Rated YA-MA discussion

Archive > March 2016 On-Deck

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley Marie (last edited Mar 04, 2016 10:12AM) (new)

Ashley Marie Again, not sure if we want to make new threads for each month and archive the old threads or just recycle, but here we go.

March for me looks something like this:
Finish Mistborn (Mistborn, #1) by Brandon Sanderson Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews The Help by Kathryn Stockett Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill

I didn't manage to pick up The Demon King (Seven Realms, #1) by Cinda Williams Chima in February so I'll be playing catch-up with that one too.

Also on the docket for March:
Lord of the Flies by William Golding The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1) by Joe Abercrombie Les Misérables by Victor Hugo Wolf By Wolf (Wolf By Wolf, #1) by Ryan Graudin

message 2: by Jenny, puppets' bane (last edited Mar 31, 2016 02:31PM) (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments My reading plans have been failing so far, but I'll keep making them anyway. lol

Finish:
The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2) by Robert Jordan

Also:
The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3) by Robert Jordan Stars Above (The Lunar Chronicles #5) by Marissa Meyer Truthwitch (The Witchlands, #1) by Susan Dennard The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1) by Joe Abercrombie

Maybe:
The Well of Ascension (Mistborn, #2) by Brandon Sanderson Half a King (Shattered Sea, #1) by Joe Abercrombie

Finished:
The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2) by Robert Jordan The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3) by Robert Jordan

message 3: by Hillary (new)

Hillary (eledri) | 759 comments Jenny wrote: "My reading plans have been failing so far, but I'll keep making them anyway. lol

Finish:
The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2) by Robert Jordan

Also:
The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3) by Robert Jordan [bookcover:Stars Above|2568..."

Dresden needs to be on your list! ><

message 4: by Brandi (new)

Brandi (brandireynolds) | 247 comments I'm in the middle of Fantasy of Flight (The Tainted Accords #2) by Kelly St. Clare and the minute I'm done with it, I plan on diving into Fantasy of Fire (The Tainted Accords #3) by Kelly St. Clare . I'm really enjoying this series!

Then I will probably read whatever the group read is for March.

Other possibles: The Wizard Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #2) by Cinda Williams Chima Finding Meara (An Adven Realm Adventure, Vol. 1) by Lara Schiffbauer All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill

message 5: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Oh, I also got started on Stars Above (The Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyer last night :) a story and a half in and I already LOVE it!

message 6: by Melanie, mod prime (last edited Mar 01, 2016 10:07AM) (new)

Melanie | 1194 comments Here is my ambitious list for this month!

New Horizons by Dan Carr An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1) by Sabaa Tahir The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater A Study in Charlotte (Charlotte Holmes, #1) by Brittany Cavallaro and Calamity (Reckoners, #3) by Brandon Sanderson

We will see how well I persevere.

message 7: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Melanie wrote: "Here is my ambitious list for this month!

New Horizons by Dan Carr An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1) by Sabaa Tahir The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater [bookcover:A Study in Charlotte|232720..."

I hope you like Scorpio Races, Melanie! One of my favorites.

message 8: by Melanie, mod prime (new)

Melanie | 1194 comments Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* wrote: "I hope you like Scorpio Races, Melanie! One of my favorites. "

It was recommended to me from several sources, so I am really looking forward to it!

message 9: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) I have high hopes for March. Hopefully not too high.

Finish: Morning Star (Red Rising, #3) by Pierce Brown The Guest Room by Chris Bohjalian

Hanging Mary by Susan Higginbotham The Steep and Thorny Way by Cat Winters The Invention of Murder How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime by Judith Flanders Past Perfect by Leila Sales Ravensbrück Life and Death in Hitler's Concentration Camp for Women by Sarah Helm New Found Land Lewis and Clark's Voyage of Discovery by Allan Wolf The Housemaid's Daughter by Barbara Mutch The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike, #2) by Robert Galbraith

message 10: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments Firsts by Laurie Elizabeth Flynn Fire Touched (Mercy Thompson, #9) by Patricia Briggs Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2) by Marissa Meyer Scardust by Suzanne van Rooyen Storm and Silence (Storm and Silence, #1) by Robert Thier Complementary Colors by Adrienne Wilder Once a Rancher (The Carsons of Mustang Creek, #1) by Linda Lael Miller A Gentleman's Position (Society of Gentlemen, #3) by K.J. Charles

For fun, if I can:
Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven We Are the Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson The Haunting of Renegade X by Chelsea M. Campbell

It's a lofty list...

message 11: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 54 comments Finish: Stars Above (The Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyer

Re-reading: The Infinite Sea (The 5th Wave, #2) by Rick Yancey

Read: The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1) by Alexandra Bracken Truthwitch (The Witchlands, #1) by Susan Dennard Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo

If I can get to them: In Cold Blood by Truman Capote Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2) by Victoria Aveyard

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I have failed at any type of reading plan so far this year! Summer kicked my ass at work, but finally got some time to start reading again

Finish: Reaper's Stand (Reapers MC, #4) by Joanna Wylde Dangerous Women by George R.R. Martin

Read First Rider's Call (Green Rider, #2) by Kristen Britain An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1) by Sabaa Tahir Walk on Earth a Stranger (The Gold Seer Trilogy, #1) by Rae Carson

re read How to Kill a Rock Star by Tiffanie DeBartolo

hopefully I stick to these, but who knows

message 13: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments How did everyone do?

I read these:
Firsts by Laurie Elizabeth Flynn Fire Touched (Mercy Thompson, #9) by Patricia Briggs Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2) by Marissa Meyer Scardust by Suzanne van Rooyen Storm and Silence (Storm and Silence, #1) by Robert Thier Once a Rancher (The Carsons of Mustang Creek, #1) by Linda Lael Miller A Gentleman's Position (Society of Gentlemen, #3) by K.J. Charles The Beast (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #14) by J.R. Ward The Demon King (Seven Realms, #1) by Cinda Williams Chima Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3) by Marissa Meyer OCDaniel by Wesley King

The one I liked the most, other than Demon King which was a reread, was Storm and Silence. It was such an original... I hope it blows up. I also liked Cress and Gentleman's Position.

The one I liked least was Firsts. It was one of my rare 1 star reads.

message 14: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Finished in March:

3 stars - Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) by Ilona Andrews Mistborn The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) by Brandon Sanderson Lord of the Flies by William Golding

4 stars - Wolf By Wolf (Wolf By Wolf, #1) by Ryan Graudin Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, #2) by Patricia Briggs

5 stars - Stars Above (The Lunar Chronicles #5) by Marissa Meyer The Help by Kathryn Stockett I Hunt Killers (Jasper Dent, #1) by Barry Lyga Game (Jasper Dent, #2) by Barry Lyga Blood of My Blood (Jasper Dent, #3) by Barry Lyga

Had to set Heart-Shaped Box aside, I'm not in the right place mentally to be reading it right now. Fell head-over-heels in love with the Jasper Dent trilogy, and was glad to finish Mistborn finally. Also started Les Mis and the Blade Itself, but again didn't have time for Demon King.

message 15: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments The Jasper Dent series is one of my favs, lol.

message 16: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Those books wrecked me omg. SO GOOD.

message 17: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments Right!! I loved them! I particularly loved Jaspers friendship with Howie.

message 18: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Howie is my favorite <3 I named the neighborhood groundhog after him, hahahahaha

message 19: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments LOL! You read his short story? It was really cute.

message 20: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie Not yet, I'm looking forward to all the short stories. I saw there are a bunch of them :)

message 21: by Jenny, puppets' bane (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments I failed this month. I'm a failure. I only finished two. But they were long?

The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2) by Robert Jordan The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3) by Robert Jordan

message 22: by Christie (new)

Christie (cereale) Got to everything but two on my list, and read some things that weren't on my list:

5 stars: Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo Morning Star (Red Rising, #3) by Pierce Brown
4 stars: Past Perfect by Leila Sales The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike, #2) by Robert Galbraith
3 stars: Jackaby (Jackaby, #1) by William Ritter The Housemaid's Daughter by Barbara Mutch Hanging Mary by Susan Higginbotham New Found Land Lewis and Clark's Voyage of Discovery by Allan Wolf All About Love New Visions by bell hooks The Guest Room by Chris Bohjalian
2 stars: The Invention of Murder How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime by Judith Flanders

message 23: by Brandi (new)

Brandi (brandireynolds) | 247 comments Got through quite a few books (for me anyway)

Fantasy of Flight (The Tainted Accords #2) by Kelly St. Clare Fantasy of Fire (The Tainted Accords #3) by Kelly St. Clare were just fantastic. After sort of a rough start with the first book, things got MUCH better in books 2 and 3 and now I can't wait for the final installment.

End of Days (Penryn and the End of Days, #3) by Susan Ee the truth? I haven't been this disappointed in a series finale since Allegiant.

Broken Skies (Broken Skies, #1) by Theresa Kay I was totally enjoying this book but it sort of fell off a little bit in the last third for me. Still thinking about reading the next installment as I think it has room to grow but I was kind of hot and cold with this one.

Finding Meara (An Adven Realm Adventure, Vol. 1) by Lara Schiffbauer started in March but still have a little left to complete. So far the verdict is I really like the story and the world building but am struggling with the MC.

message 24: by Melanie, mod prime (last edited Apr 01, 2016 05:46PM) (new)

Melanie | 1194 comments I didn't meet all of my goals, but I read a few books I loved.

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
Carnivorous horses with horse whisperer, a secluded island, high stakes racing, orphans, and a twinge of romance. What is not to love about this book? I'm glad for the recommendations because I loved it.

A Study in Charlotte (Charlotte Holmes, #1) by Brittany Cavallaro
The was a challenge book, so I wasn't sure I'd like it. It is a very well done spin of the Sherlock Holmes saga. The great-great grand kids of Sherlock (a girl named Charlotte) and Watson (a boy named Jamie) through a series of unfortunate events end up at the same boarding school in Connecticut. They share most of the same personality (merits and flaws) of their famed ancestors. Of course they get involved in a murder case and need to pool their talents to hunt down the killer.