Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

The Nightingale
This topic is about The Nightingale
Archive - Award Winners > The Nightingale - March 2016

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Feb 29, 2016 06:15AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie | 5821 comments Mod
Winner of the Historical Fiction award

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

Summary
In love we find out who we want to be.
In war we find out who we are.

FRANCE, 1939

In the quiet village of Carriveau, Vianne Mauriac says goodbye to her husband, Antoine, as he heads for the Front. She doesn’t believe that the Nazis will invade France...but invade they do, in droves of marching soldiers, in caravans of trucks and tanks, in planes that fill the skies and drop bombs upon the innocent. When France is overrun, Vianne is forced to take an enemy into her house, and suddenly her every move is watched; her life and her child’s life is at constant risk. Without food or money or hope, as danger escalates around her, she must make one terrible choice after another.

Vianne’s sister, Isabelle, is a rebellious eighteen-year-old girl, searching for purpose with all the reckless passion of youth. While thousands of Parisians march into the unknown terrors of war, she meets the compelling and mysterious Gäetan, a partisan who believes the French can fight the Nazis from within France, and she falls in love as only the young can...completely. When he betrays her, Isabelle races headlong into danger and joins the Resistance, never looking back or giving a thought to the real--and deadly--consequences.

With courage, grace and powerful insight, bestselling author Kristin Hannah takes her talented pen to the epic panorama of WWII and illuminates an intimate part of history seldom seen: the women’s war. The Nightingale tells the stories of two sisters, separated by years and experience, by ideals, passion and circumstance, each embarking on her own dangerous path toward survival, love, and freedom in German-occupied, war-torn France--a heartbreakingly beautiful novel that celebrates the resilience of the human spirit and the durability of women. It is a novel for everyone, a novel for a lifetime.

Bonnie | 41 comments I read this last spring, and look forward to the discussion. I especially enjoyed that it was real people with real family relationships and not just war facts.

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

This was one of the few books that was nominated last year that I had already read and could vote for. I really loved this book. Just like Bonnie, I also liked that it was about the people, their family, and friendships and not just the war. The war was almost more like an important part of the setting.

message 5: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Savanes | 1997 comments Mod
I just started... So far, I like the writing style and the story. I'm looking forward to more reading! ;)

message 6: by Elle (new) - added it

Elle | 14 comments thewanderingjew wrote: "https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah"

I read The Nightingale last year for my local book club and am now sitting here re-thinking the whole book after having read your beautifully written review.

Thank you for sharing the information that the book was inspired by the true story of a woman named Andree De Jongh who performed heroically during the war. I did not know this and enjoyed learning about her. I suggest checking out the NYT article below when you all finish the book since Andree was truly the most beautiful "Nightingale" and knowing who she was makes the book more magical & profound.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/30/mag...

thewanderingjew | 96 comments Thank you for your kind remarks about my review.

Nanci | 78 comments Excited to read this with all of you! I've had it on my iPad for quite awhile. I'm discussing it in early April with my book group, so it will be great to have all your feedback in advance.

Nina (niisku80) | 10 comments I read this book last summer and absolutly loved it!

message 10: by Annette (new)

Annette mathews (annettesara) | 19 comments I am reading this book right Now. in the eleventh Chapter

Maurissa My in-person book club read this last month. I absolutely loved this book. I felt it was beautifully written, uplifting and heartbreaking at the same time.

message 12: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

chapter 8: So far i really like the book but I have to say Isabelle gets a little on my nerve. I understand her will to fight but she acts like spoiled kid endangering everyone's life.

message 13: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I felt the same way when I was reading this one, Savanes.

message 14: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

That book really raises the question: If your life was at stake, would you collaborate or would you fight. I hope I would fight but I would make sure that I way smarter than Isabelle. ;)

message 15: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I think I'd be more like Vianne.

Cathy I'm only a couple of chapters in, but I also think I'd be more like Vianne than Isabelle so far.

I'm liking the book up to now, but as I said, I've only just started. I've heard so many good things about it, though, and I've read 4 other books by Kristin Hannah in the past. Most of them I only just "like" but one I absolutely loved, so I'm hoping The Nightingale will be like the one I loved!

I'd been looking foward to reading this one, and I also want to check out that article on Andree De Jongh when I'm done.

message 17: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

What others have you read by her, Cathy? I have read On Mystic Lake and The Things We Do for Love. I have a few others on my TBR.

Cathy I've read Night Road, Firefly Lane, Magic Hour and Home Front. They were all three-star reads for me, except Home Front, which I absolutely loved. I always really like her writing, though, but there's usually something in her contemporary stories holding me back from enjoying them fully. Again, Home Front is the sole exception and I'm hoping this one might be too, given it's historical fiction this time!

message 19: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I enjoyed this one more than her others, though I only read a couple.

Ioana | 129 comments I read this a few months ago and LOVED it. Not a fan of all Kristin Hannah's books, but this one was exceptionally good. Hope you all like it as much as I did.

Angela M I read this a while ago and I loved it too , as others here. Here's my review : https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Cathy Angela M wrote: "I read this a while ago and I loved it too , as others here. Here's my review : https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

You linking to your review reminds me, didn't Goodreads used to show the rating other people gave a book if they'd already read it? It would be next to the person's name, e.g. "rated it 4 stars" and you'd be able to click on it and go straight to their review. Where has that function gone?

Because I saw a lot of people in this thread say they've read it already, yet there's no links or ratings. Strange.

message 23: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I wondered that too, Cathy. It seems that it shows up sometimes, but there doesn't seem to be any logical reason when. I set up the threads the same, linking to the book, so I don't know why that doesn't always show up. I like that feature.

message 24: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristie wrote: "I wondered that too, Cathy. It seems that it shows up sometimes, but there doesn't seem to be any logical reason when. I set up the threads the same, linking to the book, so I don't know why that d..."

@Kristie, I updated the feed so it should appear now. There's a trick!!! ;)

message 25: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thanks, Savanes! I don't know what I did differently, but I'm glad it's there now! :)

message 26: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm at chapter 15, roughly a 1/3rd of the book.

I wonder who is the old lady...? (view spoiler)

Also, I know something bad will happen (view spoiler)

Last thought: Will captain Beck end up being the worst human being ever (all fake smiles and such) or is he a nice guy on the wrong side of the fence?

message 27: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chapter 18: When Isabelle's father leaves the apartment holding his suitcase, I wonder whether (view spoiler)

message 28: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Savanes - Your thoughts are mostly the same as mine when I was reading the book. Wish I could comment, but I've already read it and your thoughts / questions will be answered. :)

Cathy Aaah I had no idea either that there was a trick, but thanks for fixing it :)

I haven't gotten much reading time this weekend, so still not very far along, but so far I'm honestly not liking Isabelle that much. She's the kind of character that's really hard for me to love, but I'm hoping that will change.

Colleen  | 137 comments Read this book last year through a giveaway and LOVED it. So many heart breaking moments, (view spoiler) Adventures, drama, love, loss - this book has it all. My first Kristen Hannah and not my last.

message 31: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm at 77%.

@Cahy: I think Isabelle is redeeming herself in terms of being annoying. She's still putting everyone at risk though but I can understand it comes from a good place.

@Kristie: I definitely got some of my answers. Captain Beck (view spoiler)

I would definitely have been like Vianne.

message 32: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Absolutely agree with your spoiler. I think he (view spoiler)

Isabelle also grew on me as the story progressed.

message 33: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

To your spoiler: (view spoiler)

message 34: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

reply (view spoiler)

Helen (helendes) | 15 comments I read this last year and loved it. If you are a historical fiction fan, this is the book for you.

message 36: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

I finished... It was a really good book.
I cried quite a bit at the end (view spoiler)

About Damien, (view spoiler)

message 37: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

end (view spoiler)

message 38: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

About the old lady's son, (view spoiler)?

message 39: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

reply (view spoiler)

message 40: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

reply (view spoiler)

message 41: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

reply (view spoiler)

message 42: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

That was definitely a mouthful Kristie ^^

(view spoiler)

message 43: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

reply (view spoiler)

message 44: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

@Kristie: I don't think we have the answer to those questions in the book. I agree with your hypothesis on the first question.

message 45: by Devon (last edited Mar 08, 2016 11:02AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Devon Stangland | 3 comments I just read All the Light We Cannot See in the December book challenge. I found the parallels between the escape from Paris interesting. Both books take place in France during similar time periods. (i'm not done with The Nightingale yet). It will be to nice compare and contrast between the two... once I'm done. :)

thewanderingjew | 96 comments The beauty of "All the Light We Cannot See" is the fact that those sighted were often more blind than the blind. I went to an author breakfast with Anthony Doerr and he showed a powerpoint presentation. The pictures he showed were never what we thought they were, at first view, which proved that our eyes could deceive us if we chose that path. He was excellent.

(view spoiler)

Valerie (darthval) | 411 comments I have to admit that lately I've been feeling a little "over" historical fiction of the WWII era. There is just so much of it. But I found so much about this book to be interesting and different.

It, no doubt had its share of bleak moments, there is just no way to tell a WWII story set in Europe without them. However, I found inspiration in the stories of the small actions taken that led to bigger actions and making a difference.

It was also interesting to feel the time period through the eyes of French women experiencing occupied France.

I'll be honest, I was a bit skeptical going in because my perception of Kristin Hannah is that she writes books that are more sentimental than my taste. However, this was a very well-written book.

Erica I listened to this book on audible a couple a months ago and it felt like a movie. The book made me very committed to the characters and I was sad when the book ended. I have never read a book by Kristin Hannah, and I wonder if all her books have this much depth? It was so good it makes me want to look at some of her other books.

message 49: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erica - I've read a couple of other books by Hannah, but this was my favorite. I do enjoy her writing though and she has quite a few books out. Try another and see what you think.

Cathy I'm finding this a slow read, for some reason. I'm only around the 30% mark and it's finally picking up for me now. Since I'm usually a relatively fast reader, and I tend to like Hannah's books, I'm a little puzzled about why I'm not more eager to pick up and continue this one.

Perhaps a gut feeling of bad things to come? The writing is beautiful, though, as I've come to expect from her.

« previous 1