Nora Roberts Groupies discussion

The Witness
This topic is about The Witness
Book Discussions > The Witness - March 2016 Book of the Month

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sheery (wwwgoodreadscomprofilesheery) | 675 comments Mod
Daughter of a controlling mother, Elizabeth finally let loose one night, drinking at a nightclub and allowing a strange man's seductive Russian accent lure her to a house on Lake Shore Drive. The events that followed changed her life forever.

Twelve years later, the woman known as Abigail Lowery lives on the outskirts of a small town in the Ozarks. A freelance programmer, she designs sophisticated security systems -- and supplements her own security with a fierce dog and an assortment of firearms. She keeps to herself, saying little, revealing nothing. But Abigail's reserve only intrigues police chief Brooks Gleason. Her logical mind, her secretive nature, and her unromantic viewpoints leave him fascinated but frustrated. He suspects that Abigail needs protection from something -- and that her elaborate defenses hide a story that must be revealed.

With a quirky, unforgettable heroine and a pulse-pounding plotline, Nora Roberts presents a riveting new read that cements her place as today's most reliably entertaining thriller -- and will leave people hungering for more.

Britney | 380 comments I love this book. And I live right in the heart of the ozarks :)

I'm looking forward to re-reading this one.

Britney, it's fun and interesting to read a book set where you live. How do you think Nora did in depicting the Ozarks in The Witness?

Shannan (shanoel) | 6 comments This is one of my favorites. I love that Brooks is so outwardly casual in his courtship of Abigail but that under it all he is kind of sneaky.

I love Brook's family and the setting of the Ozarks. A great choice for the March read!

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 5898 comments Mod
I agree, Shannan. One day I'll get the audio version and listen to this again.

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1252 comments Britney wrote: "I love this book. And I live right in the heart of the ozarks :)"

I also have my roots in the Ozarks. Born there but transplanted to So Cal shortly after birth. My fondest memories are of the lush green hills, valleys and catfish from our family vacations. Wonderful area, warm loving people.

Britney | 380 comments From what I remember I thought she did pretty good! It's been so long since I've read it so it will be fun to go through it with you guys and talk about what I think now :)

Britney | 380 comments *sigh* you make me long for summer and watching the sun go down over the most beautiful fields.....

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 331 comments This was my first Nora Roberts book. I loved it.

Tanvi (trwriteratwork) | 79 comments I've been waiting to start this one, I'm so glad it won the poll. I can't wait to read it!

message 11: by Louise (new)

Louise | 26 comments Cant wait to read this one

Cindy | 31 comments Fantastic book I read this not too long ago. Brooks was so sweet the way he pursued Abigail. I also really loved Bert. Not going to say who he is don't want to spoil anything for those that haven't read the book yet.

Loriidae I am really enjoying the audio, the narration is excellent. I have read this book twice before. I love the portrayal of Elizabeth... haunting.. beautifully written classic NR.

Deidre Nehrenz (dnehrenz) | 4 comments This is one of my favorite books!! Could not put it down when I started to read it. Had to read it as I got (so I got very little sleep that night). This is one of the ones I recommend to anyone that has never read Nora Roberts before.

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 5898 comments Mod
You're so right, Deidre. It's on my top ten list.

Loriidae Jonetta wrote: "You're so right, Deidre. It's on my top ten list."

Oh yes. Mine too.

I'm wondering how far along in the book everyone is. Are you enjoying it? I'm nearing the end of my re-read and loving it as much this time around as last - maybe even more. I adore Brooks' patience and Abigail's slow but steady shift toward trusting him and herself.

Britney | 380 comments I was just fixing to ask the same! And I feel the same as you. Loved re reading , I do think Nora got our home in the ozarks very well , but more so the people :) the things they say and do. How they act, it's very much like home.

Tanvi (trwriteratwork) | 79 comments I haven't started this one yet. I read only one book at a time so it's getting a little hard to manage all the group/buddy reads this month. Hopefully I'll get to it by next week. It's good to see everybody enjoying it. :)

Britney | 380 comments I think I'm learning my lesson on that one book at a time thing :)

Tanvi (trwriteratwork) | 79 comments I tried to juggle 3 books simultaneously once because one was quite boring and taking a lot of time, dragging on, and I couldn't wait to begin the other two...but it didn't work for me. I ended up finishing the last one and the first two are still pending. :p

message 22: by Loriidae (last edited Mar 08, 2016 10:56PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Loriidae I am almost at the end of Part 1. This is a re-read for me. I am listening this time and the audio is fabulous.

That mother!!! It breaks my heart every time I read Elizabeth's section and on audio with the voices so incredibly real.....

Britney | 380 comments Tanvi wrote: "I tried to juggle 3 books simultaneously once because one was quite boring and taking a lot of time, dragging on, and I couldn't wait to begin the other two...but it didn't work for me. I ended up ..."

That is exactly what is. Currently happening to me LOL! I won't be doing that again.

Britney | 380 comments Loriidae wrote: "I am almost at the end of Part 1. This is a re-read for me. I am listening this time and the audio is fabulous.

That mother!!! It breaks my heart every time I read Elizabeth's section and on audio..."

She's horrible!

Elizabeth's mother is horrible! She was definitely hurt and emotionally abused by her.

Robyn Murphy (robynbeth) I bought this book some time ago and never read it for some reason. Picked it up for the spring setting and now I am hooked. I keep picturing Brooks as Josh Lucas, but I think that is more for me than anything. I am having fun with it, and that is why I love Nora Roberts. Her books are fun.

Tanvi (trwriteratwork) | 79 comments Finished reading this one yesterday...loved it! From the very first chapter, I was hooked, big time! The book stayed in my hand all day, all night whether I was eating, travelling, texting - my eyes were glued to the book - and some of those things weren't easy to do without proper attention..so many stains on my clothes..and typos in my texts.. :p
Anyway, I really enjoyed it! I think Nora did a wonderful job on her 200th release...I kinda didn't want the story to end once their plan was executed so well...I also wish there'd been something about her mother, if not a confrontational scene, then at least an insight into her mother's feelings on watching her daughter make her statement etc after all these years...and maybe something about how Brooks and Abigail are living their life a few years later...whatever, I really didn't want the story to end! ^_^