Play Book Tag discussion

February 2016: World War II > The Hiding Place / Corrie ten Boom - 3 Stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 428 comments When I first went to the library to pick up this book, I did not know that Corrie ten Boom has written multiple biographies. I picked up the first book I saw with 'ten Boom' on the spine, flipped it over and read the back of an extremely religious/religion focused book. Now, I am not an extremely religious person and avoid religious books like the plague because I feel that they read too much like holier-than-thou sermons. Disappointed that I would NOT be getting the book I came for, I flipped over the book and breathed a sigh of relief when I discovered that it was NOT The Hiding Place.

That being said, Ms. ten Boom is a very religious woman and her faith is the foundation of The Hiding Place. However, my concern that the book would be a 200 page sermon was unfounded. Corrie ten Boom and her sister, and her sister Betsie, are a refreshing example of what faith should look like: unlimited love and forgiveness.

As for the content of the story, I'm stuck on a three star rating. It was a good story, I enjoyed it, but it was not remarkable and it was not told exceptionally well. I liked it but I didn't REALLY like it.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6258 comments Lol, on your library tale of woe. I have to confess that I'm pretty much an atheist, and that initial experience would have me heading for the hills. It was nice that you still gave her a chance and enjoyed the book reasonably well.

message 3: by Becky C (new)

Becky C | 108 comments I loved this book! I agree that it is a good example of what faith should look like.

message 4: by Karin (last edited Mar 19, 2016 04:02PM) (new)

Karin | 6889 comments I came from the other direction. I have faith, but was worried it would be full of theology and certain types of sermons about things that might gag me with a spoon (yes, even those with strong Christian faith can feel that way!). It took me years of refusing to pick it up before I did. I liked it better than 3 stars because it really moved me. Not so much her writing, since she learned English fairly late but so did my grandparents so I was able to move past that, but the force of her convictions led an over 50 year old woman of that era, the first woman watchmaker in her country, to develop her own underground network, save many lives, survive internment, go on to start rehab centres and then start another career after all of that.