Play Book Tag discussion

February 2016: World War II > The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments It is the early 1940s. Nine year-old Bruno arrives home one day only to find out that his family will be moving away from Berlin due to his father's job promotion. When he arrives at his new house he sees a tall fence and people in striped pajamas. Bruno is naive withl only a childlike understanding of the events around him. When he meets another young boy from the other side of the fence, he strikes up a friendship that will have devastating consequences for everyone involved.

I thought that the book was really well done. Boyne captures the world as seen through the eyes of a young child in a genuine way. The book was emotional, well-written, and interesting. The ending kind of blew me away and will leave a lasting impression on me.

message 2: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 722 comments I was totally heartbroken, Jen!

And I don't think I'm brave enough to watch the movie... I still haven't and I read this a few years ago. Definitely a book which leaves a lasting impression!

message 3: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8639 comments What did you rate it, Jen?

message 4: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8639 comments And this also left an impression on me. I often (quickly!) forget what happens in a book, including the end, but this one stays with me...

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments LibraryCin wrote: "What did you rate it, Jen?"

oops sorry. 4 stars.

message 6: by Sara (new)

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments I have been meaning to read this one for a while. Great review.