Our Shared Shelf discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Photography by Yung Cheng Lin

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 16 comments Photos by artist Yung Cheng Lin which "explore some of the immutable pangs and unpleasant realities of womanhood, in unsettling yet thought-provoking ways."
I thought these were definitely worth looking at, however some are indeed unsettling. I'd love to hear some opinions on the pieces. Let me know if the link doesn't work.
-Kenzie

http://www.dose.com/health/22510/Thes...

message 2: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 987 comments I'm a bit shaken for some reason. Thanks for sharing the link.

It was a sad day a while ago when Instagram cracked down on a photo of a woman in bed still, waking up with blood in her panties. They thought the material was too much to handle, yet nude women in sexual, bendy positions are running rampant all over the place.

We have a long way to go still.

message 3: by Simon (new)

Simon Kuhn | 223 comments Took a look at them and gotta admitt I was pretty shocked at first!
I read further and I think I get the main (not so) hidden meaning behind these, let's say, uncommon pictures: really shows te reality some women still have to live in and the struggles they're dealing with.

Thanks for sharing it!
-Simon <3

message 4: by Melle (new)

Melle (feministkilljoy13) | 68 comments Absolutely stunning and unsettling.

message 5: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Ana PF | 746 comments Mod
Wow, thanks for sharing these, Kenzie.

Some of them I liked better than others. Or perhaps I just understood the underlying message better? I particularly liked the one when all the post-its are all over her body and pointing at her vulva.

It always shocks me to realise just how complex our relation with our own body is. I'm not even talking women only here. We often rebel against our bodies, despise them, punish them, feel awkward about them so many times, yet they serve as our vessels, our foundations. Without our bodies, what would we be? Nothing but an idea, at best.

message 6: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 16 comments You're welcome, guys! Thanks for sharing your opinions! As for the instagram situation, I definitely feel that there is a double standard when women are portrayed in the media. Like, it's okay for them to be seen as sexual objects/subjects or selling something to make women more attractive, but when someone shows the other sides of the female spectrum (periods and breastfeeding, for example), it becomes too real or inappropriate. It's very sad. I don't feel like I am inappropriate. I was interested in this series of photos because I can relate. The picture with the bra made out of tacks is pretty spot-on, am I right?

message 7: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 987 comments I thought the bra was one of the best. It moved me. Felt like a lot of weight on my shoulders. Weighed down by responsibility, even though it was about a bra aka breast support in a different region of the body.

message 8: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Ana PF | 746 comments Mod
Maybe this is TMI, but I remember having such a hard time getting used to wearing a bra. In fact, I didn't start immediately, as some of my family vacation pics prove. Eleven, maybe twelve years old, still wearing mostly kiddie one-piece swimsuits or a bottom only. It was the last summer I would wear those and when I look at the pictures it's a weird mix of feelings. The girl in those photos is still clearly unaware of everything, but looks somewhat awkward already. I remember being so tall and still mostly skinny but feeling so out of place sometimes, and then the first reminders to walk straight, to mind my step, to pay attention to the changes that were taking place in my body. If only my mind had joined for the change back then! It's weird when your body is leaving childhood but your mind is still firmly there.
I was also twelve when I sprained my ankle and had to wear a plaster cast for a while. Apparently that messed in some weird way with my legs and so, when I finally got rid of the cast, it was decided that I had to start waxing my legs. You just take some things for granted, right? Small things at first, medium then big ones, and suddenly you are not a child anymore, but a young woman.

message 9: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 16 comments Agreed. The one with the banana really spoke to me, too. That might be my favorite. And did anyone notice how there are no pictures that have the full face? I feel that it represents the dehumanizing of women. Though that's not to say that men don't get the same treatment from time to time.

message 10: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 987 comments Kenzie wrote: "Agreed. The one with the banana really spoke to me, too. That might be my favorite. And did anyone notice how there are no pictures that have the full face? I feel that it represents the dehumanizi..."

Oh, but aren't we merely bodies? Still, after all these years? Brains are secondary. Just look at the bibles of youth, women's and girls' magazines, pushing out one truth after the other of what it is to be a real woman. One must wax and groom, follow fashion, care about his orgasm before one's own, yada yada endlessly. I'd like to see a feminist magazine for girls and women alike that is actually a global hit.

message 11: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 16 comments Aglaea wrote: "Kenzie wrote: "Agreed. The one with the banana really spoke to me, too. That might be my favorite. And did anyone notice how there are no pictures that have the full face? I feel that it represents..."

I'd like that magazine, too. On a side note, I am proud of my boyfriend, who is incredibly supportive of me and my opinions. (TMI warning, sorry :) ) He has said to me multiple times that he would not care if I decided not to shave anything, doesn't care how much fat I have on my body, and doesn't care if I bleed on his sheets if we have sex while on my period. He almost hates to have an orgasm before I do, and most often, if I don't feel like having one, he still offers to do it anyways. When I told him that I joined this book club, he was happy and excited that I was so excited. He was also a part of a club at his college that supported and encouraged women to get involved in the sciences (sadly, as far as I know, he was the only male member).
Basically, what I'm trying to say is that there are real treasures of men out there, so don't lose hope. Change will come.

message 12: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 987 comments Kenzie wrote: "Aglaea wrote: "Kenzie wrote: "Agreed. The one with the banana really spoke to me, too. That might be my favorite. And did anyone notice how there are no pictures that have the full face? I feel tha..."

Does he have a brother? Good for you, sounds like a keeper.

message 13: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 16 comments Aglaea wrote: "Kenzie wrote: "Aglaea wrote: "Kenzie wrote: "Agreed. The one with the banana really spoke to me, too. That might be my favorite. And did anyone notice how there are no pictures that have the full f..."

This made me smile! His brother is happily married.

message 14: by Aglaea (new)

Aglaea | 987 comments Kenzie wrote: "Aglaea wrote: "Kenzie wrote: "Aglaea wrote: "Kenzie wrote: "Agreed. The one with the banana really spoke to me, too. That might be my favorite. And did anyone notice how there are no pictures that ..."

Sigh. Well, good for her, too.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.