Melanie Dickerson Fan Club discussion

Fun Chat! > Crazy Babysitting Stories

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Celestial (new)

Celestial This is where we all can share our crazy experiences while babysitting. I am sure we each have one strange experience to tell. I hope you enjoy this thread!

message 2: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Totally great idea!

message 3: by Celestial (new)

Celestial To start this thread off I will share an experience of mine.
A few weeks ago I had to babysit some kids that I regularly babysit. However generally I only babysit the younger two, while the older two are at school. This time I was babysitting all three of them. All of these kids are VERY mischievous.

To begin the wonderful babysitting experience I tumbled and fell while getting up from a back bend. This accident resulted in a scraped up hand, which wouldn't have been to bad if I didn't have to scrub the dirt and gravel out of my cuts. So while I was washing my injured hand the kids we're running wild while being bossed around by their oldest sister.

At dinner time we had cereal and pizza outside. That was really nice. Then one of the girls decided to get more cereal while she was on her roller skates. This resulted in her falling down her two porch steps, and spilling cereal EVERYWHERE (including me). To clean this up I sprayed down the sidewalk, and sent her into a bath.

When her younger sister found out she was having a bath she decided to join in. So when the first two were done the oldest sister and the youngest (the only boy) also had a bath.

To add to the craziness while I was babysitting we smelled smoke, and found a used match on the floor. I am pretty sure the little boy did it, because he was smiling sheepishly, and all of the girls seemed genuinely confused.

All in all it was one of the most entertaining fun nights of my life.

I love babysitting!!!! ;D

message 4: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Oh my stars!!!! That sounds crazy!!! And I thought my two babysittees (If that is what you call them) were wild!!

message 5: by Celestial (last edited Mar 02, 2016 10:30AM) (new)

Celestial Haha. Yeah they are crazy, but I love babysitting them. I would rather babysit crazy kids than mellow kids.
Once the girl in the middle (the one who spilled the cereal) climbed up onto her grandpa's roof. So her mom (who was pregnant at the time) had to coax her off the roof.

message 6: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Oh totally!!! Wow!!! Those kids definitely sound fun!! They almost sound like my older siblings when they were younger.

Princess Emilia (emilyjanebookworm) | 1655 comments Whoaa I would not be able to deal with that! Hahaha all the kids I've babysat were pretty mellow. Except once my cousin and I babysat 5 kids, 4 were siblings and the other was their cousin, and one little boy was pretty wild.

One time, my cousin and I babysat one little boy and we both went just to keep each other company. But it was such a simple job because when we got there it was around 8 or 9 and the little boy was already in bed, so we just had to be there. The craziest thing about that day is that they had a cat that was in heat hahahaha it was weird

message 8: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) lol wow!!

Yeah, I usually baby sit the two girls but sometimes I have to do their older brother as well. I think the craziest time was when I had to make dinner for all of them and I had never used their oven before. Trust me, it was confusing. Especially when i was trying to find the ingredients and take care of the kids. Yeah, seems kind of boring compared to some stores but it can be hard and crazy.

I also had this crazy thing happen to me once. I was babysitting the youngest girl while the rest of them went sledding. And...everything went fine...ladydadada. Then when the older girl came home, she did not want me to go. Every time I headed for the door, she grabbed my hand and tugged me back to the couch. It was so cute!!!

message 9: by Celestial (new)

Celestial I used to babysit for this family on a regular basis (until I let my little sister take over). I could do school at their house because the kids would be napping while I was there. They also had a HUMONGOUS cat. He is really abnormally large.

message 10: by Celestial (new)

Celestial That sounds adorable Haley. I just started babysitting the crazy kids.

message 11: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) lol I would be freaked out. I am so glad that the family I babysit for has no animals. I do not like dealing with them unless I am really used to them and they don't jump all over you!

message 12: by Princess Emilia (new)

Princess Emilia (emilyjanebookworm) | 1655 comments Awhh that's adorable! When we babysat the 5, the oldest girl was about 8 or 9 and she told her parents that she liked me a lot. I think she liked me because we had a mutual love of reading and Disney princesses :))

message 13: by Celestial (new)

Celestial Ahhhh!!!! That's adorable. :)

message 14: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) That is SOO cute!!

message 15: by Celestial (new)

Celestial I used to volunteer at AWANA (a bible study) and I got all of the kids to memorize their verses. They all liked me, so my team was a lot better behaved than the other teams.

message 16: by Princess Emilia (new)

Princess Emilia (emilyjanebookworm) | 1655 comments I've always been better around slightly older kids. Hahahah I don't know why but I feel like much younger kids, like 1-3yrs usually take a little bit to warm up to me. I have 7 cousins that are all sisters, and they didn't really like me when they were babies, but now they all love me haha

message 17: by Celestial (new)

Celestial I had to take a year off, but I plan to volunteer again next year.

message 18: by Celestial (new)

Celestial That's also cute.

message 19: by Celestial (new)

Celestial I have to young cousins that also didn't like me when they were babies. Now whenever they come over they always want to play with me because I let them be crazy. :)

message 20: by Princess Emilia (new)

Princess Emilia (emilyjanebookworm) | 1655 comments Hahaha Awhh that's cute. When I was like 10 my parents went to church choir practice every Friday and I would go with them and watch over some of the kids there in the nursery and one little boy started calling me "mamma" hahahah and now it's sooooo weird seeing him so much older

message 21: by Princess Emilia (new)

Princess Emilia (emilyjanebookworm) | 1655 comments And he probably has nooo idea who I am now because I don't go to the same church anymore

message 22: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Wow!!! How the kids grow on you!!

message 23: by Zoë (new)

Zoë (zoeblife) | 1378 comments the twins I babysit are HUGE contemplators. One time I asked them if they wanted to listen to Adventures in Odyssey or read a book and they sat there, index fingers to their chins, eyes pointed to the ceiling and rolling from side to side and humming "HHHmmmmm" for a full minute.
They do that a lot. It's actually really funny. You have to be very patient to babysit these kids because playing games they take several minutes to make a move.

message 24: by Celestial (new)

Celestial LOL

message 25: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) lol that is totally hilarious!!

message 26: by Celestial (new)

Celestial I'm glad people have actually been commenting on this thread. I've never started one before. :D

message 27: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) ;) lol Well, great job for your first one!! So you aren't a mod in any groups??

message 28: by Celestial (new)

Celestial No, but I'd like to be. I am in a bunch of groups though. I like trying to be active in a few groups. It was fun to make a thread, and have people comment on it. :D

I will probably have more babysitting stories to tell after spring break, when I start my babysitting job again.
Meanwhile, has anyone else gotten scared while babysitting kids at night? (To me this generally happens after the kids are in bed.)

message 29: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Well, maybe you will become a mod soon! ;)

Oh yay! Can't wait to hear your stories!
Luckily, the family I babysit for has a tv so I can always watch and focus on something and not worry about freaking out. ;) BUT! I would have been freaking out for the next year IF I read the book The Hangman's Curse. I read the first two chapters and was like, "Nope, definitely not."

message 30: by Celestial (new)

Celestial I would like becoming a mod. I think it would be fun!

I sometimes read while babysitting. I like to read mysteries, but I always have to remember to NOT bring those books babysitting, or else I will get scared. I used to get more frightened when I started babysitting kids at the age of twelve.

message 31: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Oh my, I would have every light on. lol You started babysitting at twelve? Wow!! That had to have been so crazy!!! I though 14, right now, was scary enough. lol

message 32: by Celestial (new)

Celestial I was only babysitting at night after the kid/kids was asleep.
My parents are leaders of a church small group, so they have me and my sisters babysit the people's children.

message 33: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Got it! ;)

message 34: by Celestial (new)

Celestial On Monday I had the CRAZIEST time with the kids I babysit! However I still love babysitting crazy kids. :D

We decided to go to the park since it is just down the street form them, and the kids were great. Once I told them we had to leave however they were being so stubborn. :) They refused to put on their shoes (they had taken them off to climb the slide). I spent about 15 to 20 minutes convincing them to put on their shoes.

Finally I convinced them by saying that they could run around a baseball field (at the park). Then it took me about 45 minutes to stop them playing tag in the field. This was partially due to their stubbornness and laziness on my part (mostly because I dreaded convincing them again).

On the way out of the park the kids found a tree with long leaves that they could go underneath. Once again one of the kids took off their shoes. I eventually gave in and bribed them with candy gum so that we could finally go home.

One of the kids refused to put on their shoes so they walked home barefoot. On the way home they poked a toe and got a little upset. However since they were the ones who refused to put on their shoes I just said that she would have to keep walking home in order to get a band-aid (it was a REALLY short way). I hope that isn't a bad thing. :/

message 35: by Celestial (new)

Celestial Oh I forgot! When we got home the girl noticed that the oven was on. It was really weird because I didn't use it. While their mom was driving me home I asked her if she used the oven and she said she hadn't. Then I asked the girl if she turned the oven on and she started to smile sheepishly.

It turned out she had turned on the oven! I felt so bad that I didn't notice that. I have no idea when she did it!

message 36: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Holy wow!! That is crazy!!!!
Kudos to you for babysitting them! *high fives*

message 37: by Celestial (new)

Celestial Thank you so much. *high five back*
You can't imagine how tired I was when I got home. They keep me on my toes. :)
Somehow I still find it fun to babysit them. :)

message 38: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) Yeah, i totally get you! My two girls who I babysit are toddlers so they are ALL over the place!! Making dinner and trying to keep track of them can get soo crazy. When i get home all I want to do (which I also usually do) is sit on the couch and watch a movie. So relaxing!

message 39: by Celestial (new)

Celestial That is what I do when I babysit. If it as night once I put the kids to bed I am relaxing on the couch. :D
My mom and dad always tell me to never let a kid out of my sight, but sometimes it is impossible. One kid wants to go this way, and the other wants to go that way. :D

message 40: by Haley (new)

Haley S (haleyjs) lol i know!