Backstory discussion

Debates > Should smoking be allowed in public places?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maddie (last edited Apr 30, 2014 12:14PM) (new)

Maddie C. | 189 comments Should there be laws to restrict people from smoking in public places?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

(Do you mean public places?)

In my opinion, yes, people should not be allowed to smoke in public places. Just because they're stupid and can die from lung cancer and can get very sick, it doesn't mean that they should make other people sick from secondary smoking.(I think that's what it's called...)

message 3: by Maddie (new)

Maddie C. | 189 comments (yeah)

message 4: by Maddie (new)

Maddie C. | 189 comments (I changed it)

message 5: by Maddie (new)

Maddie C. | 189 comments I agree completely. I don't agree with people smoking at all but when they smoke in public it's even worse

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

(Okay!)

And yup. I personally don't like smoking either, but if people want to smoke, fine. They can do it. They're old enough to make their own decisions. But don't do it in public...-_____-

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with all of you ,my Dad smokes (but my parents are separated and I live mostly with my Mum and he smokes outside) and my grandad di smoke and they were really strict about me not being around when they do or did smoke.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Lizzy wrote: "I think there should be some public places that restrict smoking and others that don't. Like, for example, you shouldn't be able to smoke in a place where people eat at or buy food and such. Other ..."

Why's that? It doesn't matter if someone's eating, and somebody nearby is smoking...and if somebody is at the..park, and somebody nearby is smoking...I see no difference.

message 9: by liz, Don't let too much of yesterday take up too much of today (new)

liz | 889 comments Mod
It should be restricted because yeah its their choice to ruin their lungs but what about the young child near them? they shouldn't be put at that risk...anyone with the other side?

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

liz wrote: "It should be restricted because yeah its their choice to ruin their lungs but what about the young child near them? they shouldn't be put at that risk...anyone with the other side?"

Agreed.

message 11: by liz, Don't let too much of yesterday take up too much of today (new)

liz | 889 comments Mod
i was brought up this way because my step family all smokes so my mom is always bringing this up when they smoke around me.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't think people should be able to smoke in public places. It can ruin the lungs of others around them. I personally am glad that I live in Utah where it's illegal to smoke inside public buildings, but sadly people can smoke outside. I personally don't think people should even be able to smoke at all.

message 13: by liz, Don't let too much of yesterday take up too much of today (new)

liz | 889 comments Mod
amen but its their own choice to ruin their lungs (sorry any current or past smokers)

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, it is their choice, but secondhand smoke can harm others as well. People who don't even smoke or drink alcohol can be harmed by secondhand smoke. We learned about it in health.

Still, it is the person's choice. But smoking should never ever be allowed. But even if it was made illegal, people would still find a way to smoke. When alcohol was made illegal in the Constitution, people just found another, more secret way of getting alcohol. Eventually, alcohol was made legal again.

message 15: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Hott (jacobhottlifesucksthenwedie) | 187 comments I smoke cigs and I am completely respectful with my smoke. I will smoke in public ont he streets but with people aorund me I blow int he other direction if I'm in a crowd the only time I smoke is in NYC, but hey no one really gives a care then.

As for smoking in buildings in public I think it should be the establishments choice. Local bars around here have sections within the room where one can smoke. It's like being outside, just in doors with a window open.

I feel that as far as public smoking goes it's someones life style if people have a problem with it then don't be near those people who do it. I smoke and people who look at me and ssay I'm killing the people aorund me I simply say then don't be aorund me and I won't have to ahve the pleasure to watch you die.