Universal Geek Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul (zero1) | 7 comments I was a little let down by the book and was hoping for more and better. I thought the personal stuff was the best, like his movie theater job, Canadian comedy job and D&D where the best parts but was meh to a bunch of the rest.

Your overall impressions?

message 2: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (jeffgalactic) | 5 comments I had similar feelings. I didn’t necessarily have high expectations, but was expecting more continuity through the book. Instead it was more like a series of vignettes that had only a very thin (almost ad-hoc) connection to each other. A collection of stories like that isn’t bad, per se, although I do think Oswalt missed a great opportunity to dig much deeper into his zombie/spaceship/wasteland analogy and in the process make something with a much stronger sense of continuity and story from start to finish.
So overall, I was rather underwhelmed.

message 3: by Sean (new)

Sean (seandfrancis) | 13 comments Mod
I wanted more. There was such potential in analyzing geek culture using this unique paradigm and it fell short. I enjoyed it a lot, just not what I was hoping for.

message 4: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (kristen8) | 12 comments Mod
My take away, I really wish I had had a job at a movie theater in my youths. I'd make millions playing the half-stub game with patrons. Bwhahaha!

I totally misses the zombie/spaceship/wasteland analogy - could be that I was listening to it while working and my brain couldn't focus or absorb deep thoughts. Hrm. Maybe it was me. Maybe my brain was eaten by zombies who escaped a spaceship in a wasteland.