BooktubeSFF Awards discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived (2016) > 2016 Readalong Schedule

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (nicolepo) | 107 comments What is everyone planning on reading? I need to read Six of Crows, Descender, The Wicked + the Divine, Perfect State, and Midnight Hour. I want to reread Uprooted because I remember liking it, but not having particularly strong feelings about it. It seems like other people have strong negative or positive impressions of that one though, and I feel like I might of missed something.

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8 comments I plan to read Carry On, Six of Crows, A Darker Shade of Magic and Uprooted! All pretty chunky books!

message 3: by Brock (new)

Brock (brockroberts) | 13 comments Definitely going to read best novel and best graphic novel nominees. The shortlist is a good size that I think I can do it this year. Maybe best YA as time/money/library allows. The timing is excellent as I started The Fifth Season this weekend.

message 4: by Caroline (new)

Caroline (carolinedenise) I'm going to aim for most of the books (I already own Nimona, Uprooted, Carry On, Binti, Saga...). I'm not going to read Shadows of Self since I haven't read the previous 3.5 books. I might give a chance to Illuminae and Six of Crows.

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul (paul_sff) | 70 comments Reading for the first time:
A Darker Shade of Magic
Uprooted
Shadows of Self
Descender vol 1
The Wicked and The Divine vol 2
Saga vol 5
Perfect State
Midnight Hour

Rereading:
The Fifth Season
Nimona
Binti

The 3 YA selections I just read in the last 2 months, so I won't be rereading those. I'll be relatively busy.

message 6: by Miranda (new)

Miranda Hayes (mirandahayes) | 1 comments So mad, was just at Barnes and Noble staring at Darker Shade and Uprooted. Think I'll order them online for cheaper anyway. Very excited to read along with everybody. I'll be making videos as we go if anyone is interested :)

Lisa (LiteraryLatinax) (literarylatinax) Definitely look forward to reading Nimona, Six of Crows and The Fifth Season.

message 8: by Maija (new)

Maija (maijavi) | 60 comments Out of the graphic novels, I've already read The Wicked and The Divine 2 and Nimona. I've been on the waiting list for Descender and Saga 5 from the library for a while now - Descender is making its way to me right now, and I'm third in line for Saga, so yay!

Out of the short works, I've read and loved Midnight Hour, and will read the other two.

I haven't read any of the best novel nominees, but I do own Uprooted and am third in line for The Fifth Season from the library. I don't think I'll be reading A Darker Shade of Magic, since I've already read Vicious from V.E. Schwab, and I didn't care for it. I'm not sure about Shadows of Shelf since I've read neither the previous Wax & Wane book nor the Mistborn trilogy.

I will read the YA novels if I have time left after the other categories.

message 9: by Nicole (last edited Feb 29, 2016 08:07PM) (new)

Nicole (nicolepo) | 107 comments I created page were you can submit your ratings and reviews for any nominated work you have read or do read during the readalongs here. Reviews which are submitted through the forms will be reposted on twitter and/or tumblr, and I want to see if the overall community rating of the nominated works differs from what we see on Goodreads.

Video and written reviews are both fine to submit.

Rachel (Kalanadi) (kalanadi) | 66 comments I'm going to try harder to join in some of the readalongs - though I am so terrible at commenting here, I'm sorry!

I'll be rereading: Binti, Nimona, and possibly The Wicked + The Divine Vol. 2. And The Fifth Season, if I have time.

Reading for the first time: Carry On and Illuminae

There are a couple here that I'm not going to attempt because of previous bad experiences or DNFs: A Darker Shade of Magic, Six of Crows, and Brandon Sanderson's works

This going to be fun - I am so enthusiastic about a bunch of these being nominated because I loved them so much.

message 11: by Alistair (new)

Alistair | 54 comments Rachel (Kalanadi) wrote: "I'm going to try harder to join in some of the readalongs - though I am so terrible at commenting here, I'm sorry!

I'll be rereading: Binti, Nimona, and possibly The Wicked + The Divine Vol. 2. An..."

I wouldn't call myself a 'Sanderson fan' and was not initially planning to read him but I decided to try the short story.
Very pleasantly surprised by it.
A fun mix of fantasy and sci-fi, with some jokes about fantasy worlds.
I'm with 'team Binti' but the Perfect State came close to "upsetting the apple cart".
Close but not quite enough.
I have now read the 3 short stories, so qualified to pass judgment
in reverse order :
#3 Midnight Hour
#2 Perfect State
#1 Binti
:)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.