The Challenge Factory discussion

John Dies at the End (John Dies at the End, #1)
This topic is about John Dies at the End
2016 ♦Archives Buddy Read ♦ > Krissy, VampAmber & Maya - John Dies at the End

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new)

Denise (destiny_chan) | 5838 comments Mod
Krissy, VampAmber & Maya - John Dies at the End

Maya (ferafaces) | 464 comments Huzzah! This book is eternally weird and I can't wait to reread it with all of you. :)

message 3: by Penni (new) - added it

Penni | 994 comments This sounds totally bizarre - and totally fascinating.

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3313 comments The more bizarre, the more I like it!

I plan on getting the audiobook. How are you guys reading it? Ebook? Physical book?

VampAmber | 387 comments Picking up my physical copy from the library later today. I seriously need to buy a copy of both soon. One of the few books my husband would actually be willing to stop playing video games for to read (okay, okay, so it's only maybe, but that's better than the usual nope).

Maya (ferafaces) | 464 comments I've got a physical copy of all of his books. Do we maybe want to do This Book is Full of Spiders next month? If we all like this, that is.

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3313 comments Ask me again after we are done reading this one. Lol

Maya (ferafaces) | 464 comments Fair enough!

Does anyone know how we want to split this up? If at all? We can always mark everything with spoilers instead.

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3313 comments Spoilers works for me. I have too many books to read each month so I tend to read as quickly as I can. Breaking up a book takes too much time for me.

VampAmber | 387 comments I can live with that. And I'd be all up for Spiders next month. Heck, maybe in May we could do Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits. That one I haven't read yet (though it's not in the same series, just by the same author).

message 11: by Maya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maya (ferafaces) | 464 comments I'm definitely reading it on my smoke breaks at work, and it's definitely amazing so far. But I'd be down for a re-read as well. :D

VampAmber | 387 comments Sheesh, this has been such a busy month so far, and it's only the 5th. But at least I finally got around to starting.

Prologue:

(view spoiler)

So, I'm thinking maybe a post for each chapter? Or would that be too much?

message 13: by Maya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maya (ferafaces) | 464 comments I'm down for a post each chapter. Or Krissy can set the pace since she's the only one who hasn't read yet. It doesn't matter to me. :)

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3313 comments Starting this now. I probably won't post every chapter but I will at least post every 2 or 3 chapters. I'm just so excited to start this book! I love crazy and weird as shit books

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3313 comments 9%~ I'm already loving this book!

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3313 comments 26%~ Still loving it. This is one weird freaking book.

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3313 comments Finished!

message 18: by Maya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maya (ferafaces) | 464 comments Holy cow! Way to read. Thoughts?

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3313 comments I loved it! I am really looking forward to watching the movie now. I'll probably check it out this weekend.

I was laughing through this entire thing. I loved David Wong's crude humor. It was right up my alley. John's character was the best. He was by far my favorite. There were many detailed scenes of some nasty, gory shit and I was fine with it all. But the scene with the roaches... gag. I can't stand roaches. If I wasn't worried I'd miss something important I would have skipped that scene in the audio! Lol

message 20: by VampAmber (last edited Mar 07, 2016 11:39PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

VampAmber | 387 comments Krissy wrote: "I loved it! I am really looking forward to watching the movie now. I'll probably check it out this weekend. "

Bad news: the movie is utter sh*t stains if you've read the book. They left out about 80% of the middle and completely forgot to explain anything. They even got a boy dog for Molly and gave it a different name. They ruined a lot of the characters, and left a lot of amazing stuff out completely. I regret watching it. But, if you're like me, this just made you want to watch it more. But know that you were warned... I now return you to your regularly scheduled Amber.

Krissy (krissystewart) | 3313 comments Well that's disappointing... :/

VampAmber | 387 comments Krissy wrote: "Well that's disappointing... :/"

You can still watch it. It's neat to see how they made what they did include look (the people they got to play John and Dave are exactly how I pictured them in my mind, and I liked how they did Amy's hand). Just go in knowing that it's a crap movie with a few decent parts (like I said, they got the meat monster spot on perfect). Kinda like anything Seth MacFarlane does, ever.

message 23: by Maya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maya (ferafaces) | 464 comments That's really sad to hear, I kinda enjoyed the movie. Yeah, it cut a lot of stuff out, but I felt like the character representation was there for as low budget as the movie was. It was interesting, at least. :)

VampAmber | 387 comments Mostly it just made my brain hurt because it made no sense without reading the book first, and even having read the book first a lot of it remained not-sense-making. I always hate movies that confuse the audience unless you've read the source material. It seems like cheating almost, yanno?

And speaking of source material, I should probably get back to reading the book already. I stopped at the beginning of the party, and haven't touched it in a few days. Bad Amber...

message 25: by Maya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maya (ferafaces) | 464 comments So, I'm definitely planning on reading This Book is Full of Spiders next month if either of you would like to read along with me. I really enjoyed how different this one was and I'm kind of intrigued how he was able to make a sequel based off of this.

VampAmber | 387 comments Maya wrote: "So, I'm definitely planning on reading This Book is Full of Spiders next month if either of you would like to read along with me. I really enjoyed how different this one was and I'm kind of intrigu..."

I think one of the characters must have said, at one point before the second book starts, "Well at least that was the worst thing that could've happened." Because when you say that, the universe just has to prove you wrong. But at least we get a sequel out of it.

And I follow David Wong on here, and it was mentioned in one of his Ask The Author thingies about this being a trilogy eventually. So, somebody must've made the same mistake after the second book ended. My money's on John.

message 27: by Maya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maya (ferafaces) | 464 comments VampAmber wrote: "Maya wrote: "So, I'm definitely planning on reading This Book is Full of Spiders next month if either of you would like to read along with me. I really enjoyed how different this one was and I'm ki..."

I feel like it's always John. If it isn't, it should be.