My Top Five Books discussion

My Top Five Books for March 1st

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Safie (new)

Safie (safiemf) | 7 comments Mod
Today is the first day of Spring, from my point of view anyway. (Not from the POV of most people in Ireland). But it feels like Spring so here goes:

1) If this is a Man/The Truce - Primo Levi

Probably the most powerful book (or rather books) I have read about the holocaust.

2) The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro

A profound and unforgettable treatise on repressed love and regret.

3) Eva Luna - Isabel Allende

Almost everything Allende writes is beautiful and I think this is her best work.

4) Saint Maybe - Anne Tyler

A young man takes a remarkable step to repair a wrong. A story of the unexpected turns life can take told in Anne Tyler's inimitably warm, nonjudgmental style.

5) The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

Adams bequeathed to the world the gift of unending laughter. This is still funny, after all these years.

message 2: by Yusuf (new)

Yusuf Toropov (BrandonToropov) | 6 comments Great list! I will have to start thinking of some springtime favorites.

message 3: by Tony (new)

Tony  | 1 comments This a strong list - Impossible to go wrong with Hitchhiker's Guide.. The Remains of the Day has been on my To Read list for some time. Should really get around to reading it.

message 4: by Yusuf (new)

Yusuf Toropov (BrandonToropov) | 6 comments I love Hitchhiker's Guide. One of those books that connects to very positive emotions in my life.

message 5: by Safie (new)

Mine too. It was the first book I borrowed when, aged 10, I was given an honorary adult membership card at my local library

message 6: by Safie (new)

The Remains of the Day is beautifully written, although the film is just as powerful, and it is Anthony Hopkins's voice I now hear when I read it.