others that want to meet I can come. Just let me know if we are going to go ahead and meet. Rita

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Holleran | 35 comments Dee and Doug - can you meet tonight?

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Holleran | 35 comments Ok - I say NO meeting tonight. I have only heard from Rita and it is supposed to storm about the same time we are supposed to meet.

I will do better at posting with the next book. Invite people to join our group. We don't have to meet monthly, we can do this all online - whatever works for people...but I don't want to be the only one posting questions, etc. :)

Lisa

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Holleran | 35 comments Yes, let's just make it online. I can keep up with online but I don't want to be in charge of monthly face-to-face. If someone else wants to host a meeting at the church, I will certainly attend. Or even is someone wants to host in their home. I will change the goodreads if you will change the bulletin so it just reads an online community. How do we get our books posted on facebook? You can change your good read settings to send you an email daily or weekly.

Lisa