Western Authors & Readers discussion

11 views
Western genre short story (4K words)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brian (new)

Brian Webb (brianqwebb) I needed to clean out my skull cache, so I decided to write something completely opposite from my normal fare. In this case, a first person, present tense Western.

The only monsters are human. It's a little gruesome and had my writing group split down the middle between love & hate. That's something that had never happened to me before then.

It's short and pretty kinetic in it's pace. I'd appreciate any comments you might have on historical elements I may have gotten incorrect or even just the story itself.

[LANGUAGE & VIOLENCE WARNING- PG-13]

http://wp.me/p51tUE-5E

I'd appreciate it. :-)


message 2: by Richard (new)

Richard Lutman (goodreadscomrichard_lutman) | 69 comments Nicely done. Reminds of the stories in "On Dangerous Ground: Stories of Western Noir," edited by Ed Groman, Dave Zeltserman and Martin H. Greenberg.


message 3: by Brian (new)

Brian Webb (brianqwebb) Richard wrote: "Nicely done. Reminds of the stories in "On Dangerous Ground: Stories of Western Noir," edited by Ed Groman, Dave Zeltserman and Martin H. Greenberg."
Thank you! I appreciate it!


message 4: by Brian (new)

Brian Webb (brianqwebb) V.M. wrote: "Hello Brian, nicely done. Truly dark and gritty stuff here. I gave you a tweet, as a really enjoyed the story with its unsympathetic characters and colourful language.
I think fans of the more rea..."


Thanks! The other options were "life juice" and "life chowder", LOL


message 5: by Kent (new)

Kent S. (kentsbrown) | 78 comments Brian wrote: "I needed to clean out my skull cache, so I decided to write something completely opposite from my normal fare. In this case, a first person, present tense Western.

The only monsters are human. It'..."


It's got a good beginning, Brian. I'll read the rest later. I just spent the morning knocking out a first draft to a short story and then the rest of the morning and early afternoon rewriting my latest western.


message 6: by Brian (new)

Brian Webb (brianqwebb) Kent wrote: "It's got a good beginning, Brian. I'll read the rest later. I just spent the morning knocking out a first draft to a short story and then the rest of the morning and early afternoon rewriting my latest western. "

Thank you & I appreciate your time. :)

When you're finished, I'd like to know what the issues were that you had with the story (narrative, technical, etc...).


back to top