You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Group Themed Reads: Discussions > March 2016 - Church of Marvels

Comments Showing 1-50 of 95 (95 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments One of the group reads for March is Church of Marvels by female author Leslie Parry. Please discuss the book in this thread.

In order to receive a badge you must:
1. have completed the book before or during March 2016.
2. discussed it in this thread. Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc. You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in this thread.
3. Report that you have read AND discussed the book in the reporting thread (include a brief summary of what you thought of the book).

General Rules:
1. Please mark your spoilers with the spoiler tags along with mentioning what stage of the book you are at so other's don't get a nasty shock. Chapter numbers/titles are generally best as they are the same across all formats and editions.
2. The book may be combined with the Year Long Challenge, Topplers, and Monthly Challenges.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I've put in a reservation at the library for this one.

message 3: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15077 comments I plan to read this. I bought an e-book not so long ago. I'm reading something else (by a female author) right now though, and a buddy read (also by a female author) next, so it will be a week or two before I start.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I read this last year when it was first published and really enjoyed it. I hope you all enjoy it too!

message 5: by Tasha (new)

Tasha I enjoyed it as well! I hope you all do too.

message 6: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48692 comments It may be a week before I get to it as well. I'm reading a chunkster right now and it may take a week to finish it.

message 7: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments I am looking forward to reading this book.

message 8: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I wasn't going to read this one at first, instead I was going to read a book I already own which is by a female author. But then when I saw it combined settings of a mental asylum AND a carnival/circus I just couldn't resist!

message 9: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48692 comments I started the book last night. I've never read anything by Leslie Parry before. Ha! I just looked at her author page and this looks like it's her first novel. The other two books are anthologies to which she's contributed.

I've read the prologue and chapter 1, and I'm already enjoying her style. I thought the prologue was very poetic and fluid. Thought provoking too. I highlighted the last sentence which seems to set the tone of the story, For I've found that here in this city, the lights burn ever brighter, but they cast the darkest shadows I know.

Chapter one - (view spoiler)

message 10: by Kirila (new)

Kirila | 612 comments I also started last night and read the prologue and chapter one. I am also enjoying the writing style. But I have no idea what's going on so far.

Chapter one - (view spoiler)

message 11: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48692 comments Kirila wrote: "I also started last night and read the prologue and chapter one. I am also enjoying the writing style. But I have no idea what's going on so far.

Chapter one - [spoilers removed]"

The prologue - (view spoiler)

Chapter 1 - (view spoiler)

message 12: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48692 comments I only managed to read Chapter 2 last night before sleep overwhelmed me. I put the book away and turned out the light, only to lie there for a while.

Chapter 2, Odile - (view spoiler)

message 13: by Kirila (new)

Kirila | 612 comments Chapter 2 - (view spoiler)

message 14: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48692 comments Oh that reminds me. Tigers seem to be a theme in the book. They keep being mentioned.

Chapter 3 - We meet a new character, Alphie. (view spoiler)

message 15: by Lori (new)

Lori (glitzyrebel) | 433 comments I have read through Chapter 4. The author has definitely created unique characters and interesting situations.

message 16: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48692 comments Chapter 4 - (view spoiler)

I'm a little confused about the time frame. The only date that I've noticed so far was at the beginning of Part 1, so I must presume that the four stories are happening concurrently.

message 17: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48692 comments Lori wrote: "I have read through Chapter 4. The author has definitely created unique characters and interesting situations."

What do you think so far, Lori? Are you liking it? Any theories?

message 18: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48692 comments I've read to the end of Chapter 10 and am half way into the book.

Chapter 5 - Odile: I'm not sure I'm caring for the alternating POV's in this book. While I've read other books before that use this technique and not minded it, this time, I feel a bit disjointed. Perhaps that's intended. (view spoiler)

Chapter 6 - Alphie: (view spoiler)

Chapter 7 - Odile: (view spoiler)

Chapter 8 - Sylvan: (view spoiler)

Chapter 9 - Alphie: (view spoiler)

The more I read this book, the more disillusioned and disheartened I feel by the way people live and act. (view spoiler)

message 19: by Lori (last edited Mar 12, 2016 08:25PM) (new)

Lori (glitzyrebel) | 433 comments Janice wrote: "Lori wrote: "I have read through Chapter 4. The author has definitely created unique characters and interesting situations."

What do you think so far, Lori? Are you liking it? Any theories?"

I have absolutely no idea how any of these stories connect together. But I am liking the story. This author has a wonderful imagination.

Not liking the abrupt shift from Chapter 5 to 6.....

message 20: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48692 comments Lori wrote: "I have absolutely no idea how any of these stories connect together...."

I'm starting to make some connections and I'm at chapter 10. I think this is a very good debut.

message 21: by Lori (new)

Lori (glitzyrebel) | 433 comments The only thing I'm wonder about(view spoiler)

message 22: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48692 comments Lori wrote: "The only thing I'm wonder about[spoilers removed]"

It's a possibility, but I'm not sure at this point. The thing I wonder about is whether or not (view spoiler)

I'm off to bed with the book. Maybe I'll have answers in a short while.

message 23: by Lori (new)

Lori (glitzyrebel) | 433 comments I didn't notice (view spoiler)
Chapter 7-(view spoiler)
Going to bed, further revelations will have to wait until tomorrow.....

message 24: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48692 comments I guess I noticed the discrepancy in the eye colours because mine are green. The first mention of hazel eyes was in Chapter 1. (view spoiler).

message 25: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48692 comments I finished the book and there were some shocking twists!

Chapter 13 - (view spoiler)

Chapter 14 - (view spoiler)

Chapter 15 - (view spoiler)

Chapter 16 - (view spoiler)

Chapter 17 to the end - (view spoiler)

Epilogue - (view spoiler)

I'm going to rate the book 4 stars. There were some inconsistencies and confusing events that keep it from being a 5.

message 26: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48692 comments I hope more people pop by to read and discuss this book. There were 8 people who voted for it.

message 27: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15077 comments I will! I did the buddy read for The Lake House first and am now reading my challenge book. This one is up next. Still half of March to go so plenty of time :)

Good to read you enjoyed it so much Janice. Seems like you flew through it! Do you usually finish books within 3 days or was this one especially hard to put down?

message 28: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48692 comments It's a combination of the two, Peggy. It was hard to put down especially once you start making the connections between the characters.

It's funny that you say that there's lots of time left in March. Because of the nature of my work and deadlines due at the end of the month, the last two weeks always seem to fly by. When I get to mid-month, I react with, "ACK! There's only two weeks left in the month!" LOL!

I'll be looking forward to your comments.

message 29: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15077 comments I read the prologue and chapter 1 this morning on the train. Like all of you, I enjoy the writing style.

(view spoiler)

message 30: by Ava Catherine (last edited Mar 15, 2016 08:08AM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments I have read to chapter 5 and have fallen in love with this book. I love the setting; both time and place. The prologue pulled me right into the story, and now I don't want to put the book down because there are so many secrets and unanswered questions.
(view spoiler)
I think a sword swallower who cannot swallow is an important symbol (clue) in the story.

message 31: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48692 comments Yes, Connie. Something is amiss! I'm glad that you and Peggy are enjoying the story. It brought up such a range of emotions for me.

message 32: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments I have read through chapter 7, and I need more time for reading!
(view spoiler)

message 33: by Fee (last edited Mar 15, 2016 11:39AM) (new)

Fee | 232 comments I also started to read this one. The prologue and chapter 1 are captivating although i have no idea what this story is about. I'm excited to find out.

message 34: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48692 comments Connie (Ava Catherine) wrote: "I have read through chapter 7, and I need more time for reading!
[spoilers removed]"

Re: scissors - (view spoiler)

message 35: by Kirila (new)

Kirila | 612 comments Ready with Chapter 3 and 4. In the beginning I kept wondering how these stories were related, but when chapter 4 was about Sylvan again, I figured we will only find out later in the book. I am curious if they are set at the same time or are part of the story of one character.

I didn't get to read much this weekend, but I hoping to catch up this week. Going away for the weekend, which also means reading time on the plane :)

message 36: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48692 comments Kirila wrote: "Ready with Chapter 3 and 4. In the beginning I kept wondering how these stories were related, but when chapter 4 was about Sylvan again, I figured we will only find out later in the book. I am curi..."

The different POV's happen concurrently.

message 37: by Ava Catherine (last edited Mar 16, 2016 12:21AM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments I like the ending of the book.

(view spoiler)

message 38: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Mar 16, 2016 01:11AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15077 comments Wow Connie, that was fast!

I just finished chapter 3. Can't read spoilers right now but so far I'm most intrigued by Alphie's story. (view spoiler)

message 39: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48692 comments I agree Connie. (view spoiler)

message 40: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48692 comments Peggy wrote: "Wow Connie, that was fast!

I just finished chapter 3. Can't read spoilers right now but so far I'm most intrigued by Alphie's story. [spoilers removed]"

It's a quick read. For me, I couldn't put it down until I did finish it.

message 41: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15077 comments Finished chapter 5.

(view spoiler)

message 42: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15077 comments Oh, one thing I wondered about: (view spoiler)

message 43: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48692 comments Peggy wrote: "Oh, one thing I wondered about: [spoilers removed]"

The first sentence of the prologue says, "I haven't been able to speak since I was 17 years old..." (view spoiler)

message 44: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15077 comments Clearly I haven't been paying attention.. I guess they're younger than that now but I don't remember reading an age. I've been feeling a bit distracted while reading the last few days, which does not go well with this book I think.

Thanks Janice :)

message 45: by Ava Catherine (last edited Mar 16, 2016 12:42PM) (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments Janice msg #39
(view spoiler)

message 46: by Ava Catherine (new)

Ava Catherine | 4258 comments I cannot believe this is a first book for this author! WOW!

message 47: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15077 comments Argh, typed a whole long post in the app but it disappeared :( I'll try again tomorrow on my laptop, but it IS hard to put down!

message 48: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48692 comments Connie (Ava Catherine) wrote: "Janice msg #39
[spoilers removed]"

Oh boy! I need a reread of this book. It is so chock full of stuff. (view spoiler)

Yes, it's a pretty impressive first novel.

message 49: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48692 comments Peggy wrote: "Argh, typed a whole long post in the app but it disappeared :( I'll try again tomorrow on my laptop, but it IS hard to put down!"

I hate when that happens.

message 50: by Kirila (new)

Kirila | 612 comments I finished chapter 7.

Alphie - (view spoiler)

Sylvan - (view spoiler)

Odile - (view spoiler)

« previous 1