Grab a Book & Play Booktivity! discussion

Fun With Challenges > March 2016 Birthstone Challenge

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jaret (new)

Jaret | 210 comments Welcome to the March birthstone challenge. Come one, come all and join the fun. We have another double birthstone for this month, the aquamarine and the bloodstone.

The name aquamarine is derived from the Latin word aqua, meaning water, and marina, meaning the sea. This gemstone was believed to protect sailors, as well as to guarantee a safe voyage. The serene color of aquamarine is said to cool the temper, allowing the wearer to remain calm and levelheaded. Aquamarine is most often light in tone and ranges from greenish blue to blue-green; the color usually is more intense in larger stones. This gemstone is mined mainly in Brazil, but also is found in Nigeria, Madagascar, Zambia, Pakistan, and Mozambique.

The second birthstone for March is bloodstone, a dark-green jasper flecked with vivid red spots of iron oxide. This ancient stone was used by the Babylonians to make seals and amulets and was believed to have healing powers — especially for blood disorders. It is sometimes called the martyr's stone as legend tells that it was created when drops of Christ's blood stained some jasper at the foot of the cross. Generally found embedded in rocks or in riverbeds as pebbles, primary sources for this stone are India, Brazil, and Australia.

For this month:
1. Read a book with some form of water in the title (water, ocean, stream, flood, etc.)
2. Read a book where blood is spilled.
3. Read book with a blue or green cover.

Hope you have a marvelous March!

message 3: by Olivermagnus (last edited Mar 31, 2016 06:31AM) (new)

Olivermagnus (lynda214) March Birthstone Challenge

✔ 1. Read a book with some form of water in the title (water, ocean, stream, flood, etc.)
Death in the Rainy Season by Anna Jaquiery Death in the Rainy Season by Anna Jacquiery - 5 Stars - 3/19/16

✔ 2. Read a book where blood is spilled.
Spilled Blood by Brian Freeman Spilled Blood by Brian Freeman - 4 Stars - 3/4/16

✔ 3. Read book with a blue or green cover.
Apple Turnover Murder (Hannah Swensen, #13) by Joanne Fluke
Apple Turnover Murder by Joanne Fluke - 3 Stars - 3/8/16

message 4: by Marti (last edited Mar 22, 2016 05:06PM) (new)

Marti (coloreader) | 50 comments For this month:
1. Read a book with some form of water in the title (water, ocean, stream, flood, etc.)

2. Read a book where blood is spilled. Scandalous Behavior by Stuart Woods. Two stars. Finished 3/6/16. The neighbor is murdered and there are a couple of hits done by an assassin.

3. Read book with a blue or green cover. The Revenant The Revenant A Novel of Revenge by Michael Punke . 3/19/16. Four stars.

message 5: by Diana S (last edited Mar 29, 2016 04:35AM) (new)

Diana S | 470 comments Mod
March 2016 Birthstone Challenge

serial killer on the loose
Paper Valentine by Brenna Yovanoff (3/15/16)

The BFG by Roald Dahl The BFG by Roald Dahl (3/18/16)

message 6: by Lori Bryan (last edited Mar 19, 2016 08:54AM) (new)

Lori Bryan | 14 comments March Birthstone Challenge

✔3. Read book with a blue or green cover. - Irish History by Séamas Mac Annaidh 15 March ★★★ Irish History by Séamas Mac Annaidh

message 7: by Book Concierge (last edited Mar 31, 2016 05:28AM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 2644 comments Mod
March Birthstone Challenge - Aquamarine & Bloodstone
Begins: 01March16 / Ends: 31March16

2 completed

2. Read a book where blood is spilled - Dance Hall of the Dead ✔ – 12March16
3. Read book with a blue cover - Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng ✔ – 07Mar16

message 8: by Sushicat (last edited Mar 21, 2016 05:29AM) (new)

Sushicat | 61 comments March Birthstone Challenge

completed 3/3

The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi - 3.6 stars

Golden Buddha (The Oregon Files, #1) by Clive Cussler Golden Buddha by Clive Cussler - 3 stars

The Crow Trap (Vera Stanhope, #1) by Ann Cleeves The Crow Trap by Ann Cleeves - 4 stars

message 9: by Marilyn (last edited Mar 24, 2016 02:19PM) (new)

Marilyn Lott | 351 comments March Birthstone Challenge

3/3 completed

The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories by Ernest Hemingway The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories by Ernest Hemingway--3/23/16--somewhat of a stretch, but I think snow is a form of water!

Stella Bain by Anita Shreve by Anita Shreve--3/11/16

Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff by Lauren Groff--3/4/16

message 10: by Jaret (last edited Mar 14, 2016 09:01PM) (new)

Jaret | 210 comments March Birthstone Challenge

2/3 completed

The Legs Murder Scandal by Hunter Cole book:The Legs Murder Scandal|8714689] by Hunter Cole 3.5 stars rounded to 4--a body was cut to pieces; lots of blood spilled here

Roseanna (Martin Beck Police Mysteries) by Maj Sjöwall by Maj Sjowall 3 stars--cover is mostly green

message 11: by JennH (last edited Mar 25, 2016 09:12AM) (new)

JennH | 199 comments March Birthstone Challenge

✔1. Read a book with some form of water in the title (water, ocean, stream, flood, etc.)
Dead to the Last Drop by Cleo Coyle 3/20/16 3 1/2 stars - drop of water

✔2. Read a book where blood is spilled.
Undead and Unfinished by Mary Janice Davidson 3/3/16 3 stars - vampires and blood

✔3. Read book with a blue or green cover.
Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry 3/25/16 3 1/2 stars
The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

message 12: by Licha-Olivia (last edited Mar 26, 2016 12:38AM) (new)

Licha-Olivia | 266 comments March Birthstone Challenge

2. Read a book where blood is spilled. ...the boy's face was bloody.
Envy by Sandra Brown (3/26/16) 4****

message 13: by Connie (last edited Mar 26, 2016 09:33PM) (new)

Connie D | 265 comments March Birthstone Challenge

Secrets at Sea 4 stars.
Secrets at Sea by Richard Peck

2. Read a book where blood is spilled:
No Time for Goodbye by Linwood Barclay. 4.5 stars. 3/3/16
No Time for Goodbye (No Time For Goodbye #1) by Linwood Barclay
3. Read book with a blue cover:
Make Me by Lee Child. 4 stars. 3/5/16
Make Me (Jack Reacher, #20) by Lee Child

message 14: by Carol (last edited Mar 24, 2016 05:12AM) (new)

Carol | 2276 comments March Birthstone Challenge

Paradise Falls by Jonnie Jacobs ✔ 1. Read a book with some form of water in the title (water, ocean, stream, flood, etc.)
Paradise Falls by Jonnie Jacobs - 3/6/16 - 3★'s

The Tea-Olive Bird Watching Society by Augusta Trobaugh ✔ 2. Read a book where blood is spilled:
The Tea-Olive Bird Watching Societyby Augusta Trobaugh - 3/14/16 - 4★'s

The Road to Little Dribbling Adventures of an American in Britain by Bill Bryson ✔ 3. Read a book with a blue cover:
The Road To Little Dribbling by Bill Bryson - 3/4/16- 5★'s

message 15: by Jaret (new)

Jaret | 210 comments I added you to our participant list. Welcome!

message 16: by Carol (new)

Carol | 2276 comments Jaret wrote: "I added you to our participant list. Welcome!"

Thank you Jaret. I'm better late than never I guess.

message 17: by Jaret (new)

Jaret | 210 comments Carol wrote: "Jaret wrote: "I added you to our participant list. Welcome!"

Thank you Jaret. I'm better late than never I guess."

Always! :0)