The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

143 views
SPRING CHALLENGE 2016 > 25.1 - Sandy's Task: As suggested by Katy: Fact and Fiction

Comments Showing 1-50 of 130 (130 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Feb 29, 2016 04:24PM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17601 comments Mod
25.1 - Sandy's task as suggested by Katy: Fact and Fiction

Read 2 books:

Book 1: Read a book with the genre "Historical Fiction" on its main page.

Book 2: Read a nonfiction book that is about the same era (same general time and place) as Book 1.

Examples -
Book 1 - Child 44 (set in Soviet Russia during Stalin years)
Book 2 - Stalin: The Court of the Red Tsar

Would NOT work
Book 1 - The Pillars of the Earth (set in medieval Europe)
Book 2 - Handbook to Life in Medieval and Early Modern Japan (same general time but NOT the same place)


message 2: by Katy (new)

Katy | 649 comments works!


message 3: by Katy (last edited Apr 11, 2016 08:34AM) (new)

Katy | 649 comments doesn't work!

Schindler's List -- fiction, but "historical fiction" not on the genre page -- 4/11/16


message 4: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17601 comments Mod
This help thread is open!


message 5: by Pia (last edited Feb 29, 2016 05:13PM) (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Here I go. Let's open the thread.

Would a book that is set during several centuries work?

The Mistresses of Cliveden Three Centuries of Scandal, Power, and Intrigue in an English Stately Home by Natalie Livingstone

It's Non-Fiction, set in the UK, but GR description says it spans over 3 centuries, from the 17th century to the 20th.

If it's possible to use it, I'd pair it with a historical fiction book set in London in the 1920's (or any book set in the UK during those centuries)


message 6: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments I love to do pairings like this.
I think these work.

Book 1. Our Lives Are the Rivers: A Novel (I'd like verification for Historical Fiction, please, even though it is on top right now.)

Book 2. Bolivar: American Liberator


message 7: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 883 comments Are these close enough in time early to mid 1900's? Both set in New York!

The Gilded Hour and The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York


message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7594 comments hi Sandy - just checking

America's First Daughter - historical fiction - the subject of the fiction was alive 1772-1836

The Quartet: Orchestrating the Second American Revolution, 1783-1789 - covers from 1783-1789


message 10: by Katy (new)

Katy | 649 comments Dee wrote: "hi Sandy - just checking

America's First Daughter - historical fiction - the subject of the fiction was alive 1772-1836

[book:The Quartet: Orchestrating the Second American Revolu..."


Looks great!


message 11: by Katy (new)

Katy | 649 comments Daphne wrote: "Just wanted to confirm and lock in genres:

1: On Stranger Tides
2: Under the Black Flag: The Romance and the Reality of Life Among the Pirates"


Looks good!


message 12: by Katy (new)

Katy | 649 comments Donna Jo wrote: "I love to do pairings like this.
I think these work.

Book 1. Our Lives Are the Rivers: A Novel (I'd like verification for Historical Fiction, please, even though it is on top right n..."


Looks fascinating - historical fic verified!


message 14: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1449 comments Checking:
1. A Few Right Thinking Men (Rowland Sinclair #1) -Historical Fiction (1930's Sydney)
2. Razor: Tilly Devine, Kate Leigh and the Razor Gangs -NF (1920's-30's Sydney)


message 15: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Katy wrote: "Donna Jo wrote: "I love to do pairings like this.
I think these work.

Book 1. Our Lives Are the Rivers: A Novel (I'd like verification for Historical Fiction, please, even though it ..."


Thanks.


message 16: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 414 comments Do I have this right?
Book 1 - Small Island HF - 256 users (set in England in 1948)
Book 2 - Millions Like Us: Women's Lives in War and Peace 1939-1949 - set in Britain during 1939-1949


message 17: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela3265) | 979 comments I just want to confirm that this pairing works and lock in the genres:

Book 1: Lord Fenton's Folly by Josi Kilpack - set in England during the Regency period

Book 2: Jane Austen's World: The Life and Times of England's Most Popular Author

Thanks!


message 18: by Trish (last edited Mar 01, 2016 12:48AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2495 comments Ooh. So many possibilities! How about either of these combinations?

Book 1: A Dead Man in Deptford - about Christopher Marlowe, who may or may not have been a spy for:
Book 2: Elizabethan Secret Services

My other possible option might finally get me to read War and Peace:
Book 1: War and Peace
Book 2: Presumably any history of the Napoleonic Wars would work?


message 19: by Fandury (last edited Mar 01, 2016 04:51AM) (new)

Fandury | 975 comments Will this combination work?

The Prestige set at the turn of the 20th century, about two feuding stage magicians.

The Dead Duke, His Secret Wife, and the Missing Corpse: An Extraordinary Edwardian Case of Deception and Intrigue about a legal case at the turn of the 20th century and a duke who did in a way his own magic disappearing trick...

Both books are set mostly in the UK.


message 20: by Whitnie (new)

Whitnie | 281 comments Will this combination work?

Bones of the Hills This book is about Genghis Khan and his war through Asia

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World
talks about how his wars modernized the world.


message 21: by Laura (new)

Laura (laurajay86) | 76 comments Will this work:

1- Sarah's Key set WWII/holocaust

2- Night


message 22: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3929 comments OK. Let's see if this will work. I started with my own books and found Doctor #117641: A Holocaust Memoir; then, I searched for a fiction book regarding interment in one of the Nazi death camps. I found The Violin of Auschwitz. Will these work?

Book one (fiction): The Violin of Auschwitz by Maria Àngels Anglada

Book two (nonfiction): Doctor #117641: A Holocaust Memoir by Louis J. Micheels


message 23: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 943 comments For a nonfiction book, I would like to read Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania, which is about the sinking of the Lusitania during WWI. There a lots of fictional stories set during the war, but how close do I have to get to the setting - which of course is mostly on the Atlantic. Will any WWI fiction do?


message 24: by Katy (new)

Katy | 649 comments Pia wrote: "Here I go. Let's open the thread.

Would a book that is set during several centuries work?

[bookcover:The Mistresses of Cliveden: Three Centuries of Scandal, Power, and Intrigue in an English Sta..."


Sorry, I think three centuries is too broad to be able to pair with a historical fiction!


message 25: by Katy (new)

Katy | 649 comments Cindy wrote: "Are these close enough in time early to mid 1900's? Both set in New York!

The Gilded Hour and [book:The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age N..."


That will work, Cindy!


message 27: by Katy (new)

Katy | 649 comments Tien wrote: "Checking:
1. A Few Right Thinking Men (Rowland Sinclair #1) -Historical Fiction (1930's Sydney)
2. Razor: Tilly Devine, Kate Leigh and the Razor Gangs -NF (1920's-30'..."


Great, Tien!


message 28: by Katy (new)

Katy | 649 comments Valerie wrote: "Do I have this right?
Book 1 - Small Island HF - 256 users (set in England in 1948)
Book 2 - Millions Like Us: Women's Lives in War and Peace 1939-1949 - set in Britai..."


Looks great, Valerie!


message 29: by Katy (new)

Katy | 649 comments Pamela wrote: "I just want to confirm that this pairing works and lock in the genres:

Book 1: Lord Fenton's Folly by Josi Kilpack - set in England during the Regency period

Book 2: [book:Jane Au..."


Looks fine!


message 30: by Katy (new)

Katy | 649 comments Trish wrote: "Ooh. So many possibilities! How about either of these combinations?

Book 1: A Dead Man in Deptford - about Christopher Marlowe, who may or may not have been a spy for:
Book 2: [book..."


Yup, both would work!


message 31: by Katy (new)

Katy | 649 comments Fandury wrote: "Will this combination work?

The Prestige set at the turn of the 20th century, about two feuding stage magicians.

[book:The Dead Duke, His Secret Wife, and the Missing Corpse: An E..."


Looks good!


message 32: by Katy (new)

Katy | 649 comments Whitnie wrote: "Will this combination work?

Bones of the Hills This book is about Genghis Khan and his war through Asia

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World
talks about how..."


Looks great!


message 33: by Katy (new)

Katy | 649 comments Laura wrote: "Will this work:

1- Sarah's Key set WWII/holocaust

2- Night"


Sounds good!


message 34: by Katy (new)

Katy | 649 comments Bea wrote: "OK. Let's see if this will work. I started with my own books and found Doctor #117641: A Holocaust Memoir; then, I searched for a fiction book regarding interment in one of the Nazi ..."

Looks great!


message 35: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments JennRenee wrote: "Maplecroft and The Murder of the Century: The Gilded Age Crime that Scandalized a City and Sparked the Tabloid Wars"

Ooh, this sounds like a fantastic choice. I've got Maplecroft at home, I just might have to do this...


message 36: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (njreader) | 1012 comments I want to make sure this works -

For Book 1 (Historical Fiction), I could use The White City (I would also like to lock in the Historical Fiction because there aren't too many main page genres for this book)

For Book 2 (Non-Fiction), I could use The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America

Both books are set around the 1893 World's Fair in Chicago.


message 37: by Sandi (new)

Sandi Barnes | 529 comments Looking at Salem Massachusetts circa 1692 (Salem witch trials) . . .

Book #1 -- Wicked Girls: A Novel of the Salem Witch Trials

Book #2 -- Aiming for The Witches: Salem, 1692 but my library network has 19 on wait list ahead of me so may need to substitute with Salem Witch Judge: The Life and Repentance of Samuel Sewall or Six Women of Salem: The Untold Story of the Accused and Their Accusers in the Salem Witch Trials

Thanks!


message 38: by Pia (last edited Mar 01, 2016 03:04PM) (new)

Pia | 1073 comments I understand. I have other books that might work:

Night (The Night Trilogy, #1) by Elie Wiesel set "at the height of the Holocaust and toward the end of the Second World War"

and for historical fiction:
The Girl From the Train by Irma Joubert

set "As World War II draws to a close"


Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2976 comments Okay finding a HF to read is the easy part and I chose The Kitchen God's Wifeby Amy Tan. I need suggestions for the nonfiction part


message 40: by Katy (new)

Katy | 649 comments Rebecca NJ wrote: "I want to make sure this works -

For Book 1 (Historical Fiction), I could use The White City (I would also like to lock in the Historical Fiction because there aren't too many main p..."


Genre locked in - looks good!


message 41: by Katy (new)

Katy | 649 comments Pia wrote: "I understand. I have other books that might work:

Night (The Night Trilogy, #1) by Elie Wiesel set "at the height of the Holocaust and toward the end of the Second World War"

and for historical fiction:
[bookcover:Th..."


Looks great!


message 42: by Katy (new)

Katy | 649 comments Sandi wrote: "Looking at Salem Massachusetts circa 1692 (Salem witch trials) . . .

Book #1 -- Wicked Girls: A Novel of the Salem Witch Trials

Book #2 -- Aiming for [book:The Witches: Salem, 16..."


Looks great! I want to read that Witches book too :)


message 43: by Katy (new)

Katy | 649 comments Chris wrote: "For a nonfiction book, I would like to read Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania, which is about the sinking of the Lusitania during WWI. There a lots of fictional stories ..."

Chris, I would say any historical fiction in WWI set in England, the US or on the Atlantic would work -- since those were the countries the Lusitania was traveling between.


message 44: by Beth (new)

Beth | 665 comments Can I get confirmation that the subject of the books don't need to align? It's based only on location and time?

I'm specifically looking at Loving Frank and Sin in the Second City: Madams, Ministers, Playboys, and the Battle for America's Soul, which are both set in Chicago in the early 1900's, but beyond that are wildly different.


message 45: by Chris (new)

Chris (chrismd) | 943 comments Katy wrote: "Chris wrote: "For a nonfiction book, I would like to read Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania, which is about the sinking of the Lusitania during WWI. There a lots of fict..."

Great! Thanks


message 46: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 269 comments Will these work for Paris 1920's (Lost Generation)

Book 1: The Paris Wife (H/F)

Book 2: A Moveable Feast (Nonfiction)

Thanks


message 47: by Kristen (new)

Kristen IA (kristenia) | 707 comments I want to verify that this pairing will work:

Book 1: Roots: The Saga of an American Family by Alex Haley (historical fiction)
Book 2: Slaves in the Family by Edward Ball (nonfiction)

Both are about slavery in the American South, but the locations aren't exact (different states).


message 48: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1182 comments Will these work? Different settings, but both Holocaust:

Fiction: Prisoner of Night and Fog
Non-fiction: The Avengers: A Jewish War Story


message 49: by Suzanne (last edited Mar 02, 2016 06:43PM) (new)

Suzanne | 218 comments This is an awesome task! I've got 3 possibilities. Would you please let me know if any/all of these work?

HF: Murder on the Lusitania - takes place on the maiden voyage of the Lusitania (1907)
NF: Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania - the last voyage of the Lusitania in 1915

HF: Blood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West - American West in 1850's
NF: Undaunted Courage: The Pioneering First Mission to Explore America's Wild Frontier - Merriweather's exploration of the American West in the early 1800's

HF: The Botticelli Secret - Botticelli is a Renaissance painter who lived in Italy. (1446-1510)
NF: Michelangelo: A Life in Six Masterpieces - Michelangelo is also a Renaissance painter who lived in Italy. (1475-1564)


message 50: by Katy (new)

Katy | 649 comments Beth F. wrote: "Can I get confirmation that the subject of the books don't need to align? It's based only on location and time?

I'm specifically looking at Loving Frank and [book:Sin in the Second C..."


That's fine!


« previous 1 3
back to top