Endicott Mythic Fiction discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Like Water for Chocolate > Like Water For Chocolate: Who's Reading? / Discussion

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Odette (last edited Feb 29, 2016 07:58PM) (new)

Odette | 316 comments Mod
The March 2016 book is Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel.

Anyone reading/rereading?

message 2: by Odette (new)

I read this one years ago, right after the movie came out. I remember liking it a lot - and wishing I was a good enough cook to try out the recipes.

I sometimes get this story confused in my mind with scenes from the Spanish Garcia Lorca play, The House of Bernarda Alba, because both have rather awful, domineering mothers who thwart the happiness of their daughters. (Bernada Alba is a lot grimmer, though.)

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 11 comments I might. 0:)

It will be a re-read.

message 4: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 132 comments I read it years ago and Loved it! The movie is one of my all time favourites and I've watched it multiple times. It's one of the very few filmings of a novel where I actually think they did a great job and made it just as good as the book. Maybe it helps that the director was the authors husband!

message 5: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 29 comments I loved this book and movie! I was so frustrated with the mother and wanted to scream at her - mothers should WANT their daughters to be happy.

message 6: by Odette (new)

Jalilah wrote: "I read it years ago and Loved it! The movie is one of my all time favourites and I've watched it multiple times. It's one of the very few filmings of a novel where I actually think they did a great..."

I didn't know that he was her husband. How interesting! I'd love to see the film again, too.

message 7: by Odette (new)

Terri wrote: "I loved this book and movie! I was so frustrated with the mother and wanted to scream at her - mothers should WANT their daughters to be happy."

Couldn't agree more.
I saw Bernarda Alba years ago as a play in which the performers were giant puppets (by giant, I mean 12 ft). I'm reminded of the image of that cruel, towering puppet-mother whenever I encounter a toxic maternal character in a book or movie.

message 8: by Katy (new)

Katy (kathy_h) I read this one several years ago. The language is beautiful, but it wasn't a favorite. But it's been so long ago that I really don't remember why.

message 9: by Anatha (new)

Anatha (anatha_bananatha) | 34 comments Odette wrote: "Terri wrote: "I loved this book and movie! I was so frustrated with the mother and wanted to scream at her - mothers should WANT their daughters to be happy."

Couldn't agree more.
I saw Bernarda A..."

I am really jealous that you got the opportunity to see something like that! Lorca and dark story elements and giant puppets, oh my goodness. I don't even know how to keep an eye out for something like that, haha

But! More on topic: I'm going to read this, too! It's been on my list forever and I've never seen the movie, so!

message 10: by Odette (last edited Mar 16, 2016 09:11PM) (new)

I looked around youtube in case there was any footage of the performance to show you, but this was so long ago it was before there were cameras on phones, and I can't remember the name of the company that created the performance.

Here's a puppetry resource that may help find some interesting performances near you.
Puppetry Yellow Pages

Here's a different company that has put on Garcia Lorca plays:
30 years of Etcetera: the legacy of the puppets of Lanz, Lorca and Falla

Hope you enjoy the Like Water for Chocolate book and movie.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.