Cozy Mystery Corner discussion

Featured Series and Cozies > Phryne Fisher by Kerry Greenwood

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nell (last edited Mar 01, 2016 05:13AM) (new)

Nell | 2766 comments Mod
The featured series for March is Phryne Fisher by Kerry Greenwood. The series is set in Melbourne Australia in the 1920s. There are twenty book in this series, the first is Cocaine Blues.
Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher, #1) by Kerry Greenwood

Other books in the series are:
Flying Too High (Phryne Fisher, #2) by Kerry Greenwood Murder on the Ballarat Train (Phryne Fisher, #3) by Kerry Greenwood Death at Victoria Dock (Phryne Fisher, #4) by Kerry Greenwood The Green Mill Murder (Phryne Fisher, #5) by Kerry Greenwood Blood and Circuses (Phryne Fisher, #6) by Kerry Greenwood Ruddy Gore (Phryne Fisher, #7) by Kerry Greenwood Urn Burial (Phryne Fisher, #8) by Kerry Greenwood Raisins and Almonds (Phryne Fisher, #9) by Kerry Greenwood Death Before Wicket (Phryne Fisher, #10) by Kerry Greenwood Away With the Fairies (Phryne Fisher, #11) by Kerry Greenwood Murder in Montparnasse (Phryne Fisher, #12) by Kerry Greenwood The Castlemaine Murders (Phryne Fisher, #13) by Kerry Greenwood Queen of the Flowers (Phryne Fisher, #14) by Kerry Greenwood Death by Water (Phryne Fisher, #15) by Kerry Greenwood Murder in the Dark (Phryne Fisher, #16) by Kerry Greenwood Murder on a Midsummer Night (Phryne Fisher, #17) by Kerry Greenwood Dead Man's Chest (Phryne Fisher, #18) by Kerry Greenwood Unnatural Habits (Phryne Fisher #19) by Kerry Greenwood Murder and Mendelssohn (Phryne Fisher #20) by Kerry Greenwood

Flying Too High
Murder on the Ballarat Train
Death at Victoria Dock
The Green Mill Murder
Blood and Circuses
Ruddy Gore
Urn Burial
Raisins and Almonds
Death Before Wicket
Away With the Fairies
Murder in Montparnasse
The Castlemaine Murders
Queen of the Flowers
Death by Water
Murder in the Dark
Murder on a Midsummer Night
Dead Man's Chest
Unnatural Habits
Murder and Mendelssohn

Discuss any books in the series here. Let us know which book you are reading.

message 2: by Nell (last edited Mar 01, 2016 05:15AM) (new)

Nell | 2766 comments Mod
I've heard about this series from other GR cozy readers. I'm looking forward to checking it out for myself.

message 3: by Jeanne (new)

Jeanne (oldemill) | 204 comments I'm just starting Cocaine Blues and looking forward to something different.

message 4: by Pam (new)

Pam (maddustkitties) I caught a couple of the episodes on PBS and I enjoyed them. I'm looking forward to starting this book (I'm starting it this week), and then reading the series.

message 5: by Tracie (new)

Tracie | 28 comments I've seen every episode on Netflix and look forward to start reading this series as well. My little puppy is even named Hugh Collins after the constable

message 6: by Jane (new)

Jane | 19 comments I have read every one of the Phryne Fisher series when it has been released and absolutely love them. Now I'm in the process of watching the Australian TV series and think the actress that plays Phryne is wonderful

message 7: by SherryRose (new)

SherryRose Jane wrote: "I have read every one of the Phryne Fisher series when it has been released and absolutely love them. Now I'm in the process of watching the Australian TV series and think the actress that plays Ph..."

I agree. She's very good and so beautiful

message 8: by Julesy (new)

Julesy | 396 comments I agree the actress is very beautiful and seems to fit the role of the character very well. My husband loves this show. I hope to be able to fit this book in this month.

message 9: by Robert (new)

Robert (rdowens) I finished this today. I wasn't terribly impressed. A couple components of the story seemed superfluous. I did like the language used. Phryne did not endear herself to this reader. I am willing to accept that I am at odds with the masses on this one.

To the next book . . .

message 10: by Randa (new)

Randa | 175 comments Robert wrote: "I finished this today. I wasn't terribly impressed. A couple components of the story seemed superfluous. I did like the language used. Phryne did not endear herself to this reader. I am willing to ..."

Nope I'm with you, although a part of me wants to read at least one more to see if the series becomes more interesting. I must say the heroine is definitely not your usual type and although not my cup of tea it is slightly refreshing.

message 11: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2766 comments Mod
I started reading Cocaine Blues this weekend. The style reminds me of the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series because of the focus on the main character and the events surrounding her. Phryne cleverly solves a jewelry theft in the first chapter which leads to her trip to Australia.

Unlike other books where the MC is a member of the aristocracy, Phryne and her family were impoverished until the death of several relatives left her father an heir. She vividly recalls the early years of hunger and despair. It adds depth and dimension to her character - an empathy with the working poor and a shrewd sometimes cynical appraisal of the upper class.

message 12: by Nell (last edited Mar 21, 2016 04:03AM) (new)

Nell | 2766 comments Mod
Here's a glossary that defines some of the slang words and expressions used in the Phryne Fisher novels:

http://phrynefisher.com/glossary.html

message 13: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 2457 comments Mod
I watched Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries before reading the book, and Essie Davis is the embodiment of Phryne for me. I feel like the show gave an extra dimension to Phryne, which added to my enjoyment of the book. It also allowed me to picture the fashions, which I loved - and I usually get tired of clothing descriptions in books. Phryne is so confident in her abilities and determinably sets out to solve the crime. I agree with Nell on her feelings regarding the social classes. And her love life, well love's not involved, but she sure knows how to have fun. I can't wait to read more in the series.

message 14: by Nell (new)

Nell | 2766 comments Mod
I finished Cocaine Blues and liked it. I'll be reading more in the series and looking for the TV movies. Refreshingly different.

message 15: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Bo (sharonlpb) | 234 comments I "met" Phryne on PBS and loved her. I've since seen all the epusodes they've aired and read several of the books. The series i on my TBR list. Her independence, concern for the welfare of others, and free spirit are traits I love about the character. I also love the historical period and the Australian setting.

message 16: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 2457 comments Mod
I read Flying Too High and have Murder on the Ballarat Train. The books are so easy to get through in one setting, and I am hooked on them.

message 17: by Nancy (last edited Apr 01, 2016 02:50AM) (new)

Nancy (nancyjcohen) | 42 comments I have just started getting into this series via the TV shows and am enjoying them. Also check out The Brokenwood Mysteries. These take place in New Zealand.

message 18: by Mary (new)

Mary (mw8019) | 273 comments I just found the series on our PBS channel also. I think they are great too. I even have my Hubby interested in it, he never likes it when I tell me I read it in a book. I found Grantchester on PBS Masterpiece theater too. They are worth looking into. Stanley is a minister turned sleuth! I just started his first book! It is very good.

Worth checking out