flight paths discussion

What are you reading? > march madness

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2334 comments It may still be cold, but the sun peeking through the clouds brings back the brightness,a few more minutes each day. flowers are showing up and even inside, reading the rainy days away, it seems cozier.
I have just returned from an intense voyage up the Labrador coast with Audubon and Katherine Govier
This month I will be focusing on Canadian books for the CBC Bingo challenge. I am really looking forward to Thomas King Back Of The Turtle, The

message 2: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1244 comments I don't know any of these books: I guess I will become more educated over this next month!

Just finished We Need New Names which I loved. About a child in Zimbabwe who is sent to live in the US with her aunt. Such brilliant writing.

I'm also finally reading A Little Life which got so much buzz. I'm only about 15% in and I'm liking it. Too soon to say "love" but it's certainly holding my attentionl

message 3: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 756 comments Madness is still taking work calls at 9pm at night ........ using up good reading time.

message 4: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2334 comments @ice
that's why we have short stories! Mieville s 3 moments of an explosion might be appropriate :-)

message 5: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 756 comments Currently in weightlifting training with 740, 970 & 1125 page tomes ! I find 3 books concurrent is as much as I can absorb.

message 6: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2334 comments yikes! that's heavy!

I like to have a slimmer kind of book for moving around, lineups, the bus and waiting. I hate it when I'm interrupted when I'm totally engaged so its not just the weight that convinces me to have something short that I am not so lost in that it can be easily put down and picked up and, in the case of poetry, benefits greatly with each reading.

message 7: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1244 comments Ice wrote: "Currently in weightlifting training with 740, 970 & 1125 page tomes ! I find 3 books concurrent is as much as I can absorb."

That's a huge commitment! I usually am reading about 3 books but not usually such big ones!

I like to have a volume of poetry along with other books I'm reading. I have a new one I am about to start. Do you ever have a feeling of excitement and almost dread before beginning a new book? It's like going out on a date with a new person. Will this be the one? Will it be awful?

I know-I'm a little crazy.

message 8: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2334 comments dear Ellie...yes, you are my kind of strange!
I know just the feeling, now that you've pinned it down! whether its a blind date or one you've picked yourself from the stacks.
so who have you discovered?

message 9: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1244 comments I have a friend who's a poet and she's really wonderful, Mary Lou Buschi so I only discovered her because I met her. Does that count? It was a big risk reading her!

An odd writer I really love is Enrique Vila-Matas. He writes very off-center fascinating books-semi-fiction/semi-autobiographical.

message 10: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2334 comments Ellie, how's a little life coming along?
im going to find those last two you mentioned.
I just adore Heather O'Neill.

message 11: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1244 comments Have to look at O'Neill.

I'm reading a book that I just love, At The Existentialist Café: Freedom, Being, and apricot cocktails with: Jean-Paul Sartre, Simone de Beauvoir, Albert Camus, Martin Heidegger, Edmund Husserl, Karl Jaspers, Maurice Merleau-Ponty and others. Sarah Blakewell also wrote How to Live: A Life of Montaigne in One Question and Twenty Attempts at An Answer which I also loved. She has a way of taking these difficult writers and making them friendly to an amateur reader like myself. Fascinating book.

message 12: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2334 comments was just thinking of you
thanks for listing that long title :-) so it was easy to just put it on the mountain
( after all of my promises)
looks delightful
what about a little life?
I just was sideswiped by a book I picked up from the library because the author is reading at the arts centre here, tonight as it happens. I was feeling emotionally drained from all the wars I've been immersed in, never dreamed that is the subject of this book by local author Kathryn Para.
I didn't think I had any tears left. I was quite wrong.
But the book I want to recommend to you Ellie is one I came upon by serendipity and its a masterpiece as far as I am concerned. Its sad, yes, but there is a tenderness and playfulness and spiritual insight and marvelous writing. sorry I can't highlight link from the phone, but you should be able to find it,
a poet of the invisible world.
Hope the signs of spring surround you already!

message 13: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1244 comments What's the name of the book?

(It's been beautifully warm but the forecast says snow tomorrow-to celebrate the beginning of spring, no doubt)

message 14: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2334 comments lucky by Kathryn para
a poet of the invisible world by Michael goldong

message 15: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2334 comments sorry that last message was abrubt, and wrong but I was taking advantage of the WiFi at the arts centre when I heard clapping and had to go in. its Michael Golding the author of poet of the invisible world, a real gem.
as for Kathy Para, she was very interesting in what she had to say about the writing and publishing process. she also was nice enough to drive me home! I'll have to do her justice with my review.

message 16: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1244 comments I love poetry readings.

Thanks for the tips.

message 17: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1244 comments Just looked up Golding and saw it's a novel not poetry. Oops.

Well, I enjoy readings of all kinds. :)

message 18: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2334 comments actually both these are novels, did I imply otherwise? sorry to confuse

message 19: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1244 comments My bad, entirely. I was confused by the name.

message 20: by David (new)

David | 17 comments Has anyone had good experiences with Gravity's Rainbow? I'm thinking of giving it a go.

message 21: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2334 comments gravity's rainbow!
I am not sure why it took me so long to fully appreciate i was young and a bit overwhelmed, without a clue really, but once I got into it pure genius fun. highly recommended

message 22: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 756 comments The 'Mad Russian' brothers Karamazov are done but what possessed me to order 'The Possessed/Demons' from the library !
Also ordered a Wallander book to keep me sane. And for night time still at the Edge of Eternity. Busy Easter arriving starting with potatoe planting and easter egg hunting with the grandsons.

message 23: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2334 comments the idiot is actually my favorite but the possessed is also extraordinary, I trust your library order indicates you liked the brothers k