Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > Q9 At the end of the novella, the world's opinion of von Aschenbach is unchanged

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 1932 comments Mod
At the end of the novella, the world's opinion of von Aschenbach is unchanged, and the public will still react remember him based on his literary accomplishments as laid out in Chapter Two. Because all of the action in this novel occurs in his mind, has von Aschenbach done nothing wrong? Should the public's opinion of him remain unchanged? Is von Aschenbach correct in assuming that the reading public will not and should not know what inspired his great literature?

message 2: by Eadie (new)

Eadie (eadieburke) The world's opinion Aschenbach may not change because he never acted on his obsession and didn't do any thing wrong. But he did stalk him so I would change my opinion of him.

message 3: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 1932 comments Mod
I think he is right readers should not know what inspires the writers they read it keeps a certain mystery between the two.

In my opinion he did nothing wrong and even in his head his thoughts are not what I would call impure he admires beauty which is something we all do.

message 4: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 292 comments Wherever inspiration comes from, inevitably what is put into words (or any other form of work of art) is not the original, but something different, changed by the consideration of the artist. Understanding inspiration would require following the path form the initial trigger through all variations.
Anyway there should be a differentiation between the artist and his work. In that sense, his creations are a real legacy. His shady actions in Venice don't affect that.

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
I agree with Book worm in that he did nothing wrong. I like Sushicat's response about inspiration and the differentiation between the artist and his work. I found these sections in the book to be very interesting.