Book Of the Month Discussion > Castle Hangnail --March 2016 --spoilers allowed

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 2112 comments Mod
Free discussion of any element.

message 2: by Mary (new)

I will observe that being an artist does give one great advantage: you can do your own covers and make them accurate.

Down to why the dragon has long ears.

message 3: by Mary (new)

I like the voice. Such little tidbits as Pins and voodoo, or the mention of when Pins and the goldfish crossed the desert.

Also, The Lord of the Rings allusion to dragons.

And, of course, the four appearance of dragons.

message 4: by Miss (new)

Miss | 4 comments It was absolutely charming! I liked the way that it had adults present, and able to help solve problems when enlisted and assisted - that if you're kind, caring, stubborn, and own up to your mistakes, you and those around you can pitch in together to help solve problems.

And I kinda want to hear the story of Pins and his goldfish... although, did it ever strike you as strange that she has no name?

message 5: by Mary (new)

Molly didn't have a last name? I think it just didn't come up.

message 6: by Miss (new)

Miss | 4 comments Sorry, not Molly - her last name came up when she was sent the postcard. No, the goldfish. Everybody else had a name, but Pin's hypochondriac goldfish was always "the goldfish."

message 7: by Mary (new)

Not even a first name, let alone a last. But then, -- the goldfish was unique.

message 8: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl Tribble | 67 comments I also thought the goldfish needed a name at first, but in the long run I didn't think the goldfish suffered for it. You get the impression -- particularly from the goldfish "aren't much of anything by nature" passage -- that this goldfish is in some way both a valid representation of the tribe, and an enormous exception. Kind of felt like it was fine with the name "the goldfish" because it was a goldfish, and also because it knew no one else responded to that name.

Plus Majordomo hadn't had a name through however many Masters. In one sense, names don't seem as crucial in this fantasy world as in some of them. In another sense, of course, Molly naming Majordomo (and the fact that he accepted that name and told people about it) was a big ol' hint early on that he accepted her even when he wouldn't admit it.

message 9: by Mary (new)

Both of them were so identified by their role that everyone knew who was meant whenever either one was referred to.

message 10: by Sheryl (new)

Sheryl Tribble | 67 comments True, we're never in doubt who is being referred to, but I thought the treatment of both the goldfish (with no personal name) and Majordomo (known by two names, which both describe his job) an interesting contrast to how naming works in, say, Madeline L'Engle's The Wind in the Door or the Pini's Elfquest, or the cultures they're bouncing off of, where names shape relationship or destiny.

message 11: by Mary (new)

I was thinking that in the story -- all the characters knew them by their role.