Audiobooks discussion

1725 views
Narrators' Corner > Pictures of narrators?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Mandina (buffywnabe) | 17 comments Hi, I"m new to the group, and kinda new to audiobooks. I fell in love after listening to one last May, and now have a question. In the current audiobook I'm listening to, one of the narrators' voices bothers me a bit. It is a male with a British accent. The character he is reading for is supposed to be a 21 year old male, but to me the voice sounds like a much older man. Do you know if there is any way to find a picture of them? If I could just see a picture showing me a younger guy it might help me. The narrator is Shane East, it is for the After series by Anna Todd. Thanks!


message 2: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (new)

Grumpus | 474 comments Welcome Lisa!

You can check out our friends at AudioFile.

http://www.audiofilemagazine.com/

Click the "Narrators" tab at the top and then they're all alphabetical and easy to find.


message 3: by Faith (new)

Faith | 408 comments Grumpus wrote: "Welcome Lisa!

You can check out our friends at AudioFile.

http://www.audiofilemagazine.com/

Click the "Narrators" tab at the top and then they're all alphabetical and easy to find."


He isn't on their list, or on GR or IMDb.


message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Mandina (buffywnabe) | 17 comments Faith wrote: "Grumpus wrote: "Welcome Lisa!

You can check out our friends at AudioFile.

http://www.audiofilemagazine.com/

Click the "Narrators" tab at the top and then they're all alphabetical and easy to fin..."


I have been searching online, googling and such, and can't seem to find him either. I wondered if maybe he went under another name as well. Thanks for your help anyway!


message 5: by Grumpus, Hearing aide (new)

Grumpus | 474 comments Hmmm...maybe Auriela from AudioFile could help. I know she monitors our group. We'll have to wait and see.


message 6: by AudioFile (new)

AudioFile Mag | 1799 comments We're checking this out, Lisa. Will get back to you!


message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Mandina (buffywnabe) | 17 comments AudioFile wrote: "We're checking this out, Lisa. Will get back to you!"

Thanks!


message 8: by Jem (new)

Jem Matzan Looks like a pseudonym. A lot of narrators (most?) use pseudonyms for certain kinds of work, such as if they are taking an unusually low rate for a certain book. Romance and erotica narrators are almost universally using fake names. Some narrators (and authors) use different names as "brands" for genres or styles. And some people might use fake names as a way to work around income reporting for tax or union purposes.


message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Mandina (buffywnabe) | 17 comments Jem wrote: "Looks like a pseudonym. A lot of narrators (most?) use pseudonyms for certain kinds of work, such as if they are taking an unusually low rate for a certain book. Romance and erotica narrators are a..."

Interesting! I guess looks don't really matter. It is just that the voice makes me think of an older man as opposed to a guy in his early 20s. Just thought I was curious and would ask.


message 10: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments Narrators that sound much older than the character they are to be portraying are a pet peeve of mine. It's fine in a book in the 3rd person, but if they are narrating from a character's point of view it bothers me a lot.

Re: photos, I once looked up the picture a narrator whose voice I found attractive. Turns out he didn't look anything like I pictured. Since then I have decided to just stick with the vision in my head. :)


message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Mandina (buffywnabe) | 17 comments Kristie wrote: "Narrators that sound much older than the character they are to be portraying are a pet peeve of mine. It's fine in a book in the 3rd person, but if they are narrating from a character's point of vi..."

Yeah, I guess as the book goes along, it's a really long one, the voice is beginning to be what I think of with the character now. So I guess I might be over the age thing. And you're right, people never look like what I imagine from their voices. That's how radio used to be!


message 12: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Skyboat Media is doing a production of "The City On The Edge Of Forever", originally a script by Harlan Ellison, rewritten & voted the best of the original Star Trek episodes. They've got a KickStarter campaign going on to fund it & they're sending out updates. One of them is this clip of Jean Smart and John Rubinstein reading a bit.
https://vimeo.com/157520721


message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Mandina (buffywnabe) | 17 comments Jim wrote: "Skyboat Media is doing a production of "The City On The Edge Of Forever", originally a script by Harlan Ellison, rewritten & voted the best of the original Star Trek episodes. They've got a KickSta..."

What does this have to do with my question?


message 14: by Dara (new)

Dara | 6 comments I once read a YA book that was about a younger kid and the narrator I swear was a 60 year old. It was really hard to get past that one. I do hate it when the voices don't match the Character's. I think it takes away from the book, its distracting.


message 15: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Lisa wrote: "What does this have to do with my question? "

I have no idea. I saw the topic title & thought a video of narrators doing their work would be welcome. If it's not, don't read the comment.


message 16: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 941 comments Jim wrote: "Lisa wrote: "What does this have to do with my question? "

I have no idea. I saw the topic title & thought a video of narrators doing their work would be welcome. If it's not, don't read the comment."


Maybe you could just delete your comment since it's off topic and start your own thread?


message 17: by AudioFile (new)

AudioFile Mag | 1799 comments Lisa wrote: "Hi, I"m new to the group, and kinda new to audiobooks. I fell in love after listening to one last May, and now have a question. In the current audiobook I'm listening to, one of the narrators' voic..."

Faith wrote: "Grumpus wrote: "Welcome Lisa!

You can check out our friends at AudioFile.

http://www.audiofilemagazine.com/

Click the "Narrators" tab at the top and then they're all alphabetical and easy to fin..."


Hi Lisa,

This is Aurelia for AudioFile. As several other of our good GR members have suggested, 'Shane East' is almost undoubtedly a pseudonym used by a narrator when doing romance novels. As Jem said, it's not unusual for actors to use different names when recording romance and erotica.

Also, some narrators who specialize in two very different types of work, for example (I'm inventing this example), mysteries and military histories, might use two different names so as not to confuse listeners. That's less usual than it used to be, and in those cases, they likely release a lot of information about themselves under each name.


message 18: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Mandina (buffywnabe) | 17 comments AudioFile wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Hi, I"m new to the group, and kinda new to audiobooks. I fell in love after listening to one last May, and now have a question. In the current audiobook I'm listening to, one of the na..."

Ah! That's interesting. Unfortunately I can't find anything about the Shane East name. But that's okay. I was just curious! The voice might be growing on me the more I listen and working better. :-)

Thanks for your information!


message 19: by AudioFile (new)

AudioFile Mag | 1799 comments Lisa wrote: "AudioFile wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Hi, I"m new to the group, and kinda new to audiobooks. I fell in love after listening to one last May, and now have a question. In the current audiobook I'm listening..."

A pleasure!


message 20: by April (new)

April  | 4 comments I can't find a picture of the woman reading my audiobook either, her name is Kathleen Early.


message 21: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1507 comments i believe this is Kathleen Early - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1851793/ - all her audiobooks biosvtalk about her being an accomplished hollywood actress


message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Mandina (buffywnabe) | 17 comments Okay, how about Cal Wembly? Does anyone have a picture of this narrator? Or maybe it's another pseudonym.


message 23: by J. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (new)

J.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ | 719 comments A lot of narrators have a weak online presence. Not much of a tweeterererer myself, but I have been able to find several of them there.


message 24: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 1944 comments Lisa wrote: "Okay, how about Cal Wembly? Does anyone have a picture of this narrator? Or maybe it's another pseudonym."

Not sure if that is a pseudonym or if it is just a new narrator, I have never heard of him and he only has 3 books on audible, so it's hard to say. But the name does sound a bit suspicious. After some research though I am thinking it may be a pseudonym since I can't find a website for this person or anything other than the publishers page for those 3 audiobooks.


message 25: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1507 comments i wish more narrators had an online presence, even if its twitter or facebook - i love tagging them in my tweets about current lists and in general, more likely to pick up other books by them in the future if i have some interaction


message 26: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Mandina (buffywnabe) | 17 comments The name is a bit weird sounding, almost like it was picked in a way.


message 27: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3235 comments Just wondering... when you click on a narrator's name and it takes you to their Audible page, do you only get narrations by that name or all their works? I know that Robert Whitfield takes you to the Simon Vance page. I don't know if, say, David Case and Frederick Davidson share a page as well, but maybe this other person has another more known name.


message 28: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Mandina (buffywnabe) | 17 comments Not sure. I'll go check it out.


message 29: by AudioFile (new)

AudioFile Mag | 1799 comments Jeanie wrote: "Just wondering... when you click on a narrator's name and it takes you to their Audible page, do you only get narrations by that name or all their works? I know that Robert Whitfield takes you to t..."

Jeanie, this is Aurelia. When I click on Simon Vance in GoodReads, I am taken to his page; when I click on Robert Whitfield, I am taken to a separate page with no photo, the note "Pseudonym of Simon Vance", and a listing of Robert Whitfield narrations. On Audible, I also find them to be two separate pages. I searched for several Simon Vance narrated books on the Robert Whitfield page, and they weren't listed. Thus, I assume there's no overlap.


message 30: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3235 comments AudioFile wrote: "Jeanie wrote: "Just wondering... when you click on a narrator's name and it takes you to their Audible page, do you only get narrations by that name or all their works? I know that Robert Whitfield..."

Good to know. It was just that back went Simon Vance visited our Narrator's Corner I scoured his pages--boy were there a lot of them!--and Robert Witfield showed up among his books... of course, that was on Audible and it may not actually be complete, i.e., not all of Witfield will actually show up on Simon's page but only parts of series or something.

Maybe someone should alert GR that they need to crosslink narrators pseudonyms. Do they do that with authors?


message 31: by AudioFile (new)

AudioFile Mag | 1799 comments Jeanie wrote: "AudioFile wrote: "Jeanie wrote: "Just wondering... when you click on a narrator's name and it takes you to their Audible page, do you only get narrations by that name or all their works? I know tha..."

Yes and no, I'd say. The GR page for Ruth Rendell says that she also wrote as Barbara Vine, but does not list the Barbara Vine books. The GR Barbara Vine page does likewise with a mention of Ruth Rendell. When you look up a 'Barbara Vine' book, it lists Ruth Rendell and Barbara Vine as author!


message 32: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 1944 comments But some narrators don't want their pseudonym's linked to their regular work kind of defeats the purpose of a pseudonym. Some use the pseudonym to do more erotic titles that they would rather not have show up on their regular page.

This is not the case with Simon Vance/Robert Witfield I think that was the name he started with and then decided to use his own name.


message 33: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3235 comments Actually, I think Simon Vance and many other pioneer narrators used pseudonyms when they worked for a different publisher than their primary publisher since they weren't under exclusive contracts. And Vance also worked under the name Tom Parker.


message 34: by MissSusie (last edited Apr 27, 2016 11:04AM) (new)

MissSusie | 1944 comments Jeanie wrote: "Actually, I think Simon Vance and many other pioneer narrators used pseudonyms when they worked for a different publisher than their primary publisher since they weren't under exclusive contracts. ..."

True but Grover Gardner is Tom Parker.

But now days I've seen it more about the type of books. I belong to a group on FB that is kind of industry insiders and this is what they have said in the group is using a pseudonym for the erotic stuff.


message 35: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3235 comments Oops, too many narrator names in my head!


message 36: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Hill (valeehill) | 1 comments Lisa wrote: "Hi, I"m new to the group, and kinda new to audiobooks.."

Hi Lisa! I don't know if you're still interested in finding out about Shane East. I've long been interested myself! The first time I heard his narration was as Ethan Blackstone in Raine Miller's Blackstone Affair series. It is my STRONG belief that Shane East is the pseudonym of British actor/audiobook narrator Steve West. If you listen to samples of Steve West's narration on Audible he sounds identical to Shane East. Then there is the similarity in names. Steve West has a page on IMDb. Currently there are only three photographs, but you can get an idea of what he looks like. I think he's rather handsome!


message 37: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Mandina (buffywnabe) | 17 comments Thanks! I'll go check it out!!


message 38: by comfort (new)

comfort | 26 comments Can't help myself, I have been trying to stalk Sebastian York and I get nothing, anywhere, anyone know of a picture of him?


message 39: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Mandina (buffywnabe) | 17 comments Virginia wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Hi, I"m new to the group, and kinda new to audiobooks.."

Hi Lisa! I don't know if you're still interested in finding out about Shane East. I've long been interested myself! The first ..."


So I went and compared the audio, and it does sound the same. And if it's him, I definitely think his voice and face match. And they work for when I'm listening to Hardin on the After series by Anna Todd audiobooks. Thanks! I've kind of asked him on his Facebook page about it, but he's not answered me.


message 40: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 1944 comments comfort wrote: "Can't help myself, I have been trying to stalk Sebastian York and I get nothing, anywhere, anyone know of a picture of him?"

This interview with him makes me wonder if this is a pseudonym or that he really doesn't want his face out there

http://happyeverafter.usatoday.com/20...


message 41: by Megan (new)

Megan (altmegan) Steve West also narrates An Ember in the Ashes and its sequel A Torch Against the Night. I find his voice very attractive! In this series he is narrating for a character around 20 years old and I didn't think he sounded too old at all. In my review for An Ember in the Ashes, I even described his voice as sounding like a young Richard Armitage.

I agree with Kristie's comment about photos, though. I don't want to see what he really looks like. I'd rather picture the character in my head than the narrator.


message 42: by Pages (new)

Pages | 1 comments Virginia wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Hi, I"m new to the group, and kinda new to audiobooks.."

Hi Lisa! I don't know if you're still interested in finding out about Shane East. I've long been interested myself! The first ..."


Thank you! I came here after listening to "Dark Wild Night" by Christina Lauren. The narrator clearly wasn't Australian - I guessed he was British attempting an Australian accent. It was bugging me, so thank you for solving that mystery. Now I'm wondering why they don't just hire an Australian voice actor?


message 43: by comfort (new)

comfort | 26 comments I am from Australia, and for some reason I find it really hard to listen to Australian narrators, which means I don't listen to many Australian audiobooks. Some of the "actors" have a sort of neutral accent which is fine, but a hard-core Aussie accent makes me stop listening. Even my local librarian has the same problem.I guess we don't like hearing our accent played back to us.


message 44: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Mandina (buffywnabe) | 17 comments comfort wrote: "I am from Australia, and for some reason I find it really hard to listen to Australian narrators, which means I don't listen to many Australian audiobooks. Some of the "actors" have a sort of neutr..."

I wish I could "like" posts. That is funny! :-)


message 45: by Kori (new)

Kori Colleen | 1 comments I am new to this group and joined specifically for this thread. I listen to audiobooks every day and Shane east is my favorite narrator, so to find out his name is Steve West has gotten me so excited! And he has pictures and he is a fine looking man indeed! Thanks for the information! I'm excited I can listen to more of his work!


message 46: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (pjaye) | 449 comments comfort wrote: "I am from Australia, and for some reason I find it really hard to listen to Australian narrators, which means I don't listen to many Australian audiobooks. Some of the "actors" have a sort of neutr..."

Personally I don't find that to be the case. I have absolutely no problem listening to an Aussie accent and there are several I really like and wish they would get them to do more Australian books.
I dislike Caroline Lee but that has to do with 'how' she reads and not her Australian accent, she also makes the choice to give some characters other accents and she's dreadful at them. I get sick of the publishers tossing so many Aussie books at her to narrate simply because she has done others.
There's some great Aussie female narrators, yet they hardly have any books to their name (Tamara Lovett Smith)
I find I now avoid so many Australian books simply because I can't face another Lee narration.


message 47: by Irraya (new)

Irraya | 4 comments Patricia wrote: "comfort wrote: "I am from Australia, and for some reason I find it really hard to listen to Australian narrators, which means I don't listen to many Australian audiobooks. Some of the "actors" have..."

I didn't know why they had the same narrator for Liane Moriarty books. Now I know, thanks.

I didn't mind listening to Big Little Lies, since I loved the series, and the story is interesting. I started listening to Truly Madly Guilty, and am so annoyed by the narration. I'm not enjoying the book at all. Have also got The Husband's Secret, but will avoid the audiobook now.

I find Caroline Lee's voice a bit too nasal, and a bit too dramatic, and she over-emphasizes everything. It seemed perfect for Madeline's character, but when it's the exact same for another book, with different characters, it's very distracting.


message 48: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Mandina (buffywnabe) | 17 comments Have I asked about pictures of Sebastian York?


message 49: by comfort (new)

comfort | 26 comments Yep I asked that back in #40. There is a reply but no pic.


message 50: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Mandina (buffywnabe) | 17 comments comfort wrote: "Yep I asked that back in #40. There is a reply but no pic."

You're right! I guess I needed to read back through the whole thread. :-)

I'm once again listening to a book where both of the narrators sound too old. And the female narrator even reminds me of the voice that does Siri on my iPhone sometimes!


« previous 1
back to top