Contemporary YA discussion

Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
This topic is about Dumplin'
Group Reads > Dumplin'

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Andrea | 1054 comments Mod

Self-proclaimed fat girl Willowdean Dickson (dubbed “Dumplin’” by her former beauty queen mom) has always been at home in her own skin. Her thoughts on having the ultimate bikini body? Put a bikini on your body. With her all-American beauty best friend, Ellen, by her side, things have always worked…until Will takes a job at Harpy’s, the local fast-food joint. There she meets Private School Bo, a hot former jock. Will isn’t surprised to find herself attracted to Bo. But she is surprised when he seems to like her back.

Instead of finding new heights of self-assurance in her relationship with Bo, Will starts to doubt herself. So she sets out to take back her confidence by doing the most horrifying thing she can imagine: entering the Miss Clover City beauty pageant—along with several other unlikely candidates—to show the world that she deserves to be up there as much as any twiggy girl does. Along the way, she’ll shock the hell out of Clover City—and maybe herself most of all.

With starry Texas nights, red candy suckers, Dolly Parton songs, and a wildly unforgettable heroine—Dumplin’ is guaranteed to steal your heart.

1. What did you like best about the book?
2. What did you like the least about the book?
3. Did any characters stand out to you?
4. Would you recommend this book?
5. Were there any lessons learned?
6. If you could ask the author one question what would it be?

Read... discuss and have fun!

message 2: by Quirky Omega (new)

Quirky Omega | 24 comments Oooh, it is great to come across books like these where the heroine takes charge of her issues. Plus the realistic setting doesn't hurt. :D

I'll be starting it next week and I'm really looking forward to it.

Theresa Marsala (tre_tre) | 63 comments I just borrowed this from the library- can't wait to start it!

Theresa Marsala (tre_tre) | 63 comments So far so good~ I'm only 20% in but I like the characters & set up already

I gave this one 3 stars. I really wanted to like it more, but I probably should have given it 2 stars. Parts were entertaining and I liked Will and how she stood up for herself and others, but some parts of the book were really boring. It was filled with everyday activities. It did pick up about half way through.

The pageant was just in the background until it actual happened. I wanted more pageant time. Not just for Will, but for her new friends too. The biggest let down was the ending. It was abrupt and disappointing. There was some information I wanted and didn't get. Just a few more pages and this could have had a feel good ending not just ...a blah what the heck it's over one.

Theresa Marsala (tre_tre) | 63 comments Just finished it & I thought it was good, but I guess my review would be pretty biased since I'm a plus sized curvy girl, been one my whole life, and I could relate to Willowdean. I enjoyed the characters & the topics of friendship & outcasts & boy troubles. I would like to think that she sashayed m into Harpeys at the end in that dress just to pull Bo over the counter by his apron to give him a kiss right there in front of everyone but that's just my hopes. I think she left the ending open because the story was more about the journey & facing fears than about getting the boy or the crown. It was a feel good story & I could totally see this being made into a movie! Thanks for picking this book this month!

Ramona Blue by Julie Murphy

Ramona Blue by Julie Murphy is out today. If you liked Dumplin' it's probably a safe choice for a good read.

Theresa Marsala (tre_tre) | 63 comments Thanks for the reminder!

You're very welcome. 🙂