You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Group Themed Reads: Discussions > March 2016 - The Girl in the Photograph

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments One of the group reads for March is The Girl in the Photograph by female author Kate Riordan. Please discuss the book in this thread.

In order to receive a badge you must:
1. have completed the book before or during March 2016.
2. discussed it in this thread. Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc. You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in this thread.
3. Report that you have read AND discussed the book in the reporting thread (include a brief summary of what you thought of the book).

General Rules:
1. Please mark your spoilers with the spoiler tags along with mentioning what stage of the book you are at so other's don't get a nasty shock. Chapter numbers/titles are generally best as they are the same across all formats and editions.
2. The book may be combined with the Year Long Challenge, Topplers, and Monthly Challenges.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Lisa (last edited Mar 01, 2016 03:03AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I started this yesterday. The UK edition doesn't have chapter numbers. The book is told from the viewpoint of two characters, Alice and Elizabeth, and each new section is headed up by one of their names. I am up to Page 63 (Alice, 1933).

I am enjoying it so far. I have seen reviews that have compared this book to the works of Kate Morton and Daphne du Maurier and I can definitely see where those comparisons come from. I really like the writing style, Kate Riordan is very descriptive and I am enjoying all the lush descriptions of the Cotswolds which is a part of the UK that I know fairly well (I don't live there but used to go there quite a lot when I was a kid).

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

In case anyone is interested, I will link the website for Owlpen Manor. It's a Tudor manor house and estate in Gloucestershire and it was the inspiration for Fiercombe Manor. There are some nice pictures of the house and estate on there.

http://www.owlpen.com

message 3: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15384 comments Sounds good Lisa! I had never heard of this book before someone nominated it, but I would love to read it. I'm also reading The Lake House which would fit and I want to read Church of Marvels too, and I don't own this one, so we'll see how it goes.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments It was me that nominated it :) It had been sitting on my TBR for over a year so I was really glad when female authors won the vote for this month's theme. Most of the books that I have planned for this month are by female authors but this is the one that I am going to report for the group read. I'm also going to be joining in on 'The Lake House' buddy read. I read 'Church of Marvels' last year and really enjoyed it. I would highly recommend it :)

message 5: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I'll be reading this one. I almost read it for one of our monthly challenges but never did. I'll pick it up this week from the library but not sure exactly when I'll get to it since I have a few I need to read first.

I'll check out the manor pics. thanks!

message 6: by Tasha (new)

Tasha So beautiful!! You should go there for a weekend or something, Lisa!

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Tasha wrote: "So beautiful!! You should go there for a weekend or something, Lisa!"

Who knows, maybe I will one day :)

message 8: by Tasha (new)

Tasha That would be fun!

message 9: by Lisa (last edited Mar 02, 2016 06:07AM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I am now up to Page 202 (Elizabeth).

(view spoiler)

I am really intrigued by the (view spoiler)

I am really enjoying the gothic elements of the story. (view spoiler)

I can't wait to see where the story goes from here, particularly now that (view spoiler)

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I am now up to Page 307 (Alice).

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I have finished. I gave it 3 stars in the end because I found the second half of the book to be quite slow and I thought the ending was fairly predictable and more than a little anticlimactic. I kept hoping for a big twist but sadly, it never came. (view spoiler) I also felt that some of the gothic elements were wasted as they didn't really amount to anything. It was still an enjoyable enough read and I will definitely check out some more of Kate Riordan's work in the future, it's just a pity that this didn't finish as strongly as it started.

message 12: by Kaylene (new)

Kaylene | 1 comments I'm 130 pages in and finding it a bit slow going.
Looking forward to exploring a bit more of the manor though, it really is atmospheric.

message 13: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments I'm finding this book to be very well-written, but slow-going at times. I've thought about abandoning it a few times, because it's not moving fast enough, and this isn't the type of story I typically like to read... although if things heat up, then maybe it will be.

I can definitely see how it could be compared to Rebecca and how Mrs. Jelphs is in some way like Mrs. Danvers, although more caring at times.

There is definitely a gothic feel to the story. Are there ghosts? We'll see. I'm certain something very tragic happened to Elizabeth. The estate has a long history and some of it not good. There is a point where Alice overhears that the area is "tainted," So, will history show us that everyone who's lived there has suffered in some way.

(view spoiler)

message 14: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Although slow at times, I managed to finish this somewhat predictable book. Thinking I'll give it 3 stars. Not sure yet. It is well-written and may deserve a 4 for that, but it certainly was not another Rebecca.

(view spoiler)

message 15: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I've started and so far so good but I'm completely anticipating a downturn based on all your comments. haha

I like that the modern day POV (Alice) is not that modern, 1930s.

message 16: by Kaylene (last edited Mar 22, 2016 06:10AM) (new)

Kaylene | 1 comments I just finished.
My experience of this book - It was a bit like taking a long walk along the beach and then turning around to realise that I had gone so far and still had to walk all the way back. I took a breath, kept going and in the end was glad I persevered.
3/5

message 17: by Tasha (last edited Mar 25, 2016 05:11AM) (new)

Tasha I'm a little over halfway through and I'm enjoying it still at this point. I'm not bothered yet as I'm still enjoying the pacing and the gothic feel of the story. I'm enjoying the 2 timelines and that the newer timelines is still in the past (1930s).

message 18: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments Tasha wrote: "I like that the modern day POV (Alice) is not that modern, 1930s."

I liked that, too, Tasha. It was refreshing in respects to other stories I'd read where there are 2 different time-frames in the plot.

message 19: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I'm finished and I'm so glad I ended up reading this one, I almost didn't after the majority consensus seemed to be more mediocre. I loved it! I didn't give it 5 stars though bc of (view spoiler)

I loved the gothic feel of it, it felt so authentic and not like the author worked too hard to create it. I also wanted to see the grounds, I think she did a great job of creating a feeling of the grounds, so beautiful yet alive with energy, both good and bad. I loved that. I am going to be exploring (virtually) the Owlpen manor more in depth now that I've read the book.

I will definitely be reading more of her stuff. I think she ranks close to Sarah Waters and Daphne duMaurier.

You'll love this one...!! A book club & more

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Rebecca (other topics)
The Girl in the Photograph (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Kate Riordan (other topics)