read with Marines discussion

archive > The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making (March 2016)

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mari (new)

Mari (mynameismarines) | 60 comments Mod
Hello, friends! I will be rereading The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in March and hope some of you will join me!

This is a very casual and relaxed buddy read. There is no reading schedule. Get to it when you can and come on over to discuss as you can.

Please start every post with the chapter or page number through which you have read. That way people know if it's safe to read without fear of spoilers. This is a comparatively short and easy read, so page numbers might make the most sense.

That said, I also suspect I'll get through this one faster than past buddy reads. If that is the case, I will be moving on throughout the series, and of course, you all are welcome to come back and discuss those additional books as well. (I'll be opening separate forums for them.)

If you have any questions, let me know! I flipping love this book and this series so much. I suspect it won't be quite as charming to everyone, but pay special attention to Valente's writing, wit and style. She's amazing and she creates a rich and wonderful fairytale.

Happy reading!

x

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (ShyNotebooks) (shynotebooks) | 5 comments "Chapter 1: Exeunt on a Leopard"

excuse me seductive whimsical wordiness in a first chapter heading isn't allo we d bc who has time to be swept up in a delightful adventure not me i am a grown working woman

message 3: by Mari (new)

Stephanie wrote: ""Chapter 1: Exeunt on a Leopard"

excuse me seductive whimsical wordiness in a first chapter heading isn't allo we d bc who has time to be swept up in a delightful adventure not me i am a grown wo..."

THIS FORUM IS ALREADY THE BEST.

message 4: by Cristi-Lael (new)

Cristi-Lael I'm so excited about this book! I have only read the Dramatis Personae and am already in love.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahannehayes) | 6 comments I requested it from the library too early because I got confused and thought it was the February read, so I had to return it today because there's 5 holds on it. Hopefully it'll come back to me before the month is over!

message 6: by Bekah (new)

Bekah (bezzabee) | 1 comments Bought the first three books in the series as an eBook bundle last year, so I'm glad to have the motivation and accountability to finally dive in. :)

message 7: by Mari (new)

Sarah wrote: "I requested it from the library too early because I got confused and thought it was the February read, so I had to return it today because there's 5 holds on it. Hopefully it'll come back to me bef..."

Welcome Sarah, Bekah, and Cristi-Lael! I hope you guys all enjoy it when you get to it. :)

message 8: by Cristi-Lael (new)

Cristi-Lael *Interlude: The Key and its Travels*

Ohmigoodness this book! It's so perfectly fanciful! It has all the things that I love about Alice in Wonderland.
I am loving the characters the most. The Green Wind, the Witches, Lye! But I especially love AthroughL. He's perfect!
I wanted to keep reading last night, but I was starting to fall asleep. (and, as you know, you have to pay attention to this book or you could miss something important) September and Ell are just about to enter Pandemonium. I cannot wait for them to meet the Marquess.

message 9: by Cristi-Lael (new)

Cristi-Lael *Autumn is the Kingdom Where Everything Changes*

I have only been reading this at night, and I think that is adding to magic of it. I am so impressed with how magical and fanciful it is.
I expect I'll finish this first book tonight and then will move onto the second. I received the paperback edition of The Boy Who Lost Fairyland yesterday.

message 10: by Mari (new)

Chapters 1-5

- I love how matter of factly the story starts: Here is September, ill-tempered and irascible enough to catch the attention of the Green Wind, climbing out of her window leaving pink and yellow teacups behind. BOOM. PAGE ONE.

- "All children are heartless. They have not grown a heart yet, which is why they can climb tall trees and say shocking things and leap so very high that grown-up hearts flutter in terror. Hearts weigh quite a lot. That is why it takes so long to grow one. But, as in their reading and arithmetic and drawing, different children proceed at different speeds. (It is well known that reading quickens the growth of a heart like nothing else.)"

I love it so much, but "reading quickens the growth of a heart like nothing else" is especially a wonderful little quote for book lovers.

- September questions if she's special and what brings her specifically into this story. The Green Wind gives her many answers, all I think have a bit of truth. I think, though, that we soon see that September is SHARP and brave and exactly the kind of girl to be in Fairyland. She won't let herself cry. On the beach, she thinks, "a girl in want of a Leopard still has feet." <-- LIKE. HOW AWESOME IS SHE?

- I think I would've chosen the path to lose your heart out of those too...

- Valente has this way of saying really crazy fanciful things but then grounding it in a real life way that tugs at my heart. For instance, she's talking about witch hats and then throws this in: "For one day, her father had put on a hat with golden things on it and suddenly he hadn't been her father anymore, he had been a soldier, and he had left." Feelings.

- "But no one may know the shape of the tale in which they move. And, perhaps, we do not truly know what sort of beast it is, either. Stories have a way of changing faces. They are unruly things, undisciplined, given to delinquency and the throwing of erasers. This is why we must close them up into thick, solid books, so they cannot get out and cause trouble."

This reminds me of the books in Harry Potter. :)

- A-Through-L is one of my favorite characters. He's such a darling and the entire idea of a Wyvern mixed with a library is silly and gorgeous and makes for an A+ companion.

- "Those were all big words, to be sure, but as has been said, September read often, and liked it best when words did not pretend to be simple, but put on their full armor and rod out with colors flying." In so many ways, this story is a love letter to stories and words.

- This story is also a lot about roles and the ways we act. So, September had her whole realization about hats, and her questions about what makes her qualified to be in this story. Then we learn about Pandemonium, a city that moves according to the needs of the narrative. September rationalizes this by thinking of how we are often treated by the way that we act, or we act according to expectations. It's a big theme so far.

- The House Without Warning! I remember this being one of my favorite of September's destinations. Washing your courage that get grimy with knowing better and your wishes that get slimy and turn to regrets and your luck, withered but not spent. I just really want a luxurious bath right now.

message 11: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Ania | 11 comments Starting my re read and so excited! It's been less than a year since I first picked up this book on Mari's recommendation but I am so excited. My plan this time is to keep track of all of the stunning sentences and paragraphs that I want to memorize or keep close. Yay!

message 12: by Olivia (new)

Olivia | 3 comments I'm going to join in this month; I'm so excited to read this. (I've been exploring various middle grade books lately.) I've only just started, but;

*The Earth is said to be part "tesseract" and I figured it was a reference to a Wrinkle in Time...but actually, Valente has a blog post about reading Wrinkle for the first time, and it was published after this book! So not a reference. But it still made me smile.
*"Autumnal acquisition" = September. How clever.

message 13: by Mari (new)

I'm in a reading slump. Bad. So I'm even reading this more slowly than anticipated. Anyway, though:

Chapters 6-10

- Our sweet, brave September standing up for the Pooka. Knowing the future only makes this scene EVEN BETTER.

- "thought you can have grief without adventures, you cannot have adventures without grief."

- I love that September meets the Marquess so quickly and what we originally thought to be her quest takes a back seat to a different quest.

- We get more commentary on war, here, with September saying that someone can't take away your spoon just because they are a governor. Marquess says that's exactly what happened to September's father, though, isn't it?
War must always be done out of sight or it shocks people and they stop immediately.

- SATURDAY! I love Saturday. I'll be honest, when he showed up, I was kind of like, "why do I love Saturday again?" and then BOOM, he insists they not whip the bikes. He's so quiet and strong and just lovely.

So, I'm noticing this time around how meaty the writing is in this story. She really is wordy. I love it (clearly) but I can see why people might not like the style. She does a good job switching things up between longer and shorter sentences. they rhythm is very well done and the over all style matches the narrative. This is what I would say, though, would probably make or break the story for other people.

message 14: by Cristi-Lael (new)

Cristi-Lael I finished up the first book and loved it so, for all the reasons you've mentioned, Marines. I also finished up book 2 and, while I liked it quite a lot, it took me a while to get into. But that may have just been my particular situation. I have a lot of books I'm meant to be reading right now and feeling the stress of it. I have books 3 and 4 here, but I think I will wait until I get my other books finished so that I can truly savor 3 and 4.

message 15: by Mari (new)

Done!

These are thoughts through the end of the book:

The last 20ish % of the book takes a bit of a turn toward the darker. It goes from being this kind of romp from place to place, to a more serious mission to save her friends.

I just love everything about September actually circumnavigating Fairyland. Later on, the Green Wind tells September that she isn't chosen, but that she chose Fairyland with each of her actions. Where else is that more apparent then here, with this brave girl binding together silver WITH HER OWN HAIR and riding on a raft, using her dress as a sail. It's heartbreaking! Especially as September cries over killing a fish, but she does it and she eats and she's the bravest girl.

I love Gleam! I know she just shows up at the end and says a couple of things, but I love her so much and that moment when she's shot through was terrible.

I also felt bad for the Marquess. We don't see much of her as a villain, but I think the bit at the end, with her story and why Fairyland is the way it is was well done.

Still love this so much and on I go to the other books!

:)