Book Loving Kiwis discussion

Group Reads > Mar/Apr Author Member Group Read

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1570 comments The two books randomly chosen are:

The World Duology (The World Duology #1-2) by Lance Morcan The World Duology by Lance Morcan

and

Above The Limit by Victoria M. Robinson Above The Limit by Victoria M. Robinson

If you intend reading either, or both, of the two books selected this time, please indicate your interest and add your thoughts/discussion here.

Both books have been on our list for some time, so it is possible some of you will already have read one or other, or both. If so, please feel free to add your comments too.

If authors of these books would like to provide some background or information of interest to the reader, or contribute in anyway, please feel free to do so.

message 2: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1570 comments I've just finished reading Above The Limit and have to say I quite enjoyed it.

A series of deaths involving arson keeps the police in Timaru guessing for a while, but it becomes apparent it is the work of a serial killer rather than coincidence.

Good original plot for a serial killer story and told at a good pace. I found that I did not emotionally connect with the characters, although I really disliked the Dentist (as I do in real life :)) and the arsonist. But I didn't seem to care about the effects of all this mayhem on the other 'good' characters. I didn't feel I got to know them, possibly because there was just so much happening, there was little in depth background to the characters.

Overall, a good story and plot that, once begun, kept me reading to the end. Give it a try if you are a mystery/thriller reader who doesn't mind a little of the earthier side of life.

message 3: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1646 comments Hate serial killer books! Sorry! Just me being silly!!!

message 4: by Sharlene (new)

Sharlene (sharlenehuriwai) | 584 comments Mod
Me too PDR! Anything scary and I'm out. Sorry, won't be picking it up. If you need a positive spin, at least you won't get a bad review from me :)

message 5: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1646 comments Ah, nice to know others get squeamish and hear footsteps in the night!

message 6: by Craig (new)

Craig Sisterson (kiwicraig) | 56 comments Ella's Gran wrote: "I've just finished reading Above The Limit and have to say I quite enjoyed it.

A series of deaths involving arson keeps the police in Timaru guessing for a while, but it becomes ap..."

Hey Ella's Gran, would you like to do a review of this book for "Crime Watch", the crime writing website I edit? We like to include reviews of New Zealand crime and thriller writing (up to about 110 local books reviewed now, out of 250-300 total reviews), but this isn't one anyone has reviewed yet.

Cheers.
Craig