The Bowie Book Club discussion

March 2016 - In Cold Blood > General comments about the book…

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lidiana (new)

Lidiana | 440 comments Mod
If you have any comments to make about the book that do not mention specifics of the book, use this thread. PLEASE, KEEP IN MIND: do not give any spoilers! The discussion about particular segments of the story was divided, so the members of the group can make comments as they move further on the reading, without the risk of encountering spoilers in the middle of the conversations.

message 2: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Chumley Garland | 8 comments I gave this book 5 stars, which is rare. Hell, I rarely give books 4 stars. I expected it be boring and it was just the opposite. Well done, Mr. Capote.

The Reading Bibliophile | 564 comments Mod
Well, I have a very important comment to make: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LIDIANA!!!! 30, wow, and your whole life ahead of you. Wishing you a happy decade of reading, reading and reading :-)

message 4: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) | 183 comments Cynthia wrote: "Well, I have a very important comment to make: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LIDIANA!!!! 30, wow, and your whole life ahead of you. Wishing you a happy decade of reading, reading and reading :-)"

Happy birthday! :)

message 5: by Lidiana (new)

Samanta wrote: "Cynthia wrote: "Well, I have a very important comment to make: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LIDIANA!!!! 30, wow, and your whole life ahead of you. Wishing you a happy decade of reading, reading and reading :-)"..."

Cynthia wrote: "Well, I have a very important comment to make: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LIDIANA!!!! 30, wow, and your whole life ahead of you. Wishing you a happy decade of reading, reading and reading :-)"

Thank you so much, girls... You are all very sweet...

message 6: by Lidiana (new)

I would like to suggest that we use this thread to talk about our expectations for the book. Wendy gave us an insight of how much this book meant to her, and I think everyone could say a few words regarding what they are expecting from reading In Cold Blood, independently if it is the first time they are reading or not. How about it?

message 7: by Samanta (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) | 183 comments Honestly, I'm not sure what to expect because I've never read anything of Capote and don't usually read true crime (can it be classified as such, since it's based on true story?)

message 8: by Lidiana (new)

Samanta, I was taught that it is classified as literary journalism. I can't see a more fitting classification!

message 9: by Lidiana (new)

Samanta, I was taught that it is classified as literary journalism. I can't see a more fitting classification!

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 30 comments Yes, Tom Wolfe called it the New Journalism - Capote, Hunter S Thompson and others.

I didn't have any expectations. I was not enthralled at the idea of reading it because of the story but I had hoped to fall from my chair at the brilliance that it promised.
Now that I read about New Journalism and literary journalism, being in total despair about what journalism has become in my country, I eagerly look forward to reading it!

message 12: by Lidiana (new)

Well, In Cold Blood is a reread for me. I read it for the first time when I was in college, studying journalism and right away I fell in love with this journalistic style. It was my dream to be able to make journalism like Capote and Talese (forever my favorite). Of course, reality came to show me that real journalism was further and further away from New Journalism, unfortunately.

Now that I will tackle the book for the second time, I hope it doesn't let me down because it is in my favorites list.

message 13: by Kathi (new)

Kathi I first read this in college (I had something of a Capote obsession) and have reread it several times over the years. Others are right--it is a fantastic book, but it will bring you down a little when you compare the journalistic standards of then and now. (I'm a former journalist myself, so am cranky and biased.) Whenever I read Capote's nonfiction, I always remember reading that his interview technique was to tell the subject so much about himself that the subject finally started talking, too. It really did work.

I would also suggest that readers watch the movie "Capote" *after* they've finished "In Cold Blood" (it's one long spoiler otherwise). It gives quite a bit of backstory as to how Capote wrote this book and the help he received.

Kathi wrote: "I first read this in college (I had something of a Capote obsession) and have reread it several times over the years. Others are right--it is a fantastic book, but it will bring you down a little w..."
Thanks Kathi :-) Capote is on my TBW movies with the great - and sorely missed - Philip Seymour Hoffman.
It seems that many of us on this group have a journalistic background :-)

message 15: by Kathi (new)

Kathi Hi Cynthia! As you might imagine, Hoffman is amazing in the film. Interesting that the group has many journalists!

message 16: by Pedro (new)

Pedro Henrique | 36 comments Well.. finally finished the book.. after much struggle and a sick day at home, wich gave me time to go through it in almost one shot.
Indeed as I was told before, it gets a little better after the first part, however, despite getting used to the writing style I never got fully connected with the book.

message 17: by Lidiana (new)

Pedro wrote: "Well.. finally finished the book.. after much struggle and a sick day at home, wich gave me time to go through it in almost one shot.
Indeed as I was told before, it gets a little better after the ..."

I suppose In Cold Blood is a book that you need to be in the mood to appreciate it. I was way more in its vibe when I read for the first time than I am now. I remember how spellbound I was by the entire magic that surrounded those "new journalists " and how much of a promise of better journalism I saw in their writing. I guess I grew cynic, unfortunately and now I ask myself more what went wrong than anything else.

I haven't started it yet. Sigh.

message 19: by Samanta (last edited Mar 29, 2016 02:40PM) (new)

Samanta   (almacubana) | 183 comments Done with the book. Still under the impression of all that I've read. I wrote a review which you can see here, if you are interested:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...