The Sackett Brand (The Sacketts #10) The Sackett Brand discussion

Reading Louis L'Amour for 2016 - February

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aaron (last edited Feb 29, 2016 04:52PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Aaron Toponce This is February's update to my January post about reading all of Louis L'Amour during 2016.

My grandfather gave me all of his Louis L'Amour collection last year, and I wanted to get through all of them. However, I needed something a bit more granular than Goodreads to keep track of my reading progress with that collection. So, I created a Google spreadsheet with a listing of all the books, their page count, and what my average daily reading page count needs to be, if I'm going to keep my goal. Currently, I'm working through the Chantry series, then I'll get to the short stories and the stand alone novels.

Even though my grandfather didn't have Jubal Sackett in his collection, I was able to check that out from the local library, and read it. It's supposed to be the fourth book in chronological order, but I didn't think about checking it out, until I was much further in the series.

Also, according to http://www.louislamour.com/sackett/index.htm, Borden Chantry is listed first before Fair Blows the Wind. However, I think this is a mistake. Fair Blows the Wind comes 300 years before Borden Chantry, so in my opinion, it should be read first. Further, there are five books about the Chantry characters and three about the Talon characters. I don't know if they overlap, but I feel that they should be two different series.

At any event, I worked through the following 10 books for February:

The Sky-Liners by Louis L'Amour The Lonely Men by Louis L'Amour Mustang Man by Louis L'Amour Galloway by Louis L'Amour Jubal Sackett by Louis L'Amour Treasure Mountain by Louis L'Amour Ride the Dark Trail by Louis L'Amour Lonely on the Mountain by Louis L'Amour Borden Chantry by Louis L'Amour Fair Blows the Wind by Louis L'Amour

Lowell Ross read all of the sackett books, great series, can't be put down best to start with 1st one

Oleta Blaylock I think that the Chantry and Talon series are listed because they are interrelated to the Sacketts. It is my understanding that L'Amour had planned to write extensive histories for all three families. Unfortunately he died before he could do that. The list on the website was done my his son and as such there maybe some errors in the order. As I understand what I have read over the years there were piles and piles of manuscripts and notes and ideas that his son has been working on since his death. The following link seems to be a pretty fair reading order. There are some errors but with both it is a good start: http://herbthiel.com/original/louisch...