Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Agnes Grey
This topic is about Agnes Grey
Bronte Sisters Collection > Agnes Grey - NO Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Pink | 6556 comments This is our Old School Classic Group Read for March 2016.

Please use this thread for general, spoiler free discussion of Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë

If you wish to discuss the plot in more detail, then please use the spoiler thread here

If you would like a free copy of the book, here are some links for online, kindle and audio versions:

Project Gutenberg

Amazon UK

Amazon.com

Librivox (Three to choose from)

Philina | 1562 comments Started listening!

Melanti | 2386 comments I listened to this last week, cause I wanted to get it done before starting a longer book.

I've got to say... I didn't like this one at all. I was so disappointed in it - especially after how much I liked The Tenant of Wildfell Hall.

Agnes comes off as way too sanctimonious for my tastes.

I hope you guys finish it soon, because I've been wanting to talk about it all week!

Kelly B (kellybey) | 266 comments Thanks for the links to the free copies! Nothing beats a free book:-).

I plan on starting it as soon as I finish my current read.

I don't think I've read anything by sister Anne. I have read Wuthering Heights (loved!) and Jane Eyre (hated!).

The Brontes were a fascinating family. I've got The Brontës on my TBR list. Has anyone read it?

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll be starting the book this week. The only Brontë book I've read is Jane Eyre. It was OK. That said, I'm looking forward to this one. Once I get going, I'll head over to the spoiler thread.

Pink | 6556 comments Oh Melanti, that's interesting that you didn't like this one, but preferred The Tenant...I read this a couple of years ago and was impressed, but haven't read her other book yet.

Kelly, no I haven't read The Brontës, but I agree they're fascinating. I have read and can recommend The Infernal World of Branwell Brontë by Daphne du Maurier which looked closely at Branwell, as well as the rest of the family's relationships.

Kathleen | 3667 comments Wuthering Heights is right up at the top of my favorites list, and I'm reading Jane Eyre this year. It is so interesting the range of opinions about these!

I've never read Anne. I started this today and have the feeling it will be pretty fast. My copy has her poetry at the end, which should be fun.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments Anne is my favorite Bronte.

I read AG with a women's lit group and really liked it.

Melanti, I'll agree that this was a bit preachy, but I decided to look at the big picture of the social commentary that Anne was making. But I'll admit the tone was preachy.

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments I loved The Tenant of Wildfell Hallt and Jane Eyre...
And disliked Wuthering Heights...

This one i plan to read sometime soon..

Philina | 1562 comments siriusedward wrote: "I loved The Tenant of Wildfell Hallt and Jane Eyre...
And disliked Wuthering Heights..."

Me too!

message 11: by siriusedward (new) - added it

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments Phil wrote: "siriusedward wrote: "I loved The Tenant of Wildfell Hallt and Jane Eyre...

Me too!"

:D

Melanti | 2386 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Melanti, I'll agree that this was a bit preachy, but I decided to look at the big picture of the social commentary that Anne was making. But I'll admit the tone was preachy. ..."

She does have a couple of valid points specific to being a governess.

But - much of what she complains about regarding her own situation is even worse for the rest of the servants of the household. And she never is able to look past her own problems and realize that it's not just her that has problems. It's ALL the employees. And the rest of the servants' lives are far more restrictive than hers.

And given that, half the time when she started in on the woe is me act, I felt like rolling my eyes...

message 13: by Pink (last edited Mar 02, 2016 06:09AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pink | 6556 comments Phil wrote: "siriusedward wrote: "I loved The Tenant of Wildfell Hallt and Jane Eyre...

Me too!"

And me, but I've read Agnes Grey instead of The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. I think Emily is my least favourite.

message 14: by Sylwia (last edited Mar 02, 2016 02:53PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Sylwia (sylwialovesloki) | 145 comments Ive read Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre. I like Eyre better. Both strike me as gothic romance fan fiction. Which I enjoy. Im through 24 percent of AG and Anne feels like she's the preachy sister. I saw the movie of Tenant, which I enjoyed and that was preachy too.

message 15: by Chris (new)

Chris | 235 comments I don't mind preachy if it's done well. It stretches me and allows me to weigh things I may not have noticed and grow in ways I may not have realized.

I've read some Victorian literature where it's done well and others where it's absolutely terrible. I have no comment on this specifically though as I've not read it. Going to try to squeeze it in this month if I can.

message 16: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabethlk) | 10 comments I'm getting really close to the finish line of The Tenant of Wildfell Hall (which is quite good; preachy, but ahead of its time). Once I'm done that, I'm hoping to read Agnes Grey before the group is done with it.

Kelly B (kellybey) | 266 comments I just "bought";-) the free copy of Agnes Grey for my Kindle. I look forward to starting it tonight.

message 18: by Pink (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pink | 6556 comments Kelly wrote: "I just "bought";-) the free copy of Agnes Grey for my Kindle. I look forward to starting it tonight."

Great :)

message 19: by Tom (new)

Tom | 44 comments I am reading Tenant right now. Well actually I have been reading it for about a year(!) according to my start date on Goodreads but I lost interest about the half way point and set it aside. I really like it but it could use a heavy dose of editing down.