The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SPRING CHALLENGE 2016 > 25.4 - Nick KY's Task: Pop Voices

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Mar 12, 2016 08:18AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17859 comments Mod
25.4 - Nick KY’s Task: Pop Voices

This is a two book task. Read one Book 1 and one Book 2.
Note: The genres "Sequential Art", "Comics", "Comic Book", and "Manga" are allowed for either or both books. All books must meet SRC requirements.

Book 1. Goodreads Voices are Good Minds. Under the link “Explore” or "Browse" dropdown arrow at the top of the Goodreads page, click on “Goodreads Voice” or "News & Interviews."* Then click on “Good Minds Suggest.” Read any book (not necessarily the highlighted one) written by any of the Good Minds authors. There are 7 pages of them reaching back to July 2008. When you click on your chosen author, the date of their interview appears at the top of their page.
*Goodreads is redesigning the navigation bar.
REQUIRED: Give the date (month and year) your author was interviewed and the page on which they can be found in the Good Minds section.

Book 2. For your second book, you have 2 options. Indicate the option when you post.

Option A. Good Choices. Read any of the five choices (or sometimes there are 6) recommended by the author of your first book. You may read any book from a series if the author recommends a series.

Option B. Good Voices. What date was your first book first published? Read a nonfiction book about any musician (singer, instrumentalist, composer, or for purposes of this task a dancer) who was alive on the date of Book 1’s first publication. Books about musical groups are acceptable as long as one member of the group was/is alive during the year of the first publication of Book 1.
example
Book 1: Garrison Keillor- Lake Wobegon Days first published in 1985

OK for Book 2: Sinatra: The Chairman Sinatra 1915- 1998,
Who I Am Pete Townshend 1945-present,
Boys in the Trees: A Memoir Carly Simon 1945-present ,
Can't Buy Me Love: The Beatles, Britain, and America Paul McCartney 1942-present
REQUIRED: Give the date of the Book 1’s first publication and the birth and death dates of your chosen musician.

message 2: by Nick (last edited Mar 02, 2016 10:57AM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 2543 comments OK'd for book 2A:
Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1) by Kami Garcia by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

If Book A is by Laurie King, then any single book from her five recommended series will work:
https://www.goodreads.com/interviews/...

message 3: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2543 comments Reserved.

message 4: by Dlmrose (last edited Mar 12, 2016 08:19AM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17859 comments Mod
Goodreads is redesigning the navigation bar. The new and old navigation options are listed in the task description.

message 5: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Nick, I'm having trouble. I went to Explore, but am not finding anything called Goodreads Voice. What part of the page should I be finding it on?

message 6: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Nick, I'm having trouble. I went to Explore, but am not finding anything called Goodreads Voice. What part of the page should I be finding it on?"

Try clicking on the arrow next to Explore, it shows up as it's own selection for me.

message 7: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2543 comments Maya wrote: "Donna Jo wrote: "Nick, I'm having trouble. I went to Explore, but am not finding anything called Goodreads Voice. What part of the page should I be finding it on?"

Try clicking on the arrow next t..."

That is correct. You have to click on the arrow next to the word "Explore" to get a drop down list which includes "Goodreads Voice."

message 8: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2543 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Nick, I'm having trouble. I went to Explore, but am not finding anything called Goodreads Voice. What part of the page should I be finding it on?"

Hope that clears it up. If you have any other troubles, Donna Jo, lemme know.

message 9: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments I found it under the Best Books of the Month selections!

I think I will do Annie Burrows The Truth According to Us, on page 1, followed by her recommendation of Chronicle in Stone

message 10: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2543 comments Donna Jo wrote: "I found it under the Best Books of the Month selections!

I think I will do Annie Burrows The Truth According to Us, on page 1, followed by her recommendation of [book:Chronicle in ..."

You are right. That's an alternate way of getting to it I did not even know about.

message 11: by Megs (new)

Megs (meganlikesbooks) | 69 comments Would a book qualify if it was co-writtened by one of the interviewed authors? The books I have in mind is Beautiful Creatures, which was co-written by Kami Garcia along with Margaret Stohl.

message 12: by Trish (last edited Mar 02, 2016 12:24AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2540 comments If the author lists favourite Series, rather than individual books, can you read any book from that series? For example:
(https://www.goodreads.com/interviews/...)

message 13: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2543 comments Megs wrote: "Would a book qualify if it was co-writtened by one of the interviewed authors? The books I have in mind is Beautiful Creatures, which was co-written by Kami Garcia along with Margare..."

I am going to say yes, a co-written book is O.K. However, a moderator may trump me on this. I will ask as soon as I can, but I do not see anything in the Rules for the Challenge to say that a co-written book is ineligible.

message 14: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2543 comments Trish wrote: "If the author lists favourite Series, rather than individual books, can you read any book from that series? For example:
(https://www.goodreads.com/interviews/...)"

It has always been my understanding that a single book from a series on a list is acceptable. I have scoured the Rule of the Challenge to find such a statement, and I have not found it. But in my opinion I think its O.K. I will ask a moderator if I have to clarify that or not. But I say...

Go ahead and enjoy!

message 15: by Nick (last edited Mar 02, 2016 09:14AM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 2543 comments Megs! I have heard from Dlmrose and you are good to go!

Trish! I have heard from Dlmrose and you are good to go also, though I have to add a notice to my task description ...because, it turns out, there is a "Rule of the Challenge" that states that one item from a series on a list does not count unless specified by the task. I will so specify.

message 16: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2540 comments Nick wrote: "Trish! I have heard from Dlmrose and you are good to go also, though I have to add a notice to my task description ...because, it turns out, there is a "Rule of the Challenge" that states that one item from a series on a list does not count unless specified by the task. I will so specify."

Cool. Thanks for checking for me.

message 17: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Mine doesn't show a Good Minds or Voice option?

message 18: by Bea (last edited Mar 09, 2016 03:54AM) (new)

Bea | 4082 comments Ashley wrote: "Mine doesn't show a Good Minds or Voice option?"

Mine no longer shows the option either, but I found Good Minds Suggest under "News and Interviews".

message 19: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2543 comments Looks like Goodreads has been foolin' around with things. "News & Interviews" has replaced "Goodreads Voices" but takes you to the same page. I will have to get that corrected -- lucky it happened before the final edit.

message 20: by Morgan (last edited Mar 09, 2016 10:38AM) (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Just want to make sure I got this sorted. haha. I feel like I may be making it harder than it is by thinking I got my books picked so quickly:

So if I use for Brian K Vaughan from page 1 of Good Minds authors...

I can read a volume from Y: The Last Man, Vol. 5: Ring of Truth series for Book 1.

For book 2A, I could read any of the 5 recs on that page? Or just the two that are directly attributed to him?

message 21: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2543 comments Morgan wrote: "Just want to make sure I got this sorted. haha. I feel like I may be making it harder than it is by thinking I got my books picked so quickly:

So if I use for Brian K Vaughan from page 1 of Good M..."

I see the confusion. I will have DlmRose add a note about coauthors. Read anything by the Author (with or without coauthor) for Book 1. Then read any of the 5 recommended books, whether recommended by author or coauthor, for Book 2.A.

...unless the moderator overrides me. I shall make contact soon.

message 22: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Nick wrote: "Morgan wrote: "Just want to make sure I got this sorted. haha. I feel like I may be making it harder than it is by thinking I got my books picked so quickly:

So if I use for Brian K Vaughan from p..."

Np. He's the author/she's the artist, but I only like her recs. haha.

If not, it's no big deal, because I also want to use Patrick Rothfuss. I just have a whole stack of Brian K Vaughan here too.

Thanks for checking! :)

message 23: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2543 comments Morgan wrote: "Nick wrote: "Morgan wrote: "Just want to make sure I got this sorted. haha. I feel like I may be making it harder than it is by thinking I got my books picked so quickly:

So if I use for Brian K V..."

Hi again Morgan,

Sorry but I have been overruled by the mods, and rightly so. This situation falls under the following rule:

"This graphic novel collaboration falls under this rule:

Only authors that are identified as authors (or a default blank in the author role field), co-authors, or contributors may be used for tasks involving author information. Other roles or functions such as editor, illustrator, artist, translator, introduction, designed by, foreward, preface, assistant or afterword may not be used for author-sourced tasks. Ask about other roles identified in a Goodreads record in the season's General Questions help thread."

So a recommendation made by an illustrator will not work, as an illustrator does not meet the definition of author according to SRC rules.

I will not be changing the wording in my task descriptions unless I find another collaboration between two authors. I'm looking.

message 24: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2543 comments The tool bar has changed again. Now the link to "New Releases" (formerly "Goodreads Voice") is under the dropdown arrow for the "Browse" link on the toolbar.

message 25: by Kristen (new)

Kristen IA (kristenia) | 719 comments My question is along the same lines as the question about reading any series title as long as the author recommended the series. What if an author recommends the 12th book in a series, but I haven't read the first 11 books? Does book #1 work or would only #12 work for this task since he didn't recommend the series, only book #12?

Thanks!

message 26: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2543 comments Kristen wrote: "My question is along the same lines as the question about reading any series title as long as the author recommended the series. What if an author recommends the 12th book in a series, but I haven'..."

I am afraid, in this instance, if the author has not recommended the entire series, only the book recommended is acceptable.

message 27: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Nick wrote: "Morgan wrote: "Nick wrote: "Morgan wrote: "Just want to make sure I got this sorted. haha. I feel like I may be making it harder than it is by thinking I got my books picked so quickly:

So if I us..."

kk. No problem, I thought it was odd since that seems to be directed at 'authors' (and she seemed to have gotten the bulk of the attention), but I saw at least one 'editor' who was also chosen to be interviewed for that section, just so people are aware when choosing to look carefully!

I'll be going with my second choice then with Patrick Rothfuss. :) Hopefully I can fit his second book in this time around!

message 28: by Kristen (last edited Mar 14, 2016 06:18PM) (new)

Kristen IA (kristenia) | 719 comments Nick wrote: "Kristen wrote: "My question is along the same lines as the question about reading any series title as long as the author recommended the series. What if an author recommends the 12th book in a seri..."

No problem...I had another pair of books picked out already and will stick with those. The two I already picked are more out of my comfort zone anyway so I'm kind of glad to have a reason to read them. That's what I love about the SRC...forces me to look at books outside my usual series and genres :)

message 29: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 715 comments Hi Nick. I plan on reading David Bowie: Starman as my "good voices" book read for this challenge, but think it is only in e-reader format...

David Bowie: Starman

Can you verify the reading length, or tell me how I need to do that? Many thanks. Jenny

message 30: by Nick (last edited Mar 16, 2016 06:11AM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 2543 comments Jenny wrote: "Hi Nick. I plan on reading David Bowie: Starman as my "good voices" book read for this challenge, but think it is only in e-reader format...

David Bowie: Starman

Can you verify th..."

Hi Jenny,

The book does not have an author listed. Is it a recommended selection? If so, from which author?

As for reading length of ebooks, it is best to ask for that info in "General Questions" or review the Rules of the Challenge.

message 31: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 715 comments Hi Nick. It's not one of the recommended selections - I was going for the second option (Good Voice) instead of the first option (Good Choices) - I was going to read something by Joe Hill for the first task - one of his graphic novels - Locke & Key Volume 3 - is that okay? I'll check on the e-length in the general questions...

message 32: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2543 comments Jenny wrote: "Hi Nick. It's not one of the recommended selections - I was going for the second option (Good Voice) instead of the first option (Good Choices) - I was going to read something by Joe Hill for the f..."

Oh yeah, I see now.

Try this.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 33: by Jammin Jenny (new)

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 715 comments Nick wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Hi Nick. It's not one of the recommended selections - I was going for the second option (Good Voice) instead of the first option (Good Choices) - I was going to read something by Joe ..."

Thanks Nick!

message 34: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1693 comments I would like to use O Jerusalem by Laurie R. King for Book 1. She lists the Kate Shugak series by Dana Stabenow as one of her favorites.. May I read any of those books for the second book. I would like to read A Fatal Thaw

message 35: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2543 comments Wanda wrote: "I would like to use O Jerusalem by Laurie R. King for Book 1. She lists the Kate Shugak series by Dana Stabenow as one of her favorites.. May I read any of those books fo..."

Yes, Laurie King lists her favorite series, so any book from one of the series will do for your second book:

https://www.goodreads.com/interviews/...

message 36: by Danielle Louise (last edited Mar 19, 2016 04:33PM) (new)

Danielle Louise (daniellelouise) | 83 comments I just want to make sure I have this right. I picked Lynn Truss, who was on page 2. So for the first book, I can read Cat Out of Hell, and for 2A, I can read The Silent Miaow: A Manual for Kittens, Strays, and Homeless Cats. Correct?

EDIT: It looks like I can't get hold of the second book so I'll have to pick something else, but did I understand the task correctly, at least? Thanks!

message 37: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2543 comments Danielle Louise wrote: "I just want to make sure I have this right. I picked Lynn Truss, who was on page 2. So for the first book, I can read Cat Out of Hell, and for 2A, I can read [book:..."

Your example is totally correct. Too bad you cannot get to the book. You may use one of the 4 others on the list, as long as it meets SRC guidelines. Or you can go with option 2B and read a biography of a musician who was alive the year your first book was published.

message 38: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments I think I need help here. When I picked my books to read it was before the revamp and I chose

Book 1: Michael Connelly on December, 2012 on page 4

Now that I am ready to post I can't find his interview. Could you help me with this?

message 39: by Paula (new)

Paula S (paula_s) | 502 comments Sheila: it's still on page 4 Michael Connelly

message 40: by Paula (new)

Paula S (paula_s) | 502 comments Just checking: are we allowed to use reread books for this task?

message 41: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7690 comments hi Nick - quick question - if in the authors intro, they mention the person writes under several names - do we just use the title name, or any of them - looking at Jayne Ann Krentz - https://www.goodreads.com/interviews/...

not concerned if you say no, just asking - i think i have books by her under all her names...

message 42: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments Paula wrote: "Sheila: it's still on page 4 Michael Connelly"

Thanks Paula I must have just skipped over it multiple times. I swear it wasn't there this morning!

message 43: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 2543 comments Paula wrote: "Just checking: are we allowed to use reread books for this task?"

Yes

message 44: by Nick (last edited Apr 11, 2016 08:15AM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 2543 comments Dee wrote: "hi Nick - quick question - if in the authors intro, they mention the person writes under several names - do we just use the title name, or any of them - looking at Jayne Ann Krentz - https://www.go..."

Sorry I have not been around, Dee. I think to be safe you should use only the author's name as it appears in the interview. If a mod overrules me on this, I will be fine with it. But I think I remember a rule that says an "author" in Goodreadsspreche is only one name.

If, however, the GR homepage reads "Jayne Ann Krentz writing as...," I think that would work.

message 45: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7690 comments I was thinking the interview which says JAK (also writes as Amanda quick and Jayne castle); but I found a JAK one to read