Our Shared Shelf discussion

Questions/Ideas/Ask the Mods > Book Talks Proposal

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gabby (new)

Gabby Lambert | 6 comments Hi guys!
I'm not sure if this has already been discussed somewhere, but I was wondering if any of you would be willing to give a book talk locally on a book from this group? I think that the more exposure these books and feminism get, the better. I have a much bigger idea in mind but am not quite sure how feasible it is. So, to start, I'd love to know if any of you would consider giving a book talk and which country you live in as well as if you speak the country's native language. Let me know!

Thanks,

Gabby

message 2: by Helen (new)

Helen (helen2u) | 306 comments Kodak wrote: "You mean like reps? I think this is something that needs to go up the chain of command, may be something The Chief is interested in :p"

Even I am interested, as my romanian fellas are not so involved in this group.

message 3: by Gabby (new)

Gabby Lambert | 6 comments Kodak wrote: "You mean like reps? I think this is something that needs to go up the chain of command, may be something The Chief is interested in :p"

Yes, these people might be similar to representatives. Overall, I was hoping for something where a member of the book group could give a book talk to students at an underprivileged school and then afterwards distribute a few copies of the book. These copies could later be read by the students. Ideally, there would be representatives in countries/regions where there is not much gender equality, but of course events like these could be given anywhere. I thought this idea could broaden the book group's global impact and it would also reach people who may not have searched out these books by themselves or had availability to them.

message 4: by Ana, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Ana PF | 746 comments Mod
This is sort of related to the take OSS to your library proposal, right? :D Sounds good! Handing out copies of the book might be more difficult though!

message 5: by Mehar (new)

Mehar | 21 comments Gabby wrote: "Kodak wrote: "You mean like reps? I think this is something that needs to go up the chain of command, may be something The Chief is interested in :p"

Yes, these people might be similar to represen..."

i think it is a great idea but it will involve a great deal of pre-planing to be actually effective....but if it is carried out in the ryt manner with proper resources then it can prove to be very impactful

message 6: by Gabby (last edited Feb 29, 2016 07:59AM) (new)

Gabby Lambert | 6 comments Ana wrote: "This is sort of related to the take OSS to your library proposal, right? :D Sounds good! Handing out copies of the book might be more difficult though!"

Yep, it's fairly similar:) I know...the handing out of books would probably prove to be difficult (as would finding books the books that have been translated into different languages). One idea is that the representative could donate his or her book after giving the book talk? I'm not really sure - a lot of details would need to be worked out - just brainstorming and hopefully something good might come of this!

message 7: by Kressel (new)

Kressel Housman | 436 comments I was thinking of starting a women's book club in my own town as a bridge of peace between the Ultra-Orthodox women and non-Jewish/secular women. The conflict in my town is a whole 'nuther story, but perhaps the people I have in mind would be interested in reading OSS books instead of my original idea, which was to go round-robin in each other's cultures.

message 8: by Gabby (new)

Gabby Lambert | 6 comments Kressel wrote: "I was thinking of starting a women's book club in my own town as a bridge of peace between the Ultra-Orthodox women and non-Jewish/secular women. The conflict in my town is a whole 'nuther story, b..."

That's such a great idea! Incorporating OSS into your community might really unite your town's women by allowing the different groups to find commonalities with each other! :)

message 9: by Kressel (new)

Kressel Housman | 436 comments Yes, but I'm inclined toward using the books of our choice first and then the OSS books. We have an author from the Haitian community right in town, and it would be good to start with her.

message 10: by Gabby (new)

Gabby Lambert | 6 comments Kressel wrote: "Yes, but I'm inclined toward using the books of our choice first and then the OSS books. We have an author from the Haitian community right in town, and it would be good to start with her."

Sounds awesome! Let me know how it goes and if you find it an effective way to bring people together!

message 11: by Robert (new)

Robert Kafadar thats great idea Kressel. We could do it here too on the forums. Like a book club inside the book club. Emma will probably choose bestseller books to popularize and educate followers on feminism.

So it would make sense to have recommended books from all over the world and from different cultures. And from younger generation.

Like doing Palestine, Malala and its problems on education and pick writer and book on topic. Discuss it here in depth and when people get confident they know enough THEN give book talks. Of course expand and incorporate OSS books into talk if possible.

message 12: by Katelyn, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Katelyn (katelynrh) | 836 comments Mod
Check out this related topic:

Take OSS to Your Local Library!!
And for Spanish speakers:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...