The Reading Challenge Group discussion

Group Read Archive 2014-16 > Genre Group Read (Mystery - Mar 2016) - The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkings

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Holly, That Geeky One (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) | 1949 comments Mod
This massively popular book, The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins is our pick for Mystery month!

If anyone would like the lead the discussion and pose questions/discussion topics, that would be great!

message 2: by Roseanne (new)

Roseanne | 1223 comments I read this I while ago. I really liked it. Crazy book. Before I read it I heard so many compare it to Gone Girl. Its nothing like Gone Girl. I don't understand why people said that. Still a good read.

message 3: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Renee M | 4720 comments Mod
Anyone who enjoyed Gone Girl will probably like this as well. I've read both already but will tap in from time to time just to see how it's going. Is anyone interested in leading the discussion?

message 4: by Ieva (new)

Ieva (itsnowhere) I read this book back in January and I didn't like it at all! I think most people will enjoy this read, because it is a crime mystery. However, I thought that the plot was very predictable and I solved the whole mystery after the first 10 chapters (probably because all I watch is crime TV shows like 'Criminal Minds', "CSI', "The Mentalist', 'Luther', etc.) so it wasn't hard for me to solve it. I also think that this book will be better as a movie. I guess these are just my thoughts on it, I had higher expectations for it because of the hype

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather | 97 comments This is the next book in my TBR pile, so it fits in perfectly with this group read! Can't wait to get started

message 6: by Sam F (new)

Sam F | 198 comments I just finished reading The Girl on the Train. I enjoyed it as an easy read with some interesting twists, but it did get a bit repetitive after awhile. I too found it quite predictable and would prefer something with a bit more mystery to it rather than crime focused.

message 7: by Alessandra (new)

Alessandra (chibisuke) | 266 comments I just finished it. I was a bit surprised about Megans past, but otherwise it was quiet predictable... Was I the only one disliking all 3 female lead characters?

message 8: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (last edited Mar 20, 2016 04:22AM) (new)

Renee M | 4720 comments Mod
I agree, Alessandra. I don't remember finding any of the characters likable. I did think that the use of both the blackouts and the main character's fear/need-to-please as plot devices was interesting.

message 9: by Roseanne (new)

Roseanne | 1223 comments I didn't like any of the characters. They were awful people. I kept wanting to smack Rachel.

message 10: by Alessandra (new)

Alessandra (chibisuke) | 266 comments I'm glad I'm not the only one finding none of the characters likable. I understand your impulse completely, Roseanne! But I thought Anna was worse. Rachel just kept on making the same mistakes which was frustrating to the max, but Anna just got on my nerves real quick with her paranoia towards Rachel. Of course it was reasonable, but it was to such an extreme...

I agree with you, Renee! The blackouts were what kept me hooked. I wanted to know what happened during those times more than I wanted to know anything else!

message 11: by Heather (new)

Heather | 97 comments Alessandra wrote: "I just finished it. I was a bit surprised about Megans past, but otherwise it was quiet predictable... Was I the only one disliking all 3 female lead characters?"

I'm with you as well... And it didn't stop with the 3 lead characters, I found no one in this book likeable! As a 'mystery / thriller' book I found it disappointing, when reading a thriller, I want to be on the edge of my seat, resisting the urge to turn the page too soon, I don't want it to be this predictable.

message 12: by Maina (new)

Maina | 10 comments I had such high expectations for this book based on all of the reviews and comparisons to Gone Girl. I will definitely agree that it was nothing like Gone Girl. I also didn't find any of the characters likable; they were all horrible people! Rachel was the only one that I felt sorry for because she seemed to have some kind of mental illness that she needed treatment for. I also predicted what really happened that night fairly early on, which was disappointing, but the confrontation was somewhat suspenseful. I was definitely expecting more from this book. Oh well.

message 13: by Roseanne (new)

Roseanne | 1223 comments I don't understand why people compared it to gone girl. The only thing that I find the same between the two is I dislike all the characters in both books.

message 14: by Alessandra (new)

Alessandra (chibisuke) | 266 comments I felt the same, Heather! None of the characters were very likeable. Except for Cathy. I could understand her as I'd have gotten annoyed with a friend like Rachel way sooner. But other than Cathy (who was only a small side character) there wasn't anybody I felt sympathy for.
I normally expect something different from a Thriller as well. I even can accept slower parts or predictable parts if the story manages to leave me baffled & surprised at the end of it all. Unfortunately this one didn't manage that at all.

Seeing people comparing it to Gone Girl and a lot of readers pointing out that Gone Girl was so much better I'm really curious about Gone Girl now. I already own the book, but haven't gotten around to reading it. Probably going to move it up my priority list now.

message 15: by PinkieFairy (new)

PinkieFairy (pinkifairy) I just started reading The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins and last night the Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn vibe hit me. Now I hated Gone girl so much that I wanted to through the book out the window when I was done. In skimming though the comments here I see that I might not be the only one and it looks like this book is a bit on the frustrating side too. That makes me not want to finish it but I will keep going and see what comes out of it. I am so happy that I was able to borrow this book through Overdrive instead of buying it.

message 16: by Mindy (new)

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) I read it back in February 2015 so I don't remember it well enough to have substantive comments. I did enjoy it. I also didn't love any of the characters, but I don't have to like characters to like a book. (Case in point: Bonfire of the Vanities! Great satirical work, full of hideous people.) I did like Cathy at least -- she was clearly trying to be a friend while in an impossible situation.

I thought the story unfolded in interesting ways and I didn't see what was coming at the end, but that's typical for me!

Mindy

message 17: by Roseanne (new)

Roseanne | 1223 comments I agree with you Mindy, I can hate all the characters and still like the book.

message 18: by PinkieFairy (new)

PinkieFairy (pinkifairy) So far I don't even think that I have the energy to even dislike the characters. They are very uninspiring to me at this point but I am only about half way through the book.

message 19: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 77 comments I read this at the end of February/beginning of March. I felt like the first 2/3rds of the story was just sort of slogging along. I know there were twists and turns to add interest, but I didn't find myself caring too much about anyone or anything. With that being said, I thought the last third of the story saved the book for me. It held my interest and included some twists I didn't see (although I think I was in the minority)! Still, this isn't one I'll be revisiting any time soon.

message 20: by PinkieFairy (new)

PinkieFairy (pinkifairy) I just couldn't. I decided to not finish this book as much as I tried to. The story is dragging and I just can't find any character interesting enough to stay engaged. Maybe someday I will pick it up again but I just can't continue to invest time of effort into the book.