Modern LOTR discussion

General > Plot Discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 252 (252 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Ji Mei , Captain of the Nine (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 233 comments Mod
Hmm... Nothing comes up for now. Could try the ring thing again, but I don't feel like doing something like that. Should Sauron stay around still, infecting the hearts of men/dwarves/elves/etc? Probably should wait to decided exactly what kind of modern I'm going for.

In the meantime, I think it would be best if people make up to 4 characters, like one group that includes everyone in a fellowship, and then other characters that join them?

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) Do you mean 4 characters each or 4 in total?

message 3: by Ji Mei , Captain of the Nine (last edited Apr 30, 2014 09:39AM) (new)

4 characters each, though I'm sure that number would vary depending on what the world would be like. My idea is either they're like LOTR characters in our modern world or they're in Middle Earth, but it has evolved since the books to a more modern place.

message 4: by C (new)

C (beyondtheveil) | 2 comments Hmmmmm...it would be an interesting idea to place LotR characters in a modern setting.

Lizzie [may soda be eternal] (kisaragiidolmomo) If we do book characters hella I call Gollum

If OCS then well
I'll make an oc

message 6: by C (new)

C (beyondtheveil) | 2 comments MY PRECIOUS....

message 7: by Ji Mei , Captain of the Nine (new)

I think it'll only be fair to only have OCs and if anything else, the book characters would be NPCs. But that is still up for debate.

message 8: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) I like the idea of the spirit of Sauron returning after an eternity in the voice, and either corrupting or forging a dark alliance with figures of prominence in modern society, such as say the President or some other figure of power. Reading the discussion here, I was reminded of the opening lines of The Hobbit where they mention that hobbits might still exist, but that they are subtle enough to avoid the attention of humans, or the big folk as they call them. LOTR, after all was meant as a sort of fictional.mythical past for England and Europe in general, so it's possible that we could either have the descendants of hobbits and men learning of the threat of either an emerging militaristic presence led by the person in power under the guise of a war on terror, or the possibility of a race of subterranean creatures awaiting for the return of their master in order to emerge and take back the world for the shadow.

message 9: by Ji Mei , Captain of the Nine (new)

Or both! I like the idea of a corrupt leader and perhaps there is a guise of war on terror mixed with the recruitment of subterranean creatures. So, do you think it's best to rp descendants of the characters or would you want to rp the book characters?

message 10: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) As much as I will enduringly love the likes of Frodo, Sam and Gandalf, I think perhaps something along the lines of an actual reality involving the elements of Tolkien's novels have a certain appeal, to me at least. I like the idea of a seemingly fictional thing proving to be real, we've seen it before in films like Hellboy and the Underworld movies, and recently City of Bones and even Twilight, of another reality hiding alongside the logical one where there are no such things as hobbits and elves and such foolishness. If we want to play the main characters from the fellowship and associated people, we could do it either as descendants of the originals or people in the modern day here and now, who embody the same traits; for example Frodo Baggins could be the nephew of one of the oldest surviving toff families in England, Samwise could be a struggling horticultural student, Gandalf could be a Tolkienian professor and so on and so forth.

message 11: by Ji Mei , Captain of the Nine (last edited Apr 30, 2014 09:33PM) (new)

So now there are three choices when it comes to the rp world:

1. Our world, same history and everything, but somehow characters (either the book characters or original ones) appear and have to deal with the corrupt leader.

2. Middle Earth has advanced into a more modern place. Perhaps elves live in skyscrapers of advance feats and hobbits develop automobiles or soemthing.

3. A side world invisible to our reality. Elves and hobbits and the like are hidden from most men now, working against the dark forces all this time.

Honestly, I like the third one, but I don't think we'll be using the book characters. I feel like I want to make my own character who may share a couple of traits, but ultimately I want to have my own story (just my opinion).

message 12: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) Yeah I really like the idea of the third one as well; the hobbits could either have gone into hiding or they may have been weeded out by marrying into humans. Most of the elves would have left for the Undying Lands save for a lingering vanguard of guardians.

message 13: by Kitsune (new)

Kitsune Rose (kitsunerose) I like the third one best too.

message 14: by Ji Mei , Captain of the Nine (new)

First, once they leave for the Undying Lands they can't come back right? And second, I want to have all the races living. I know it's against the history of it all, but I want to warp it a bit. Unless the 'vanguard of guardians' multiplied in population? In the end, I like to imagine there's an equal amount of the races roaming the earth, only just living secretly, underground, or in disguise.

message 15: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) As far as I know you can't return from the Undying Lands, but if we're playing with the mythology, I don't see why they couldn't. Also if we want to keep it realistic it'll probably be a predominantly human world, but that's not to say that the other races have not, either by using magic, or via intermarriage, become part of the modern world. We have people who are humans but can be said to have elflike or dwarflike attributes, which could mean that while the elves and dwarves proper might have dwindled and are in hiding, having rejected the human world, half-bloods could be among the humans undetected, forming part of the modern fabric.

message 16: by Ji Mei , Captain of the Nine (new)

Hm, no, I don't want to mess with the mythology. It could get confusing. And the thing is none of this would be realistic in general. The main reason we all like LOTR was because of the whole fantasy of it (or so I believe), so I think it's okay to have a little bit of unrealism. But I'll allow mixed races like that too.

message 17: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) Lol certainly, but in the modern world it would make sense for there to be both a hidden and a revealed aspect of the other races, seeing as they still exist, perhaps less obviously as they did before. Perhaps Sauron has been present before, take Hitler for example, or we could chalk that down to human megalomania and have no external influence. Perhaps the intent to reforge the ring of power resulted in the United Nations, and the evil nestled inside this circle of justice like Hydra, undermining the simple good and bad dynamic.

message 18: by Ji Mei , Captain of the Nine (new)

That is exactly what I said. I direct you to what I stated above in message 14. I acknowledge that the other races would be leading a hidden life, but I don't think they'd completely disappear from the human world. Perhaps there are a couple groups (maybe as bandits/vigilantes) that are well known while the rest are hidden. And I'm still considering what the evil should be. I don't want another ring as I stated above. But perhaps a cult or some kind of organization has remained over the years and has come to power with an appointed leader who makes up this fear of terrorism while raising secret armies.

message 19: by Kitsune (last edited May 01, 2014 10:09AM) (new)

Kitsune Rose (kitsunerose) You never return from the Undying Lands so there will be very few Elves.

message 20: by Ji Mei , Captain of the Nine (new)

Then we'll definitely go with the option of having a few staying behind instead. Unless we have a new race, but I don't know if that'd be a good option.

message 21: by Kitsune (new)

Kitsune Rose (kitsunerose) Well not all of the Elves left so we're good there :)

message 22: by Ji Mei , Captain of the Nine (new)

Great! Hmm... So now the main conflict.

message 23: by Kitsune (new)

Kitsune Rose (kitsunerose) I like the idea of a corrupt leader, especially if Sauron's spirit corrupted that person and maybe Sauron can be waging a war against the rest of the "mythological" races in disguise by using humans or something like that.

And I'm not sure if you decided for sure but I don't think any of the original characters should be involved (besides Sauron obviously) since most of them died or went to the Undying Lands anyway.

message 24: by Ji Mei , Captain of the Nine (new)

I feel the same way, actually about the original characters. I would allow descendants, but none of the characters from the books will be there.

And that would be great! Like Sauron is poisoning the minds of man and the other group is trying to recruit them or find the truth or something.

message 25: by Kitsune (new)

Kitsune Rose (kitsunerose) How far descendant should our characters be? More specifically when it comes to Elves because I am totally doing a descendant of Legolas and it's difficult when they age differently and are, you know, immortal.

message 26: by Ji Mei , Captain of the Nine (new)

I think that could be up to the player's discretion. But, how about they closest they can be is a great-grandchild?

message 27: by Kitsune (new)

Kitsune Rose (kitsunerose) Sounds good :)

Do we need to create the relations between our character and the original character?

message 28: by Ji Mei , Captain of the Nine (new)

No, just current ones if there are any. That'd be a long list if that were the case.

message 29: by Kitsune (new)

Kitsune Rose (kitsunerose) Lol yeah XD

message 30: by Ji Mei , Captain of the Nine (new)

And just as a warning, I know my character is going to end up like Aragorn.

message 31: by Kitsune (new)

Kitsune Rose (kitsunerose) That's okay, mine's going to end up like Legolas XD

message 32: by Ji Mei , Captain of the Nine (new)

Now we need Gimli to finish the trio! :P

message 33: by Zac (new)

Zac | 6 comments I love this idea ^_^ I don't think I can add onto the plot, you guys have already made a good one.

message 34: by Ji Mei , Captain of the Nine (new)

Thanks, Zac! ^_^ That really makes me feel a lot more confident.

message 35: by Tessa (new)

Tessa  (panicrocks95) | 57 comments I could play Gimli XD, I've only seen like the second half of the first movie, but I can read up on him, and he's definitely my favorite LOTR character~

message 36: by Ji Mei , Captain of the Nine (new)

Well, you wouldn't exactly be Gimli, Tessa, but you could rp his descendant!

message 37: by Ji Mei , Captain of the Nine (new)

So, are we all clear as to what the plot will be and I can go forward making a description?

message 38: by Tessa (new)

Tessa  (panicrocks95) | 57 comments d(ˆ⌣ˆ)
Yeppo

message 39: by Ji Mei , Captain of the Nine (new)

Yays!!!

message 40: by Ji Mei , Captain of the Nine (new)

Check out the description. Anything I should add? Or is it good enough for now? :) Don't want to spoil everything, so hopefully I wasn't too vague.

message 41: by Ji Mei , Captain of the Nine (new)

Okay I have two options when it comes to the terrorists.

1. They are a small fellowship doing vigilante work and the President calls them terrorists by trying to turn their acts around or some such thing.

2. The President is controlling a group of Orcs and goblins on the side, creating acts of terrorism and he pretends to fight against them to better his image.

message 42: by Zac (new)

Zac | 6 comments I like the first option

message 43: by Ji Mei , Captain of the Nine (new)

Me too, if I'm to be honest. ^_^ And if we go for number one, then I'll be making a terrorist for sure! :P

message 44: by Zac (new)

Zac | 6 comments As will I!

message 45: by Ji Mei , Captain of the Nine (new)

Yay! Maybe our characters will be buddies!

message 46: by Zac (new)

Zac | 6 comments Haha yay!

message 47: by Ji Mei , Captain of the Nine (new)

Anyone have any creative names for our terrorist fellowship?

message 48: by Woolfie (last edited May 05, 2014 01:16AM) (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) FOTR, Freedom of Thought Revolution? Kind of playing of the abbreviation of Fellowship of the Ring, but it would depnd on what their terrorist aim is :p

The Striders, maybe after the person who established the movement Something Something Stryder.

The Nine, again, a ubiquitous word referring to the original members, or the key elements of their manifesto.

message 49: by Ji Mei , Captain of the Nine (new)

That's really good! I wouldn't have thought of those! Perhaps the global revolution is FOTR and two of the terrorist groups are called The Nine and the Stryders.

message 50: by Woolfie (new)

Woolfie Silvanus (nightlightknight) Aww 'twas nothing really, now that we have a professor and a spy, I wonder whether or not they would know each other, what they are and if they used a front to conceal their activities.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6