The Bowie Book Club discussion

In Cold Blood
This topic is about In Cold Blood
March 2016 - In Cold Blood > The Influence of In Cold Blood...

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lidiana | 440 comments Mod
Aside from being one of Bowie's favorite books, where else do you see the influence of In Cold Blood? Please, feel free to share any material that may be interesting to those who liked the book and want to read, watch a movie, etc, with a similar premise.

Mariana Lessa (ainelessa) In Cold Blood is the background setting for the movie Capote (2005) with an amazing performance by late Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Although the movie is actually about the writing of this book, and not necessarily about the crimes, we see the relationship and bond Capote formed with one of the killers, the most sensitive one. It's an amazing movie, but just like the book for me, equally shocking.

message 3: by Kathi (new)

Kathi I have no proof, but I always thought that "Helter Skelter" was influenced by "In Cold Blood." It has a similar level of detail and background, and of course it's also about a senseless, seemingly random murder.

"Columbine" is another one. The author spent a decade researching the subject and the detail is exhaustive. Part of the book's mission is to explain why Columbine occurred, and in that it differs from "In Cold Blood," but the way the author went about his research seems similar--just total immersion.

Kathi wrote: ""Columbine" is another one. The author spent a decade researching the subject and the detail is exhaustive. Part of the book's mission is to explain why Columbine occurred, and in that it differs from "In Cold Blood," but the way the author went about his research seems similar--just total immersion."

Kathi, whatta recollection!!! I read Columbine last year and I think you are spot on. The immersion of Dave Cullen is very similar to the one Capote had, and even though they have very different writing styles, both are great examples of how good journalism needs dedication and an almost obsessive passion.

There were times when I was reading Columbine, that Cullen depicted the murderers from such human perspective (something that journalism tends not to do when we are talking about criminals) that it reminds me a lot of Capote and his connection to Hickock and Smith. Of course Cullen wasn't able to interview Eric and Dylan, but I believe both authors were able to show that behind the facade of criminals there is way more to the story...

message 5: by Kathi (new)

Kathi Lidiana, I completely agree. "Columbine" made me rethink so many stereotypes we have about mass shooters, "troubled teens," and criminals in general. Not an uplifting book, but a necessary one.

After finishing In Cold Blood, and with Kathi's remembrance of Columbine, I kept asking myself what other journalists nowadays made a name for themselves as writers of a style influenced by what was defined as New Journalism...

The best example that came to my mind was Jon Krakauer. What do you think?