Christian Fiction Devourers discussion

A Sound Among the Trees
This topic is about A Sound Among the Trees
Archived Group Reads 2016 > March Book of the Month - A Sound Among the Trees by Susan Meissner

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth | 2263 comments Mod
One of our books this month is A Sound Among the Trees by Susan Meissner!

Goodreads Summary:
As a young bride, Susannah Page was rumored to be a Civil War spy for the North, a traitor to her Virginian roots. Her great-granddaughter Adelaide, the current matriarch of Holly Oak, doesn’t believe that Susannah’s ghost haunts the antebellum mansion looking for a pardon, but rather the house itself bears a grudge toward its tragic past.

When Marielle Bishop marries into the family and is transplanted from the arid west to her husband’s home, it isn’t long before she is led to believe that the house she just settled into brings misfortune to the women who live there.

With Adelaide’s richly peppered superstitions and deep family roots at stake, Marielle must sort out the truth about Susannah Page and Holly Oak— and make peace with the sacrifices she has made for love.

Chime in if you think you're going to join!

Susan | 44 comments Count me in! I have about 100 pages left.

message 3: by Marion (new) - added it

Marion | 124 comments I'm next in line for a library copy.

Anne (annest) | 3 comments I am 44% in, a very different read for christian fiction

Karin | 207 comments I have about 80 pages left, so I'm in!

Karin | 207 comments I've finished the book. When are we starting the discussion?

message 7: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth | 2263 comments Mod
Usually we open discussion about mid-month. At that point, you can post spoilers, etc.

If you want to go ahead and post, you can, use the hide spoilers option though. :)

Karin | 207 comments Beth wrote: "Usually we open discussion about mid-month. At that point, you can post spoilers, etc.

If you want to go ahead and post, you can, use the hide spoilers option though. :)"

That's okay, I can wait; I just won't return the book to the library yet.

Patricia | 18 comments I have this hold on the library, but doesn't look like I'm going to get it in time for this month. I've enjoyed several of Meissner's books, so looking forward to this whenever I get it!

message 10: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth | 2263 comments Mod
Hope you can get to it sooner rather than later! It's only the second book by her that I've read.

message 11: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth | 2263 comments Mod
I'll post some more in depth discussion questions later, but in the meantime - who is already a fan of Susan Meissner?

What books of hers have you read and which do you recommend?

I've read Stars Over Sunset Boulevard, which is her newest, published by a mainstream publisher. It did have some faith elements, but definitely was lighter on the faith aspect. However, it was a really good read.

message 12: by Marion (new) - added it

Marion | 124 comments My.copy arrived so I just read Chapter One. Wish I could do.nothing all day but read it!

My real life book club read one of her books, and she actually came to the meeting. I missed it unfortunately, but they said she was wonderful. Anyway, I read her Rachel Flynn series, and it was very good.

Patricia | 18 comments My favorite of Meissner's was Secrets of a Charmed Life. Have also read A Fall of Marigolds; The Shape of Mercy; The Girl in the Glass; & A Seahorse in the Thames. I would recommend all of them. Haven't read any of the Rachel Flynn series. She seems to be a versatile writer. She does the historical alternating with a present day setting very well & I usually enjoy those types of books.

message 14: by Sara (new)

Sara | 75 comments I have read a few of her books including Stars Over Sunset Boulevard which I loved. I am currently reading Blue Heart Blessed. I am looking forward to reading more of her books.

Karin | 207 comments This is the first book I've read by her.

message 16: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth | 2263 comments Mod
Okay, I'm finally getting to posting som discussion questions - wanted to do it last night but just ran out of day!

1. What is Adelaide's greatest strength? Her greatest weakness? How has her relationship with Holly Oak colored her life?

2. Which is the true view of Holly Oak? What Pearl thinks? What Adelaide thinks? Do you think a home can take on any of the characteristics assigned to Holly Oak, or is it simply a building?

3. Why does Marielle agree to live in the same house her new husband shared with her previous wife? Do you think she was right? What would you have done in her situation, coming into a family as a stepmother far from the only home you'd ever known?

4. Susannah is referred to as a spy, a traitor, and a ghost. Who was she really? How does knowing the truth about Susannah's life free Adelaide? How does it free Marielle? Caroline?

5. Why does Caroline come back to Holly Oak? What do you think would have happened to Adelaide if she had not?

6. Eldora claims to be in contact with spirit world. Do you believe her? What did she feel in Holly Oak? What happens when she meets Caroline?

message 17: by Beth, Head Librarian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth | 2263 comments Mod
I'll post a few more tomorrow! Feel free to discuss freely and add your own thoughts/comments.

Karin | 207 comments Okay, I'm finally getting to posting som discussion questions - wanted to do it last night but just ran out of day!

1. What is Adelaide's greatest strength? Her greatest weakness? How has her relationship with Holly Oak colored her life?

2. Which is the true view of Holly Oak? What Pearl thinks? What Adelaide thinks? Do you think a home can take on any of the characteristics assigned to Holly Oak, or is it simply a building?

3. Why does Marielle agree to live in the same house her new husband shared with her previous wife? Do you think she was right? What would you have done in her situation, coming into a family as a stepmother far from the only home you'd ever known?

She moved there because Carson said it's what his children were used to; she was already a new mother to them, so it would make the transition smoother. I don't think I'd have done that at her age; I would have never wanted to move into a home my husband shared with a former wife.

4. Susannah is referred to as a spy, a traitor, and a ghost. Who was she really? How does knowing the truth about Susannah's life free Adelaide? How does it free Marielle? Caroline?

It frees Adelaide from the foolish notion that she was living under a curse. It frees Marielle from the thought that they need to stay with Adelaide. Caroline already knew about this, but it didn't change much for her; she had to get to the point of accepting God's deliverance and cleaning up her life a different way.

5. Why does Caroline come back to Holly Oak? What do you think would have happened to Adelaide if she had not?

She has finally recovered from years of substance abuse and has been clean long enough to know it will stick; she has also become a Christian. I think that with out Caroline coming, Adelaide wouldn't have been able to move on as well as she did, nor would she have made the decision to live alone in Holly Oaks.

6. Eldora claims to be in contact with spirit world. Do you believe her? What did she feel in Holly Oak? What happens when she meets Caroline?

No, I don't, since I never believed there was a ghost, and she really didn't seem like anything authentic.

reply | flag *

message 19: by Marion (new) - added it

Marion | 124 comments I expected a mystery, but it was more about understanding the family's history and relationships. This was my first time reading a book with two different time periods where all of the historical parts are by letter only in one section. I surprisingly liked that method!

I really liked Caroline and how she doesn't fly in as being born again the month before she arrived. She walked with God for two years then attempted to make amends. The book had less of a Christian tone than I expected but thinking back, Caroline was setting a wonderful example of giving/receiving forgiveness.

message 20: by MKay (new) - rated it 4 stars

MKay | 35 comments Just got mine on Saturday and started reading today-already interesting!

Karin | 207 comments MKay wrote: "Just got mine on Saturday and started reading today-already interesting!"

I hope you like it!

message 22: by MKay (new) - rated it 4 stars

MKay | 35 comments Finished today! I did enjoy it!