Contemporary YA discussion

Allegiant (Divergent, #3)
This topic is about Allegiant
Challenges > Allegiant (Divergent, #3) by Veronica Roth Book vs. Movie and movie updates

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (last edited Jul 22, 2016 06:27AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Andrea | 1054 comments Mod

What if your whole world was a lie?
What if a single revelation—like a single choice—changed everything?
What if love and loyalty made you do things you never expected?

The explosive conclusion to Veronica Roth's #1 New York Times bestselling Divergent trilogy reveals the secrets of the dystopian world that has captivated millions of readers in Divergent and Insurgent.

*They have split this movie into two part. This is part one.*

1. Which was better book or movie?
2. What are the differences between the book and movie?
3. Would you recommend them both or just one of them?
4. Did any characters stand out to you?
5. Were there any lessons learned?

Watch the trailer here: https://www.goodreads.com/videos/9510...

Read...Watch...Discuss and have Fun!

Eszter Vágó (readingwiththestars) | 4 comments 1. Which was better book or movie?
Both. They are so different it's hard to pick. I loved how they executed the movie. There were A LOT of CGI elements, but the overall feeling of the movie was better than the book's.
Uhm, almost everything. But I have to admit, I read a book in two parts and can't really remember all of it. I'm not sure I'm supposed to go into spoilers here about the movie, but the ending was definitely different than anything in the book.
Both. I recommend the book because it's the original material, and I recommend the movie because it's a lot better than Insurgent was (in my opinion).
Four. He is much stronger and relateable in the movie than he was in the book for me.
Yes. The main message of the movie is the same as in the book.

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 252 comments Mod
I was very disappointed in the movie, actually since Insurgent. The changes they made came out of absolutely nowhere and even the essence of some characters were changed. I came out of the theater wishing I picked a different movie to watch with my friends. The only thing I actually enjoyed was Four's characterization, that stayed true to the first two movies/books, unlike the third novel, where he came across as a moody and whiny teenage girl. To be true, Allegiant is my least favorite book in the trilogy, I gave it a low rating (2.5 stars) here on Goodreads, so I wasn't expecting that much from the movie, especially after Insurgent (my favorite book in the trilogy and the one that suffered more in my opnion in the transition to the big screen). I don't know if I'll watch the last movie, I don't think I have any interest in the series anymore.

Update: The movie adaptation of Allegiant (Divergent, #3) by Veronica Roth has been divided into two parts. Part two is titled Divergent: Ascendant. It had been scheduled to be released in June 2017.

Lionsgate is trying to decide if the last film will be released in movie theaters or on cable...specifically on Starz. If they decide to release the film to Starz, and if the response is good they might create a spin off series.

Andrea wrote: "Update: The movie adaptation of Allegiant (Divergent, #3) by Veronica Roth has been divided into two parts. Part two is titled Divergent: Ascendant. It had been scheduled to be released in June 201..."

I don't know if I want this to happen. The movies were completely disappointing. I liked the first one a lot, it was one of the most faithful adaptations, but by the second one, things got out of hand. Allegiant part.1 was just a big NO for me. It probably went bad in the theaters and that's why they are thinking about releasing the last movie on TV.

Natália wrote: "Andrea wrote: "Update: The movie adaptation of Allegiant (Divergent, #3) by Veronica Roth has been divided into two parts. Part two is titled Divergent: Ascendant. It had been scheduled to be relea..."

Yes, it didn't do well. I have only watched the first movie. I'm not sure about a series either, but they called it a spin off. Usually that means one character gets their own show and it would be set in the same word... so if that's the case it might work.

I'm not sure what character I would want to have the spin off. Maybe Will, Johanna (can't remember if she died) or possibly Four. I think his story would be the hardest to pull off.

No heads up for the actors. Shailene Woodley (Tris) responded to the news that her movie might be a TV movie:

“Honestly, I was on a plane when all that happened and I landed, and I’m like Whoa, what’s going on?!”

When asked if she would be open to playing Tris on the possible series she said,

“I need to talk and find out what the details are,”

(view spoiler) I don't believe she will be asked to be in the series because it's a spin off not a continuation.

Andrea wrote: "Natália wrote: "Andrea wrote: "Update: The movie adaptation of Allegiant (Divergent, #3) by Veronica Roth has been divided into two parts. Part two is titled Divergent: Ascendant. It had been sched..."

Yeah, maybe. But as the movies are straying from the books, and not in a good way, I don't think it will do well enough for a spin-off series. And I don't know what character would be a good protagonist. Four wouldn't work. I think maybe Tori or Christina.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I was planning on watching the second movie tonight . I'm prepared to be disappointed.

If there is a series it would be in the same world. Would it be without the factions, with the factions or like the outside world?

Natália, I would pick Christina or Tori too. Tori dies in the books. If she lives in the movie that's a change I would like.

JoAnne When I was watching Allegiant I was thinking this is not the same!

I don't like when the movies are so different than the books. Why option the book if you're not going to follow the story that was written??

Wanda (wyb1065) | 3 comments I have read the books and I'm up to date on the movies. I like the books better!

The first movie was great and it actually got me to read all the books but the movies since the first one have been a big disappointment to me. They took something and tried to make it bigger and have failed miserably. With Insurgent I have to even wonder if the screen writers actually read the books or jut skimmed them because the plot didn't make sense.

Ex: If the founders thought Divergence was a problem (according to the "smart" faction) then why would they make them the only ones who could open up this thing that was to save everyone. That just didn't make sense.

I recommend the books over the movies.

As for the characters, Tris actually irked me. She seemed selfish when it was always her way that things had to be done. I felt she didn't love Tobias as much as he loved her. He put her first but she didn't do the same IMHO as in sharing her thoughts or strategizing with him before acting on her own. Loved Christina and really wished Will had lived so they could have been together. Did not like it that Uriah died at all!!!

Lesson learned: For some people, One monumental act can affect the rest of your life. In the Movie when Trish killed Will, I believe that was the incident that caused her to forget her weapon at the end and thereby get herself killed. She seemed to always be in an atonement phase trying to make up for killing him even though it was a self defense kill or be killed moment.

I'm waiting to see if they will change the ending as they have changed so many other things from the book. I hated the book ending and it actually made me cry. Probably because even though she irked me Tobias loved her and he forever has a whole in his heart now. Call me a romantic. It was a truly sad ending.

Wanda wrote: "I have read the books and I'm up to date on the movies. I like the books better!

The first movie was great and it actually got me to read all the books but the movies since the first one have been..."

I love that the first movie prompted you to read the series!! I wonder why they strayed so much from the book for the second and third movie? The box office dollars prove that it was bad judgement on their part. Everyone here seems to agree.

I hated the book ending. I knew it was coming from book 1. I had a really hard time with it.

message 13: by Karen (new)

Karen (KarenLovesYA) | 36 comments This movie didn't follow the book at all. It was a disgrace to the book. I don't know where this story came from or why they didn't follow the book that millions of people loved. That's stupid. The script was horrible and the story was too. It deserved to fail. I feel sorry the actors.

I'm done. They ruined the story for me. I won't watch the last movie or the series. I bet they won't even make a movie.

Karen wrote: "This movie didn't follow the book at all. It was a disgrace to the book. I don't know where this story came from or why they didn't follow the book that millions of people loved. That's stupid. The..."

I bet many fans feel the same way. I only watched the first film.

Wanda (wyb1065) | 3 comments Wasn't sure about the talk of a series but just saw this to confirm about the last movie and series.

‘Divergent’ Finale to Skip Theaters, Launch as a TV Movie and Spinoff Series from Variety website.

Ok, I will admit I'm intrigued as to how they will pull this off with the series to follow. At this point I'm thinking maybe it should have started as a series so they could have given more time and effort to portraying the story in dept.

Wanda wrote: "Wasn't sure about the talk of a series but just saw this to confirm about the last movie and series.

‘Divergent’ Finale to Skip Theaters, Launch as a TV Movie and Spinoff Series from Variety websi..."

Thanks for sharing♥ I have some more info too...

The film will not be in theaters, but the rest is not a done deal yet. They are doing "preliminary" negotiating and sending out "feelers" not only with the actors and directors, but with all the companies that are involved. Some of the actors are not happy. Most people involved with project learned about the change through the media.

Nothing has been officially pitched yet.

Lionsgate recently acquired Starz. The Starz staff have to move to the Lionsgate offices. So there will be some reorganizing, moving offices and some title changing. It's not the happiest of situations. (A friend and her husband are in the industry. Her husband has a minor role with the project.)

There has been no formal pitch on the movie or TV series - yet, but there is at least one "important" person who really wants the TV movie and spin off to happen and...

There's now a third option on the table: Lionsgate could release the movie as video on demand or streaming. It sounds like getting everyone on board for anything is difficult right now, but that too could change. New contracts have to be signed by everyone involved for any project.

There's no information on the possible spin off the TV show.
I wish they would have started it off as a series too with HBO or Starz. They both know how to adapt books. Right now this project sounds like a hot mess.

Ugh, completely agree! I think that it should have started as a tv series from the get go as well, because right now everything concerning Divergent is pretty much ruined for me (except the books, obviously). I'm a little scared of this news that Lionsgate acquired Starz. Starz is great at producing amazing tv series, especially adaptations, especially because they are not a major TV channel and I think are more concerned with doing things right than being commercial and I'm afraid that since now Lionsgate have the final decision and is "the big boss", there could be some changes to make some tv series, like possible new book adaptations, to make them more commercial - and we all saw what happened with Divergent and the final The Hunger Games. Idk, let's wait and see.

message 18: by Alma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alma (sammanson3) | 1 comments 1. Which was better book or movie?

The book. I've only read it once, and it had it's flaws. It was kind of hard to understand at times, and I struggled remembering that the book was written in both Tris and Four point of view. I still really liked Allegiant. Veronica Roth wasn't afraid of doing what most of YA dystopian authors are afraid to do and I respect her so much for that.
Now... the movie was way better than I expected. I had very low expectations because of all the changes they made in Insurgent and I am sure that's way I enjoyed it so much. It was completely different, and there were some moments where the CGI made it look kind of ridiculous, but in general I liked the movie.

A lot. To be honest, I didn't like how much they changed Peter's character. One of my favorite parts of the book was when he talked with Four about his feelings of being such an a**. I don't know if they are going to be able to put this scene in the second part of this movie, but I hope they find a way to do it.

I didn't like that they revealed David as the villian on the first part and I have mixed feelings about Caleb. They made him look so mean on Insurgent (compared to the book), and then they made him much more better in Allegiant. I liked it, but I don't know. I am afraid that the book ending won't have the same impact now.

About Four... I agree with one of the comments. I liked how they didn't portray him as the angsty teenager that he was in the books, but... to be honest, not having that flaw made him a less relatable character. I didn't like how he was acting on the books, but I have to admit that his attitude made a lot of sense. He had an abusive father and his mother abandoned him. Of course he can be insecure and have trust issues. After all, it was him who was right about David.

Mmm... I would recommend both but I can't promise that you will like them. Speaking about the book, either you like it or hate it, and I can say the same for the movie. Give it a try, and if you are not liking any of the two, just stop.

My favorite character will always be Christina, in the books, because we don't get to see her as much in the movies :( I hope they don't cut out her scene with Four in the last movie.

Caleb in the books was such a weird, but interesting character. I believe that he did love Tris, but... in his own weird twisted way xD I think of him as two different people.

Peter was a really interesting character too. I hate him sometimes, then I love him.

Yes, but I don't know how to explain it right now.

Alma wrote: "1. Which was better book or movie?

The book. I've only read it once, and it had it's flaws. It was kind of hard to understand at times, and I struggled remembering that the book was written in bot..."

Intriguing comments Alma. I enjoyed reading them as they triggered some memories from the books.

Reading these comments makes me want to watch the movies. I keep saying I will, but then I end up starting a new book or series. I have so many to get to. I'm putting it in my calendar to watch them this weekend.

I did watch the second and third movie over the weekend. I enjoyed them both as movies, not necessarily book adaptations.

I liked the sci-fi elements they added to Allegiant. They were interesting, but the story felt flat compared to the book. It seemed that Tris (Shailene Woodley) extruded passion for the cause and the others were just following along. It just didn't flow right and so it didn't feel right. I think I would have like it more if I hadn't read the book.

I think one of the problems of adapting YA books into movies is that the books are almost always in first person. In this case, we had two POV's. We knew their thoughts and their feelings. We knew the characters very well. You can't capture that to film and they did a very poor job in this series...or maybe they didn't even try? Either way it was a hot mess as a book adaptation... as movies, all were all okay for a one time watch.

It has been over a month since it was announced that the final movie would not air in theaters and there has been no new news and no contracts have been signed. I think it's dead. If I hear or read any news I will post it.