Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives Retired Folder Threads > May 2016 Old School Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Pink (last edited Mar 01, 2016 11:35AM) (new)

Pink | 6554 comments May 2016 Nominations - Old School Classics group read

1. Books that have already been featured as group reads and currently on our bookshelf are not eligible to be nominated.

Bookshelf link: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

2. Only books that were published before 1900 are eligible to be nominated in this section.

3. Only one nomination OR one second, per member. Only books that have been seconded will advance to polls.

4. Nominations will remain open until the 14th March; polls will open on the 16th and run until 31st March.

message 2: by Jon (new)

Jon (jonpill) | 122 comments I nominate Eugene Onegin by Alexander Pushkin. One of the more important bits of Russian literature from one of its more important writers. Subtitled 'a novel in verse' = a bit different.

message 3: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Thanks Jon, I don't think we've read any Pushkin as a group yet and neither have I, so I should probably get around to it.

message 4: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments Eugen Onegin sounds good! I saw it in opera form last Christmas.
I won't second it yet, because for any well-founded opinion I need a wider base of possibilities to choose from.

message 5: by Amy (new)

Amy Eckert | 117 comments I nominate Crime and Punishment. It's a book I have always wanted to read, but never got past the first few chapters. It's one of the books I want to read on my New Year's Resolution. I really want to read it and have interesting conversations about it.

message 6: by Loretta (new)

Loretta | 2668 comments I nominate The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. Published in 1880 and 776 pages.

message 7: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1919 comments I think C&P has already been a choice, and The Idiot is slated for April, so in a radical move away from Dostoyevsky ;o) I would like to nominate:
The Adventures of Baron Münchausen

message 8: by Kelly B (new)

Kelly B (kellybey) | 266 comments I would like to nominate Uncle Silas by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu.

message 9: by Alissa (new)

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) I nominate Black Beauty

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I nominate The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy.

message 11: by Emily (new)

message 12: by Janet (new)

Janet (goodreadscomjanetj) | 852 comments I would also like to nominate a Thomas Hardy novel. I nominate Jude the Obscure

message 13: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (tnbooklover) I second Uncle Silas

message 14: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Oh, you've all been busy...

Amy, I'm afraid Darren is right, Crime and Punishment has already been a group read, so it's ineligible in this category, but can be nominated for a re-read in the 'Revisit the Shelf' category.

Here's what we have so far:

Nominated:
Eugene Onegin by Alexander Pushkin
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy
The Monk by Matthew Gregory Lewis
Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy

Seconded:
Uncle Silas by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu

We have 2 Hardy books nominated at the moment, which is absolutely fine, but just be aware that this can split the voting at polls.

message 15: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9558 comments Mod
Emily wrote: "I nominate The Monk by Matthew Gregory Lewis."

I'll second this one.

message 16: by Jen (new)

Jen  (jennsps) | 121 comments Can I second two books? If so, I second both Hardy books. If not, I second The Mayor of Casterbridge.

message 17: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments I nominate Villette.

message 18: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments I nominate Oblomov.

message 19: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Jen wrote: "Can I second two books? If so, I second both Hardy books. If not, I second The Mayor of Casterbridge."

Only one second or one nomination.

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah I would like to nominate Sentimental Education by Gustave Flaubert.

message 21: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 421 comments I second Sentimental Education.

message 22: by Nargus (new)

Nargus | 567 comments Alissa wrote: "I nominate Black Beauty"

I second this.

As much as I'd love to read another Dostoyevsky, that'll have to wait until I've got my finals out of the way.

Also, Kathy, if you read this - you should know that you're list (from the Old&New classic challenge) inspired me to look into Black Beauty. For some reason, my view of BB was tainted by a memory of a shabby cartoon DVD I never finished watching as a child.

message 23: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Cool, thanks Nargus! I love that we all share book lists here in the group. I get some of my best reads by perusing member lists.

message 24: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3937 comments I nominate Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe again, 1852, 438 pages. It had a good showing last month, so I'd like to give it another try.

message 26: by Darren (new)

Darren (dazburns) | 1919 comments aaand my nomination for The Adventures of Baron Münchausen

message 27: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 5464 comments Mod
I will second The Adventures of Baron Münchausen. I think a good laugh might be just the thing I will need.

message 28: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Darren wrote: "aaand my nomination for The Adventures of Baron Münchausen"

Sorry, missed that, adding now :)

message 29: by Shraddha (new)

Shraddha Datta (shraddhayo) I second Uncle Tom's Cabin

message 30: by Amy (new)

Amy Eckert | 117 comments When do we vote? I second, or third Mayor of Casterbridge. I've already read Jude, but if Jude wins, I will happily join in conversations about it.

message 31: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Amy, all the info is at the top of the page if you're unsure of anything. Nominations are open until the 14th, then voting starts on the 16th :)

message 32: by Amy (new)

Amy Eckert | 117 comments Ah, ok thanks. It always helps to read directions:)

message 33: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments No problem Amy :)

message 34: by Tom (new)

Tom | 17 comments I third Uncle Tom's Cabin

message 35: by Julie (new)

Julie | 644 comments Darren wrote: "aaand my nomination for The Adventures of Baron Münchausen"

2nd

message 36: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4959 comments Mod
I nominate Thérèse Raquin by Émile Zola, 201 pages, 1867

message 37: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Bob wrote: "I nominate Thérèse Raquin by Émile Zola, 201 pages, 1867"

Added to the list :)

message 38: by Maarit (last edited Mar 05, 2016 08:59AM) (new)

Maarit | 285 comments I second Thérèse Raquin :)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1791 comments I'll second "Jude the Obscure" by THardy.

message 41: by Yegor (new)

Yegor | 8 comments I'll second "Oblomov" by Goncharov

message 42: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments Yegor wrote: "I'll second "Oblomov" by Goncharov"

Oh, yeah, thank you Yegor!!!

message 43: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Andrea and Yegor, I've added your seconds to the list....and I'm going to second Vilette

message 44: by Bat-Cat (new)

Bat-Cat | 1299 comments Pink wrote: "Andrea and Yegor, I've added your seconds to the list....and I'm going to second Vilette"

It's starting to look like a really good selection of Old School Classics for the May vote. >^=^<

message 45: by Wreade1872 (last edited Mar 09, 2016 07:00AM) (new)

Wreade1872 | 850 comments I nominate Wieland by Charles Brockden Brown (1798).

message 46: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments Bat-Cat, yes the list is looking great....and I was worried that we might not get enough seconds with the new rule change, haha!

Wreade, I'll add your nomination to the list above :)

message 47: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments Thank you for seconding Villette, Pink!
The list is surprisingly long! I thought with the new rule it would be much shorter.

message 48: by Amy (new)

Amy Eckert | 117 comments I can't wait to vote! I'm hoping someone seconds The Brothers Karamazov.

message 49: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6554 comments There's time yet!

message 50: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 587 comments I'll chime in with another second for The Adventures of Baron Münchausen

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.