Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > Q7 Why do you think Mann made Tadzio a boy? Why is Aschenbach's love a homoerotic one?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 1922 comments Mod
Why do you think Mann made Tadzio a boy? Why is Aschenbach's love a homoerotic one?

message 2: by Eadie (new)

Eadie (eadieburke) He made him a boy because Aschenbach was married but he had daughters and it was probably out of the question for him to have obsessive thoughts about females which would remind him of his daughters. Homoeroticism is sexual attraction between members of the same sex, either male–male or female–female.

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna Fennell | 107 comments I think it adds to the obsession. At this time, it would be socially unacceptable to be attracted to members of the same sex. Aschenbach has to grapple with his feelings about this which provides a lot of the inner monologue in his head.

message 4: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 1922 comments Mod
I agree that it added to the obsession however I saw it more as a man admiring youth and wanting to be that perfect again not wanting the boy sexually

message 5: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 292 comments If the object of his passion had been attainable, it would not have led to this fatal obsession.

message 6: by Jan (new)

Jan (mrsicks) | 66 comments There's also the classical Greek theme in the novel - young boys were very much admired for their beauty and homosexual love accepted in that society.

message 7: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Robitaille | 904 comments I concur with Jan

message 8: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
I also agree with Jan and Sashinka

message 9: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 3958 comments Mod
I agree with Book that it was about desiring youth, I agree with Jan and Shashinka that it used the Greek Ideal of beauty which fit the persona of the Aschenbach's self as artist.

message 10: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1353 comments If it had not been a homosexual obsession it would have been more likely to have been consummated. There is no suggestion that there was any physical expression of the attraction, so it remained an idealised attraction to beauty and beauty alone. Mann did not criticise homosexual attraction in the story, in fact he had had a similar attraction to a somewhat younger boy when staying at the same hotel himself. He may have actually been homosexual, despite his large family, or he could have been bi-sexual, but whatever his own orientation, I think his description of a fatal attraction was depicted beautifully .