Play Book Tag discussion

February 2016: World War II > The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - 5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Olivermagnus (new)

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 2028 comments The Book Thief begins in 1939 Nazi Germany where we first meet Liesel Meminger and her younger brother. They are being taken by their mother to live with a foster family outside Munich. On the journey, Death visits the young boy, and notices Liesel. It will be the first of many near encounters. Standing by her brother's grave, Liesel's life is changed forever when she picks up a book, hidden in the snow. It's The Gravedigger’s Handbook, left there by accident, and it is her first act of book thievery. Beyond books, Liesel learns the depths that humanity can sink to.

I won't linger on the synopsis of the book since it's been reviewed hundreds of times. Despite the rave reviews over the years I've just never gotten around to reading the book, even though I loved Zusack's, I Am the Messenger. I certainly wish I had read it sooner and I was completely captivated by this unique story. The author's decision to cast Death as the narrator was such a great idea. Death is not the one-dimensional character we are used to either. This Death has both a sense of humor and a heart.

While Death was my favorite, I felt like the special relationships Liesel develops with the fantastic cast of characters was particularly charming. I will remain haunted by the people I came to care about: Liesel, the Hubermanns, Rudy Steiner and, of course, Max Vandenburg. The Book Thief is destined to be a modern day classic and I'm glad I finally had a chance to read it.

message 2: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1482 comments so happy you loved it.

message 3: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments ❤️

message 4: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments It is both tragic and heartwarming. So glad you loved it!

message 5: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1313 comments I'm so glad you ended up loving it. I think it's fantastic too. I still need to read I am the Messenger. I've heard such good things about it.

message 6: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4983 comments I loved The Book Thief (gave it a 5), but not so much I am the Messenger (I gave it a 3). I liked much better When Dogs Cry (4).

message 7: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (margarette) | 292 comments This is a favorite of mine too.