CPL's Book Quest: The Challenge discussion

2016 Weekly Threads > Week 9- What Will You Do With Your Extra Day?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 732 comments Mod
Once every four years, February gets an extra day. Today is February 29th- our Leap Day. We will not be getting another extra day until 2020. So my question is, what will you do with your extra day? Will you read? Work? Spend time with family? Friends? Take a moment to appreciate this little bit of extra at the end of February. It'll be four years until we see it again.

As always, what are you reading this week? I am determined to finish Monuments Men and I am also working on A Frozen Heart.

The Monuments Men Allied Heroes, Nazi Thieves, and the Greatest Treasure Hunt in History by Robert M. Edsel A Frozen Heart by Elizabeth Rudnick

message 2: by J (new)

J (luckyladyvabch) | 177 comments Mod
I just finished book 8 of the Pretty Little Liars series titled Wanted - I'm a little disappointed because I have really enjoyed listening to the series using Overdrive but books 9 - 16 have not been recorded. Insert mad face here >:(

I'm still trying to finish my February Dewey Decimal Challenge - Ghosts of Virginia's Tidewater - which if I buckle down I should be able to finish this evening.

I'm also still in the middle of two of my personal challenges - AlphaBio challenge - this is where I select two letters each month and read a biography on someone with those letters. February was W and H - I finished Dennis Wilson: The Real Beach Boy for W and began reading Bombshell: The Life and Death of Jean Harlow - I'm about a quarter of the way finished. The second challenge was to read a book with a duo - whether it be lovers, friends, a mother and daughter, or a superhero and sidekick. For this challenge I picked The Beach Quilt - it is about the lives of two best friends and their mothers dealing with a teenage pregnancy.

Unfortunately both books will not be finished by this evening but that's okay - I will keep at it.

Currently Reading
The Beach Quilt by Holly Chamberlin and Ghosts of Virginia's Tidewater by L.B. Taylor Jr.

message 3: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Hurst (bookrdr) | 279 comments We got an extra day, but there were still dance practice for my daughter's dance team so I can't see it felt like an extra day. Ha ha.
I did get in a lot of reading in though. I'm reading the first Secret Circle book. Same author as The Vampire Diaries.

Have you ever read a book and then felt like you had already read this book? Since this was also a television show, I can't figure out if it's familiar because I watch the show or if I actually have read this book before.

Guess what's really exciting? My neighbor, who works for the library, set up one of the free libraries in her yard! It looks like a birdhouse and is filled with books for kids and adults. I'm so excited because I've loved this concept. I've already gone and picked up a book from there. I will dig into that one after I finish my secret circle book.

message 4: by J (new)

J (luckyladyvabch) | 177 comments Mod
Ingrid wrote: "I'm reading the first Secret Circle book. Same author as The Vampire Diaries. Have you ever read a book and then felt like you had already read this book? Since this was also a television show, I can't figure out if it's familiar because I watch the show or if I actually have read this book before. "

I both read that series and watched the show - I can honestly say that parts of the show are similar to the book but the book was definitely different - so it is possible that you watched the show and it feels vaguely familiar because of that.

A free library in the yard! That is exciting - my daughter's school has a free library out front for children and parents to checkout. It is nice.

message 5: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 732 comments Mod
Ingrid wrote: "Have you ever read a book and then felt like you had already read this book? Since this was also a television show, I can't figure out if it's familiar because I watch the show or if I actually have read this book before."

I understand what you mean. I sometimes feel that some authors repeat the same plot over and over which leads to all their books feeling the same. So even if I've never read the particular book, I feel like I've read it because its so similar to others. Since what you are reading is also a television show, it makes sense that it feels so familiar. I'm sure they pulled out a lot of the book plot for the show.

That is so exciting that your neighbor is doing a free little library! It is such a great idea.