Bibliophile Academy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Hypebusters March 2016 > Did it live up to the hype?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeanette (last edited Feb 29, 2016 12:43PM) (new)

Jeanette (myriadinklings) | 12 comments Once you have finished your hypebuster, comment below with what you read and whether or not it lived up to the hype! Would you recommend this hyped book to someone else? Of course, no spoilers on this thread because we are all reading different books :)

message 2: by mariel (last edited Feb 29, 2016 01:44PM) (new)

mariel (iamyel) | 3 comments I am currently re-reading City of Bones, and I feel that the second time around, I'm more critical of how I feel about it (that is, compared to my thirteen-year old self). As much as I want to like this series, as I enjoyed The Infernal Devices and the whole Shadowhunter concept, I just couldn't fully immerse myself into the City of Bones.

In MY opinion, I would give it around 2 to 3 stars. That's saying something since this is the third (I tried re-reading before but again, failed) time I am trying to finish this novel and failing to do so.
In short, it's quite challenging to read a novel when you don't particularly like the protagonists (Clary and Jace). I'm the type to not finish a book after having read 100+ pages if I know it's not sitting well with me. I don't want to sacrifice too much of my time reading a story I am not fully into, and instead, read something that enraptures me. As much as I do like some aspects such as the Shadowhunter world itself, and a few characters like Alec and Magnus, it's not enough reason for me to stick to.

Overall, I would say the series is over hyped. It unfortunately didn't live to my expectations. I am not insinuating that Cassandra Clare is an awful writer since I adored The Infernal Devices, but this series isn't as appealing to me. Thus, in my perspective, it's rather over hyped, although the great support and love from its fandom is a sight to see.

Larkin (Wonderfilled Reads) (wonderfilledreads) I just finished reading The Love That Split The World and I think it definitely lived up to the hype.

Emily Henry wrote this so beautifully that I'm surprised this is her debut novel. The characters were all incredibly complex with their own stories and they blended really well together. I would say that the whole time travel aspect is a bit confusing but I think Henry was able to explain it pretty clearly by the end to tie it all together. At first the instalove was a bit annoying just because it's so typical in YA novels but once you got to the ending, it actually made total sense so you're able understand it better. And that ending! Sooo beautiful and wonderful and heartbreaking and perfect.

I'm so glad I chose this book and I highly recommend it to everyone!

message 4: by roshay (new)

roshay (orshay) Mars wrote: "I am currently re-reading City of Bones, and I feel that the second time around, I'm more critical of how I feel about it (that is, compared to my thirteen-year old self). As much as I want to like..."

I agree that CoB is not well written, but I'm not so critical of it because it is so old. Cassie was only getting used to the characters and hadn't developed her writing process yet back then. It definitely gets better from book 3, so if you haven't read that already (because you said you're re-reading CoB so maybe you've read CoG, too?) I think you should give the whole series a try, but if you feel like it's occupying your time, then maybe sometime in the future, you should :)

message 5: by mariel (new)

mariel (iamyel) | 3 comments ѕняιѕнтι~cнαмραgηє cσcαιηє gαѕσƖιηє wrote: "Mars wrote: "I am currently re-reading City of Bones, and I feel that the second time around, I'm more critical of how I feel about it (that is, compared to my thirteen-year old self). As much as I..."

I do want to see where the story progresses despite my struggle with the first book. Hearing the things that go on in the later books of TMI makes me want to give it a try once more but I'll probably check it out some other time. It's not a priority read at the moment but hopefully in the future I'll get a chance to read the series again. :)

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura (berry_bookish) | 3 comments My first hypbuster pick was A Darker Shade of Magic - and I personally feel that it lived up to the hype! I'd pretty much recommend it to eeeeveryone who loves fantasy and adventure :D

I can't wait for A Gathering of Shadows to arrive in the mail - maybe another week or so - because I want so much more of Kell & Lila! While I wait, though - I'll be reading another hyped book - Between Shades of Gray!

Cam (justabookeater) (justabookeater) | 7 comments My pick was Carry On and it lived up so much to the hype. I am in pieces.

message 8: by Zainab (new)

Zainab (zainabmariyah) My first hyperbuster Anna and the French Kiss, definitely (sort of hahah) lived up to the hype. Anyone who loves a good contemporary ya would like the book - and it's characters, for sure!!

message 9: by Katy (new)

Katy I picked Looking For Alaska, and I would say it somewhat lived up to the hype. It wasn't my favorite John Green novel, but it was well written and it had a good message overall.

message 10: by Sam (new)

Sam (samfalston) | 3 comments Hi, my pick was Anna and the French Kiss and...... I couldn't get through it. Maybe it's because I wasn't in the mood for a romance? Or it could have been because I've been to Paris so the setting was as exotic for me? I'm not sure why but I wasn't gripped by the story-line or the characters - Anna just seemed whiny and Etienne has a girlfriend in the beginning (what is that guy doing?!)

Who knows, maybe I will try it again sometime and change my mind!

message 11: by Thea (new)

Thea Rosemary (thearosemary) My first hype-buster was We Were Liars by E. Lockhart, and I must say, I believe it lived up to the hype.

I was instantly captivated and flew through the he entire thing in a matter of hours. I thought the overall storyline was intriguing and mysterious, and the characters were quite realistic.

I do think Cadence was occasionally irritating with her talk of Gat--it became overwhelming and unnecessary, in my opinion.

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura (berry_bookish) | 3 comments My second pick for a hypebuster was Between Shades of Gray - and it definitely lived up to the hype! It was written so well and it's such a heart-breaking story. Just sat there, bawling in bed last night. I was expecting to cry so it was no surprise. I have a short review up on my account - but I only gave it 4 stars because I thought it ended rather abruptly. It didn't diminish my enjoyment of the book as a whole, though.

I'd recommend this book to eeeeveryone. It's hard to read about such sad things, but we need to because it was real - and we need to know about it and remember it.

message 13: by Astrid (new)

Astrid | 3 comments I read 'Obsidian' by Jennifer L. Armentrout, the first book in the Lux series. I hadn't read any of her YA-books yet, so I was really excited to see what her writing style was like in that genre. I loved it as much as her writing in her NA-books and I think it lived up to the hype, although it was a little bit difficult to get into the story at the beginning, it definetely got better towards the end and I really liked it on a whole! :)

message 14: by Gaby (new)

Gaby  (gabrielaalejandra25) | 3 comments I just finished Me Before You like right now and I am literally crying right now. Im such a mess. This book lived up to the hype and much more.

message 15: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Marquez  (nika_leann) | 3 comments I decided to try The Mortal Instruments, so, I read City of Bones. Someone above Said something that I agree a little with, but in my experience, evento though it started quite tiresome it picked up. And after that ending I'm really curious to know what happens. I actually recommend it to someone who's as curious as I was, because it depends on the reader really. And overall, I give 4 stars because evento thou it picked up a little late, it's actually quite satisfactory.

message 16: by JenMarie (new)

JenMarie (thecoffeestainedbooks) I read Red Queen. I thought it was okay. I personally didn't think it was the best thing since sliced bread. It wasn't my personal favorite.
I do recommend it if you want a faster paced book.

message 17: by Reese (new)

Reese (wordsofmarvel) | 2 comments I've read Cress by Marissa Meyer. YES! I loved this book. Especially the characters are fantastic! I need to know how this story will end.

message 18: by Thea (new)

Thea Rosemary (thearosemary) I just finished City of Bones last night and ended up giving it three stars (I liked it).

I wasn't able to connect with any of the characters during the book, or some of their emotions. It was a unique story, but I didn't love it.

message 19: by Tawallah (new)

Tawallah My pick was Red Queen and I understand the bad reviews because of the many tropes. And Mare did not help things. Nothing special here but it is an okay read. So the verdict is overhyped. I am curious about the Glass Sword but the reviews were brutal.

message 20: by Alex (new)

Alex (lauzona) | 2 comments I picked The Shadow Queen by C.J. Redwine.
I enjoyed the novel, but it wasn't anything special. It was a great retelling of Snow White, and I found the pace of the book very good. Loved the authors take on magic, and the characters were good. It was just classic YA fantasy, nothing stood out.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.