Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Workshop No New Posts > Request for Book Cover Feedback - Mystery/Thriller : Fiction

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abhik (new)

Abhik Chatterjee (abhik_chatters) | 27 comments Jack Dickens Genesis (Jack Dickens, #1) by Abhik Chatterjee

Hello Everybody,

I want to thank you in advance for dedicating your time here. I needed feedback/reviews for my book cover for "Jack Dickens: Genesis" which is due to be published on the 15th of March. I can incorporate valuable suggestions into it pre-publication. Looking forward to hearing from all of you.

Cheers!

message 2: by Pam (new)

Pam Baddeley | 153 comments I found the name at the top being a different colour than Genesis confusing as I wasn't sure which name was the author so perhaps the whole title should be the same colour.

also the strapline 'they made him start killing' etc is lost against the background even when looked at in a larger size due to the colour and the font being a bit spindly.

The colour and shape combination is striking even in the thumbnail so that is good.

message 3: by Abhik (new)

Abhik Chatterjee (abhik_chatters) | 27 comments Pam wrote: "I found the name at the top being a different colour than Genesis confusing as I wasn't sure which name was the author so perhaps the whole title should be the same colour.

also the strapline 'the..."

Hi Pam,

Very relevant feedback. Will definitely address some of the issues raised. Thank you for your time :)

message 4: by Abhik (last edited Feb 29, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Abhik Chatterjee (abhik_chatters) | 27 comments Pam wrote: "I found the name at the top being a different colour than Genesis confusing as I wasn't sure which name was the author so perhaps the whole title should be the same colour.

also the strapline 'the..."

Jack Dickens: Genesis

Implemented your feedback and I think it definitely looks better. Thank you once again :)

message 5: by Charity (new)

Charity Rowell (charityrowell) Abhik wrote: "Implemented your feedback..."

The changes that you made look great. If I was browsing in a bookstore, this cover would entice me to thumb through it.

message 6: by Abhik (new)

Abhik Chatterjee (abhik_chatters) | 27 comments Charity wrote: "Abhik wrote: "Implemented your feedback..."

The changes that you made look great. If I was browsing in a bookstore, this cover would entice me to thumb through it."

Thank you Charity ! I hope you do thumb through it come March 15th :)

message 7: by Pam (new)

Pam Baddeley | 153 comments That's a lot better Abhik. Glad to be of help.

message 8: by K.C. (new)

K.C. Herbel (k_c_herbel) | 118 comments Sorry, just saw this today.
I think the sword should stand out a bit more.
I also think "..NOW, HE CANNOT STOP..." SHOULD BE "...NOW, HE CAN'T STOP!"

Cheers!

message 9: by Abhik (new)

Abhik Chatterjee (abhik_chatters) | 27 comments K.C. wrote: "Sorry, just saw this today.
I think the sword should stand out a bit more.
I also think "..NOW, HE CANNOT STOP..." SHOULD BE "...NOW, HE CAN'T STOP!"

Cheers!"

Thank you for taking time out to give your feedback ,KC. Will make the appropriate changes.

message 10: by Kat (new)

Kat I like this cover!

It's not my preferred genre, but it would certainly catch my eye in a bookshop and I'd take a closer look and read the blurp.

Well done!

message 11: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno I like the cover, but I don't think it brings about mystery/thriller associations. The businessman image is cool in my opinion. The tree and a big red sun remind me of something Japanese, like Sakura and rising sun. Maybe it's exactly what you want, I don't know.
The colors and the images have a rather 'calm' message.

Good luck with the book!

message 12: by Abhik (new)

Abhik Chatterjee (abhik_chatters) | 27 comments Nik wrote: "I like the cover, but I don't think it brings about mystery/thriller associations. The businessman image is cool in my opinion. The tree and a big red sun remind me of something Japanese, like Saku..."
Hi Nik,
Appreciate the feedback. A lot of the book's adventures take place in China and Japan, thus, there are elements on the cover. Additionally, a red rising sun denotes bloodshed in a lot of Asian cultures. The character feeds off what you see really...in terms of his persona.
Thank you once again for your time. Always good to hear a different perspective on things.
Cheers!

message 13: by Abhik (new)

Abhik Chatterjee (abhik_chatters) | 27 comments Kat wrote: "I like this cover!

It's not my preferred genre, but it would certainly catch my eye in a bookshop and I'd take a closer look and read the blurp.

Well done!"

Thank you Kat :) You can click through on the book and read the blurp too :)

message 14: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno Abhik wrote: "Nik wrote: "I like the cover, but I don't think it brings about mystery/thriller associations. The businessman image is cool in my opinion. The tree and a big red sun remind me of something Japanes..."

Welcome, Abhik, glad to help and best of luck!

message 15: by Mike (new)

Mike Williamson | 19 comments Hello Abhik,
I would say you'd get some more folks thumbing through if the figure was more menacing. We have a businessman on the phone who happens to be holding a bloody sword.
Perhaps there could be a corpse and a pool of blood at his feet, balancing the sun and the tree. Or, instead of the phone, he could be carrying a severed head. You know, something cheerful.
Good luck.

message 16: by Abhik (new)

Abhik Chatterjee (abhik_chatters) | 27 comments Mike wrote: "Hello Abhik,
I would say you'd get some more folks thumbing through if the figure was more menacing. We have a businessman on the phone who happens to be holding a bloody sword.
Perhaps there could..."

Hi Mike...Thank you for your feedback :) Cheers!

message 17: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 1101 comments I like it the way it is. I think it has plenty of menace, the colors, the twisted tree, the huge red sun; little red petals like drops of blood. It's nice! For me adding a severed head is too much. I don't want to be hit over the head (overdoing it) with a severed head! :-)

message 18: by Abhik (last edited Mar 04, 2016 12:13AM) (new)

Abhik Chatterjee (abhik_chatters) | 27 comments M.L. wrote: "I like it the way it is. I think it has plenty of menace, the colors, the twisted tree, the huge red sun; little red petals like drops of blood. It's nice! For me adding a severed head is too much...."

Thank you :-) It gives me a lot of confidence when I read comments like yours. The one thing that I am sure about is that all the elements on the cover play an important role in the book. There will be moments when the reader will discover situations in the book that will make him turn back to the cover, look at it and go, "So that's why it's there!"