Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by JP (new)

JP Reads (jpfantasyreads) | 785 comments Mod
Nightshifted (Edie Spence, #1) by Cassie Alexander

Our May Book of the Month is:

NIGHTSHIFTED by Cassie Alexander

Please read and discuss below.

message 2: by Maria (last edited Apr 30, 2014 10:28AM) (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) I tried reading this a while back and found it just too silly to continue.

SPOILER ALERT:

I had to totally stop when she was so ill and as soon as she got home she went dancing--all fixed after such a huge illness and she picked dancing. She's a nurse...and knows about all kinds of dangers yet that whole scene of her taking that guy home...just felt like it didn't make any sense at all.

I love urban fantasy, but this one wasn't working for me. I hear it got a lot better after those initial bizarre choices, but I set it aside and never finished it.

message 3: by Feral (last edited May 02, 2014 06:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Feral | 3 comments I liked the book. I thought that Edie likes to take care of people, but she starts out undervaluing herself, and her bad choices stem from her dysfunctional family and related emotional issues. She knows better--but don't we all sometime do things we know we should not? Later she does think about how stupid it was.

I liked Edie's humor. She made a lot of funny comments without being nasty. She also never cut other women down or started playing diva. She seems to have a lot of compassion even if she does things we would consider stupid (or self destructive).

Of course, everyone has there own taste, so it's not going to be for everyone.

message 4: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) Feral wrote: "I liked the book. I thought that Eddie likes to take care of people, but she starts out undervaluing herself, and her bad choices stem from her dysfunctional family and related emotional issues. Sh..."

Nice summary. Yeah, I got that she had family issues and it really is hard to stand up to your own family! I think it was just such a downer because she didn't really value herself and I was afraid there was just going to be too many more bad decisions. Plus I didn't really believe that as sick as she was she *could* just go off dancing...

Lauren Maria - I might be with you. Spoiler but an early one: 10% in and she wandered into a terrible part of town to go deal with vampires with zero back up. Seriously authors: Why can't we give our leading ladies ass kicking heroine some female back up instead of setting them up to be damsels in distress? Women are so careful we go to the bathroom together at the club. How dumb is it to go chase down a vampire when you're already afraid you may be turned? I was so excited when she had a practical job as a nurse...

message 6: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) Lauren wrote: "Maria - I might be with you. Spoiler but an early one: 10% in and she wandered into a terrible part of town to go deal with vampires with zero back up. Seriously authors: Why can't we give our lead..."

I loved the job aspect too! And I did make it past that part. Some of that stuff just starts to add up though.

Feral | 3 comments I thought a lot of the nursing aspects were dead on (though my mom was a nurse, I am not some maybe I am a little off). My mom worked the night shift when we were little so she could take us to school, sleep, pick us up and feed us, and go to work. I can relate to the complaints of people who call her in the daytime and the way she takes home nursing supplies.

Lauren Maria I think I'm with you. This is rapidly becoming a DNF.

Nichole I liked it. It was fun fiction.

message 10: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) Lots of good opinions, which is always nice to see!

Lauren Made it to the end. Unfortunately this book was a huge disappointment for me. I feel like if the author had dumped the formulaic UF approach (TSTL "kick ass" female who is in reality pretty weak with no friends, boys out of the wood work and *insert powerful supernatural group* power plays) this could have been a refreshing change, and very character driven. I will sadly be skipping the next book, especially with the (view spoiler)

message 12: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) You're a better woman than me. I DNF it and now that I read your spoiler, I'm even more glad!

Lauren Yup, definitely getting the vibe. (view spoiler)

message 14: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Wolfe | 12 comments I'm surprised by how much people dislike this book (though clearly folks are entitled to like/not like as they see fit). I read this last summer and ripped through the first three books like someone was going to take them away from me. :)

Edie is a hot mess but she's got backbone. I liked the way Edie struggled to make decisions when she's physically weaker than 90% of the sentient creatures around her (I just can't call the Shadows human) and has zero familial or friend support. Most UF main characters have some kind of mojo (magic or fighting skills) to offer at least a minimal defense against the things that go bump. Edie has bupkis and still manages to be strong.

I also liked that sex wasn't treated as a magical solution for all the main character's problems.

Still, I'll concede she makes some terrible decisions.

message 15: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) @Lauren -ha,ha! Funny.

Anna, sometimes it's a mood thing on how much I'll put up with and in this case, some of it just didn't make sense to me and some of it was, yes, bad decisions. They feel too much like forcing the plot to me--rather than outside forces creating the plot, the heroine makes a bad decision and suddenly has to get herself out. That said, bad decisions are pretty realistic in life.

Nichole I agree with you Anna, I whipped through the 1st book and am waiting for the next one to come in the mail.

message 17: by Reggie (last edited May 16, 2014 12:03AM) (new) - added it

Reggie (OriginalPuck) | 19 comments I actually really liked this book. I felt like a lot of the situations Edie ended up in were interesting (Grandfather's epic), and while she made a lot of bad choices, with her family life I can totally empathize with her devaluing herself.

I also liked the wider cast of friends we were given, like the fellow nurses and other sentient creatures.

Where I got annoyed was (view spoiler)

Overall I liked the book, and there were some parts that were excellent and kept me hooked well past when I normally would have stopped reading and gone to bed. But due to some slow spots and the earlier spoiler-cut disappointment, I'm torn between a 3 or 4 star review.

Of course, I'll still read the next one in the series. It's already on my tbr pile. :)

Lauren I'm glad so many like it. I'm always excited when I like the first book in a series and realize there are more to enjoy. It's a good feeling!

message 19: by K. (new) - rated it 2 stars

K. | 95 comments I thought this book was simply okay. I didn't have an issue with her going dancing; my issue is that as a nurse, she would definitely know the consequences of having unprotected sex. I also didn't understand why she didn't ask more questions. How was her brother clean? What were the shadows? I would also have liked more clarification on her connection to Anna and the different types of vampires.

And I understand that family is important, but her brother is an adult. At some point, you have to let them handle their own problems. It is highly unlikely that I will continue with this series.

Kimberlee I nominated this because I enjoyed it. It's not at the top of my list, nor is it one I had to go out and buy every book in the series right away, but I do continue the series when I've got nothing else that sparks my interested.

The nurse putting herself in danger or having unprotected sex didn't put me off . . . there are so many doctors that smoke it's not even funny; so I'm okay with characters that do that kind of thing. Also, I was okay with her putting herself in danger; I read it as if she felt it was more important to save a child, no matter the risk to herself.

I've read the second in the series and it read to me much like the first (I do like consistency), but haven't yet read the third.

message 21: by Reggie (last edited May 20, 2014 07:18PM) (new) - added it

Reggie (OriginalPuck) | 19 comments Kimberlee wrote: "I've read the second in the series and it read to me much like the first (I do like consistency), but haven't yet read the third. "

Good to know! I also like consistency, and I feel a lot better about reading the second one now (I was going to do it anyways, but a good review pushes it further up my tbr pile).