Pan
Mr. Charles
Cinnamon Shops
The Street of Crocodiles
Cocroaches
The Gale
The Night of the Great Season
The Comet

Sofia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Str...

The title in Polish literally means Cinnamon Shops - lovely name

Carol Interesting! I love cinnamon, especially in apple pie. ;)

Sofia I love cinnamon everywhere - I even use it with a tomato pasta sauce I make for spaghetti :D

Carol :D :D :D sounds delicious!

Maya I love cinnamon too but only on deserts, never got used to it in savory food. And certainly not in my coffee.

Sofia I've never had it with coffee, i hear they use it to sweeten it.

Maya I don't know, they use it to flavor cappuccinos in the coffee shops here.
Someone from the office brought me a coffee the other day and he was like: "I made it just the way I like it - with cinnamon and honey."
And it was horrible but I had to drink it so that he didn't feel bad. Oh, the sacrifices I make!

Sofia Poor darling. I'm imagining your face :D

Honey does not go with coffee imo.

message 10: by Carol (last edited Mar 03, 2016 11:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carol Hey girls, good morning to you from Germany! I am so looking forward to this, it seems really interesting.

I read the first story already, but I have to gather my thoughts. Will write something later.

Have a wonderful day. :)

Here is a nice image I found for "August"

message 11: by Sofia (last edited Mar 04, 2016 12:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sofia Good morning Carol

I read the first one before work this morning too. Trying to gather my thoughts as well.

August (view spoiler)

message 12: by Carol (last edited Mar 04, 2016 04:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carol August (view spoiler)

message 13: by Maya (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maya Hi girls, I haven't started yet. Will catch up with you a bit later today :)

message 14: by Carol (last edited Mar 04, 2016 05:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carol Hi Maya, that is absolutely no problem. :)

message 15: by Maya (last edited Mar 04, 2016 07:10AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maya August:

lush language, takes some time to get used to.

ok, I'm with you girls - I don't think individually this story made much sense. I imagine the stories will be connected - more like chapters of a novel but no specific plot - so maybe we'll meet these characters again?

The most I got from this story was that for him August = fertility. I'm not sure why everything had such a strong sexual context - maybe he's in that age?

Didn't understand the scene with Touya. Was it even real?

message 16: by Maya (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maya Have we talked how many stories per day are we reading?
I can read more tonight.

Carol Me too. What about you, Sofia? :)

Sofia Shall we do:

August to Treatise on Tailors' Dummies: Conclusion today

Nimrod to The Street of Crocodiles tomorrow

Cocroaches to The Comet Sunday

?

Sofia Maya wrote: "August:

ok, I'm with you girls - I don't think individually this story made much sense. I imagine the stories will be connected - more like chapte..."

fertility and sex fit right in together so maybe the imagery is that.

I did not fully get the Touya part either.

Carol - you mentioned the photos before - a 'snake' in Eden maybe. And maybe it is not all so idyllic, nature will be nature and humans will be humans.

message 20: by Maya (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maya Sofia wrote: "Shall we do:

?"

Sounds good to me.

Carol Sofia wrote: "Shall we do:

?"

perfect plan!

message 22: by Carol (last edited Mar 04, 2016 09:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carol Maya wrote: "August:

ok, I'm with you girls - I don't think individually this story made much sense. I imagine the stories will be connected - more like chapte..."

That perhaps the narrator is in that age is the best explanation for all those sexually loaded images I have heard so far. I also do not get the Touya part.

It definitely had a dreamlike quality to it, but I think her open masturbation?scene was not a dream, but something which the narrator saw and by which he was fascinated.

I have heard some accounts of mentally differently-abled people who somehow did not feel as ashamed about sex and masturbation as the rest of society. So perhaps this scene was about something he perhaps saw this "dimwitted" (his words), homeless girl do?

message 23: by Maya (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maya yeah, maybe this was the time of his sexual awakening, I guess we'll have more context with the next stories.

Perhaps that scene with the girl experiencing sexual pleasure in the open indicated some shame on the narrator's part and this might be related to religion because he began the scene with:

No one knew that there, on that refuse dump, the month
of August had chosen to hold that year its pagan orgies.

message 24: by Carol (last edited Mar 04, 2016 09:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carol Visitation (view spoiler)

message 25: by Carol (last edited Mar 04, 2016 09:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carol Visitation (view spoiler)

Carol Maya wrote: "yeah, maybe this was the time of his sexual awakening, I guess we'll have more context with the next stories.

Perhaps that scene with the girl experiencing sexual pleasure in the open indicated so..."

makes sense to me.

Sofia Visitation (view spoiler)

More reading later.

Sofia Thanks for the link Carol - I had not realised what it was either :D

Visitation(view spoiler)

about your discussions re Touya above - inhibitions are a layer society forces on us. Babies, little children, people who disregard society willingly or through illness are free of this layer. Touya through her disability is more part of the world (nature) than we get to be with our clothes on (layers, inhibitions)

Carol Sofia wrote: "Visitation [spoilers removed]

More reading later."

(view spoiler)

message 30: by Maya (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maya I just watched Spotlight - finally a movie I was able to sit through without getting bored. Powerful story!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1895587/

now I can go back to reading :)

Sofia Spotlight is on my tbs - glad that it has your high five as well Maya.

Sofia I like the visual Carol - some writers are able to draw you in and make you feel like you are there - that's art for me :D

Creating stories to cope, changing perspectives as a coping mechanism may be considered as a somewhat risky proposition but to me it is much better than letting yourself go down the spiral of despair. Yeah - I do make myself see the glass half full.

Carol Birds (view spoiler)

message 34: by Carol (last edited Mar 04, 2016 10:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carol I also want to watch Spotlight, glad that you liked it, Maya. :)

Sofia, I really really admire your optimism. I am also working towards seeing the glass half full, it is much healthier. :) Creating stories to cope is something we all do, I think.
Birds (view spoiler)

message 35: by Maya (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maya Carol wrote: "I also want to watch Spotlight, glad that you liked it, Maya. :)"

I might be a little biased because I really like Mark Ruffalo but it's worth watching imo. :)

message 36: by Maya (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maya Visitation - yup, this was not about the visitors in the house.
I think what he writes is magical realism? - it reminds me a little of Isabel Allende's books.

The could totally see this huge house feeling like a labyrinth to the narrator. Maybe the physical shrinking of the father was just the way for him to accept the father disappearing from his life.

message 37: by Maya (last edited Mar 04, 2016 12:21PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maya Carol wrote: "Visitation
I found an interesting Freudian interpretation of this text.
To be honest, I just wanted to know what that weird "instrument" was the father used. I only then realized that it was an ..."

I didn't realize what the instrument was either...

ETA: The text in the link was very interesting. thanks, Carol.

Sofia Birds(view spoiler)

message 39: by Maya (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maya Birds - agree with you Carol - this was the best story so far for me too.
(view spoiler)

Sofia Maya wrote: "Visitation - yup, this was not about the visitors in the house.
I think what he writes is magical realism? - it reminds me a little of Isabel Allende's books.

The could totally see this huge house..."

House of Magic

message 41: by Maya (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maya also re Birds - I do see the humor but it's also obvious how lonely the father is because of his illness. I keep thinking he shrinks because is of less and less importance to his family.

message 42: by Carol (last edited Mar 04, 2016 01:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carol Maya, I only know Gabriel Garcia Marquez/Murakami and Grass in terms of magical realism. Could you recommend me any books by Allende?
It is funny that in Bulgarian being crazy is linked to bugs/beetles and in English it is linked to bats ("bats in the belfry.", batshit insane etc). All those animals. :)

I honestly do not know about the "sinful and unnatural" part regarding the birds. Perhaps we will get to know about it in later stories?

Sofia, I really liked your interpretation of young vs. old in Birds. I did not think about that, but now it seems obvious.

Glad that I was not the only one to wonder about the "instrument". I thought I just missed something, happens all the time. :)

message 43: by Maya (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maya The House of the Spirits is her most popular work, I think. And it's a favorite of mine. You've probably seen the movie?
I had an Isabel Allende reading period about 7-8 years ago when I read all of her books for adults (she has children's books too) a matter of several months.

Sofia Maya wrote: "also re Birds - I do see the humor but it's also obvious how lonely the father is because of his illness. I keep thinking he shrinks because is of less and less importance to his family."

That's a great thought. The direct relationship between being seen, being needed and our stature.

Carol Maya wrote: "The House of the Spirits is her most popular work, I think. And it's a favorite of mine. You've probably seen the movie?
I had an Isabel Allende reading period about 7-8 years ago when..."

No, I have not seen the movie. But I will put this on my to-read-list, thanks!

message 46: by Sofia (last edited Mar 05, 2016 03:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sofia I had watched the film but I felt ambivalent about it. I keep thinking how can one translate Schulz words into film.

By the way Maya we're watching Gyllenhaal's Southpaw tonight.

Hope i can stay away for Tailor Dummies after :-)

message 47: by Maya (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maya Sofia wrote: "I had watched the film buti felt ambivalent about it. I keep thinking how can one translate Schulz words into film.

By the way Maya we're watching Gyllenhaal's Southpaw tonight.

Hope i can stay a..."

yeah, it wasn't a great adaptation:/

I want to watch a Jake G. movie too now!!

message 48: by Carol (last edited Mar 04, 2016 02:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carol Tailors' dummies, treatises on tailors' dummies 1-3 (view spoiler)

message 49: by Carol (last edited Mar 04, 2016 02:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carol Sofia, actually, there is a movie about The Street of Crocodiles. It is only 20 min long, so perhaps I will watch it after our BR.

Going to bed now. Have fun, see you guys tomorrow. :) Glad we are doing this together!

message 50: by Maya (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maya The three Dummies stories:
(view spoiler)

Good night from me too :)

« previous 1 3 4