The Sundered Book Club discussion

Ashes of the Tyrant > Ashes of the Tyrant - The Grand Finale

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chad (new)

Chad Peek (mordrim) | 255 comments Mod
Here it is!! The final section of the novel. The answers to all of our questions. The epic ending to the latest Brimstone Angels adventure. The moment when we realize that we will have to wait 6 or 7 months to read the next novel. :(

Looking forward to your reactions to the finale and your thoughts on the book as a whole?

message 2: by Chad (new)

Chad Peek (mordrim) | 255 comments Mod
The characters in the Brimstone Angels series continue to be my favorite. I love the fact that they are not perfect, that they let emotions cloud their judgement, and sometimes vice versa. They feel real to me and I have a very easy time connecting with them.

I am preparing to run the Out of the Abyss campaign for my Dungeons and Dragons group and there were a few things in this novel that will be very helpful when I do. I loved the madness and horror that surrounds Grazz't. Reading the passages where he is in people's heads really helped me understand how powerful and dangerous these beings are, and this should help me come up with ways to impart that to the players in my group. I also may borrow from the storyline with the maurezhi and have one of those stalk the PC's while they are in the Underdark. Hopefully that will give it a feel similar to an Alien movie.

But back to the book....

Erin has left us with some pretty good cliff hangers to wonder about for a few months.

Is Sessaca now a goddess to the Kua-Toa?

Is Dumuzi going to climb the ranks of the Djerad Thymar?

Will Alyona and Havilar be able to combine their wills against Bryseis?

Who is Gilgeam and why does he think that he has brought his army home?

I thoroughly enjoyed Ashes of the Tyrant and am looking forward to reading The Devil You Know. Come on October....and no pushing it out Erin ;)

message 3: by John (new)

John Hayes (jhayes27) | 159 comments Can not wait till the next book. So many cliffhangers.....WHY MUST WE WAIT

message 4: by Justin (new)

Justin (berliad) | 106 comments Ok, I read the last 7 chapters or so on a plane, and I have no idea which chapter was which. So, a few things from the last few sections:

Olla had one of the best lines in the book, I thought..
Havilar: "We don't leave allies lying in a heap!"
Olla: "Technically, that is very much a done thing."

hahaha...I almost felt bad when she got vaporized by Bryseis Kakistos a little while later, but then decided to chuckle instead. I love Erin's imps, and look forward to seeing who will pair up with Mot...although maybe that's all over now that the Chosen part of Havilar's soul has probably been removed? :(

I guess I was surprised how easily twins agreed to Bryseis's demands. I got why Farideh opted not to attack when she had her chance, but it seemed like they consented to a pretty awful plan pretty quickly. It'll be interesting to see where this leads.

I'm also fascinated by the return of at least one part of Returned Abeir, blue fire and all! That's not a direction I anticipated Erin's story going, much less Wizards revisiting anything that happened during 4E again. So much for the Sundering being the "world-changing event to end world-changing events!" I don't have the kind of hatred for all things spellplague that a lot of folks do, so I'm keen to see where this goes.

I don't know anything about Unther, or Unthalas, save that it was destroyed in the spellplague. There are some recent updates on Unther at FRWiki that seem rather spoiler-ific for future novels by Erin, so I'm not going to link it, but it's apparently reflecting info that is in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, which I don't have yet (Djerad Thymar/Unther seems mighty far from the Sword Coast, no?). This doesn't look like it will be a flash in the pan, though.

Finally, heck yes, Sessaca is totally worth worshiping you fish people! :)