BooktubeSFF Awards discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived (2016) > A Darker Shade Of Magic Readalong - Best Novel Nominee (2016)

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elena (last edited Feb 29, 2016 10:44AM) (new)

Elena Robertson | 28 comments This readalong starts on the 1st March.
This is the space where we will be discussing A Darker Shade of Magic by VE Schwab. I will be reading this for the first time along with any of you who wish to either readalong or join in the conversation and I'm looking forward to sharing my thoughts with you all.

Please also remember to use spoiler tags for discussing the book.

My schedule in case any of you fancy reading at the same pace will be:
Day 1: parts 1-2
Day 2: parts 3-4
Day 3: parts 5-6
Day 4: parts 7-8
Day 5: parts 9-10
Day 6: parts 11-12
Day 7: parts 13-end

Synopsis
Most people only know one London; but what if there were several? Kell is one of the last Travelers—magicians with a rare ability to travel between parallel Londons. There’s Grey London, dirty and crowded and without magic, home to the mad king George III. There’s Red London, where life and magic are revered. Then, White London, ruled by whoever has murdered their way to the throne. But once upon a time, there was Black London...

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8 comments could the people discussing use the spoiler tags? Just so it doesn't spoil another person.

message 3: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicolepo) | 107 comments Actually, I think I'm going to join in the readalong and reread this one. I was debating about rereading it before moving onto the sequel, A Gathering of Shadows, which just came out. I honestly don't remember the first book that well, and reading with friends is always fun :D

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8 comments going to start most of today's readalongs today! Can't wait to finally get to this one and Carry On!

message 5: by Elena (new)

Elena Robertson | 28 comments I have just finished today's sections and so far I'm enjoying it but I feel like the worlds are still being explained and so it will probably be a little further into the story that it all makes a little more sense to me what everything is and how it works. I like the writing style and I like the way that we the reader are thrown into the story and are learning as we go along as that is my personal preference when reading a fantasy. So far so good and I look forward to reading tomorrow's sections and exploring these worlds and this story more.

message 6: by Wil (new)

Wil  | 6 comments I have already read this book and I enjoyed it, I initially gave it a high rating although the more I think about it I feel like it should be a 3 star read. The characters are are great none the less hope you guys enjoy the book!

message 7: by Simon (new)

Simon (ridingabluewave) | 4 comments If you are looking to save some pennies A Darker Shade of Magic is currently £0.99 on the UK Kindle store, and the follow up is only £2.01.

message 8: by Paul (last edited Mar 01, 2016 12:18PM) (new)

Paul (paul_sff) | 70 comments Day 1: Parts 1-2

I'm just going to spoiler tag all my responses. When you get to the parts I am talking about, check it out.

(view spoiler)

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8 comments That's a really good idea Paul!

message 10: by Aaron (new)

Aaron (scruffynerfer) Thanks Simon, I saw that 'A Darker Shade of Magic' was 99p but didn't know the second book was also on offer. I grabbed both :)

message 11: by Paul (last edited Mar 01, 2016 03:22PM) (new)

Paul (paul_sff) | 70 comments Day 2: Parts 3-4

(view spoiler)

Overall, I'm enjoying the first 100 pages, and hope it keeps my interest as the book shifts from world building to plot progression.

message 12: by Missy (new)

Missy  (adpibookworm) Paul wrote: "Day 1: Parts 1-2

I'm just going to spoiler tag all my responses. When you get to the parts I am talking about, check it out.

I am very much enjoying this a lot so far. I am finding the world bu..."

I agree that finding the answers to the questions you posted will be interesting.

message 13: by Brock (new)

Brock (brockroberts) | 13 comments Day 1: parts 1-2

(view spoiler)

message 14: by Andreea (new)

Andreea (magicb) I started it on day 1 too but I couldn't stop so I read part 3 too. Whoops? I am really into the book and I love the world building so far.

message 15: by Claudia (new)

Claudia | 7 comments Day1&2: Parts 1,2,3,4
(view spoiler)

message 16: by Elena (last edited Mar 02, 2016 11:20AM) (new)

Elena Robertson | 28 comments Parts 3 and 4 (view spoiler)

message 17: by Paul (last edited Mar 02, 2016 06:26PM) (new)

Paul (paul_sff) | 70 comments Elena wrote: "Parts 3 and 4 [spoilers removed]"

Red London sounds the best, for sure. I like the shorter chapters too and the split up parts. There are a ton of natural stopping points but like you said, easy to read on.

Parts 5 & 6
(view spoiler)

message 18: by Elena (new)

Elena Robertson | 28 comments Parts 5-6 (view spoiler)

message 19: by Claudia (new)

Claudia | 7 comments Parts 5&6
(view spoiler)

message 20: by Elena (last edited Mar 03, 2016 04:33AM) (new)

Elena Robertson | 28 comments Claudia wrote: "Parts 5&6
I'm enjoying this so far! Really trying to stop myself from reading on ahead!

Don't worry Claudia I'm having the same problem with wanting to read on ahead. If you want to read it go ahead I think it is great to follow your instincts when reading I might read on today too

message 21: by Elena (last edited Mar 03, 2016 11:34AM) (new)

Elena Robertson | 28 comments To the end because I couldn't help myself! (view spoiler)

message 22: by Claudia (new)

Claudia | 7 comments Unfortunately uni work beat wanting to continue reading.. Shall found out how feel about the next part tomorrow!

message 23: by Brock (new)

Brock (brockroberts) | 13 comments Lost the groove in parts 3 and 4. It's a short and efficient book but I feel like we need to move past some of the setup. Still not sure what the big plot issue of the story is yet.

message 24: by Paul (new)

Paul (paul_sff) | 70 comments Thoughts on the whole book:

(view spoiler)

message 25: by Krazyaboutbooks (last edited Mar 05, 2016 06:45AM) (new)

Krazyaboutbooks | 14 comments Just finished the book( gave it 3*s) and I agree with Paul that everything is a bit too convenient. It was an enjoyable read but nothing special and like Elena I saw most of the twists coming (view spoiler).

message 26: by Maryam (new)

Maryam | 10 comments I also gave it 3*, it was fun and fast paced read but really, I did not find this to be as amazing as a lot of people seems to think. The ending was really too convenient for my liking. I don't know if I am going to continue one with this series or not.

message 27: by Zee (new)

Zee Gray | 1 comments I just watched this booktuber 'Boundless Books' talk about this book in one of her videos. She has a great editing style and I love the intro to her videos! She is also a huge fan of fantasy, you should check her out! https://youtu.be/6mCAsDEaSsQ

message 28: by Brock (new)

Brock (brockroberts) | 13 comments Zee wrote: "I just watched this booktuber 'Boundless Books' talk about this book in one of her videos. She has a great editing style and I love the intro to her videos! She is also a huge fan of fantasy, you s..."

Her channel is magic. I'm so glad you found her videos.

message 29: by JessicaRose (new)

JessicaRose (jesrose_life) | 1 comments Hi all! I finished the book last night. It looks like I am in the minority on this one. I did not enjoy this book. I found myself speed reading the last 100 pages to just finish it. I think it's because the characters all fell flat for me. I did not connect with any of them and they all seemed very one dimensional.

(view spoiler)

message 30: by Claudia (new)

Claudia | 7 comments I was enjoying this book at the beginning, mainly the concept in general and the world building but in the end I gave it 3 stars.
Its an okay read overall and I will probably check out the next one but not in any rush.

message 31: by Libby (new)

Libby Stephenson Parts 1-7: I'm not loving this so far, but I have a theory that will make it all worth it, so this is how I'm reading the book from now on:

(view spoiler)

message 32: by Brock (last edited Mar 12, 2016 03:57PM) (new)

Brock (brockroberts) | 13 comments That's an interesting theory. I'm curious to see if you are right.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.