Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2)
This topic is about Forever Odd
Archive - Series Reads > Forever Odd (Odd Thomas #2) - March 2016

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lynn, Moderator (last edited Feb 29, 2016 02:45AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4071 comments Mod
Forever Odd is the second book in the Odd Thomas Series. The group is reading the series in preparation for reading the Horror Category Winner Saint Odd later in the year.

Book #1 Discussion - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Forever Odd (Odd Thomas, #2) by Dean Koontz

We’re all a little odd beneath the surface. He’s the most unlikely hero you’ll ever meet—an ordinary guy with a modest job you might never look at twice. But there’s so much more to any of us than meets the eye—and that goes triple for Odd Thomas. For Odd lives always between two worlds in the small desert town of Pico Mundo, where the heroic and the harrowing are everyday events. Odd never asked to communicate with the dead—it’s something that just happened. But as the unofficial goodwill ambassador between our world and theirs, he’s got a duty to do the right thing. That’s the way Odd sees it and that’s why he’s won hearts on both sides of the divide between life and death.

A childhood friend of Odd’s has disappeared. The worst is feared. But as Odd applies his unique talents to the task of finding the missing person, he discovers something worse than a dead body, encounters an enemy of exceptional cunning, and spirals into a vortex of terror. Once again Odd will stand against our worst fears. Around him will gather new allies and old, some living and some not. For in the battle to come, there can be no innocent bystanders, and every sacrifice can tip the balance between despair and hope.

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 5949 comments Mod
I'm hoping to start this one in the next couple of days. I'm really looking forward to it. I need to finish Ready Player One first, but I am hoping to finish that one tonight.

message 3: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - added it

Savanes | 2017 comments Mod
Me too but first I need to finish The Nightingale.

I know there was a lot of talking about this book and the fact that it was not the best in the series so I'm crossing my fingers that it's not too bad so that I can keep up with the series. Well I guess I'll figure that out pretty soon. ;)

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I think the talk about it not being the best in the series is good because now my expectations aren't too high. I expect that it will be just fine.

Hope you're enjoying The Nightingale. I loved that book.

message 5: by ally ¯\(ツ)/¯ (last edited Mar 01, 2016 08:19PM) (new)

ally  ¯\(ツ)/¯ (allykennedy) | 1002 comments Its never a good sign when I have a physical book in front of me (which I have this book, STARING AT ME, hand literally extended - beckoning me)... and I actively seek to avoid it...
I'm not sure this will happen, but the option is there.

message 6: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stephanie - I hope you do join us!

ally - I'm excited to start. I had planned to finish Ready Player One, then start this, then I realized that I had another half finished book that I should finish first. I'm trying to finish it up because it is a good one that I keep putting aside for other reads. We'll see, I may put it aside again.

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) I'm just starting this one today- I'm about 15% in and so far it's decent. Although i miss Stormy. =(

Paula S (paula_s) | 36 comments I started and finished this book today. Maybe the first book was better, but this one was fine; I enjoyed it.

message 9: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Glad to hear it, Paula!

Alissa - I know I will too. I liked her.

message 10: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Started today!

message 11: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I agree with Paula. I'm about 68% through and I'm enjoying it. I can certainly see how it is different from the first one, but I still think it's good.

message 12: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4071 comments Mod
That's promising to hear.

message 13: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - added it

@Kristie: Is it "different better" or another kind of different?

message 14: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Different...more focused on Odd, more personal, I suppose. So a little less mystery focused, but still the same level of action/ suspense, I think. It's hard to explain without giving too much away. Not necessarily better or worse to me.

Alissa Patrick (apatrick12211) Kristie hit the nail on the head with the description. "more focused on Odd, more personal"- for sure!

I liked it, but not as much as the first one. I personally gave #1 4 stars and this one 3 stars. I also didnt like the villain at all. I felt she was a little too over the top, almost cartoon-ish for me

message 16: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I can see that, Alissa. I think she's supposed to come across as fanatical and a bit insane. But, she is a bit over the top.

message 17: by Lynn, Moderator (last edited Mar 07, 2016 08:24PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4071 comments Mod
So I've started it and it enjoying it so far. I've just finished Chapter 6 and already have lots to think about.

(view spoiler)

message 18: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm about 84% (view spoiler)

message 19: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - added it

I just started. I'm not sure I'm in the mood for that type of book. I will try reading a few more chapters and then I'll decide.

message 20: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

You have to be in the mood for it, Savanes. I've made that mistake several times and not enjoyed something I may otherwise have really liked.

message 21: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I finished today and I have to say that I didn't love the end all that much, but the rest of the book I found entertaining. I gave it 4 stars, might have been 3.5 due to parts of the end if GR allowed that, but I liked the rest well enough to round up.

Lengthy final thoughts: (view spoiler)

Valerie (darthval) | 411 comments I kind of thought this book could be called Forever Boring. It is probably just me, but I read so much intense urban fantasy, that this book just felt lackluster and tedious.

Kristie, I am with you on the (view spoiler)

I also still feel like Koontz works in little political digs that annoy me. It's like he keeps taking pot shots at being politically correct without acknowledging that just because some words/ideas have been around a LONG time doesn't mean that they are not offensive. This REALLY bugs me.

The good news - these books are quick and easy reads, so I feel like I can make it though to see if they get better as the series progresses.

I have already read ahead to Brother Odd, which I liked better, but I will save my commentary for that thread.

message 23: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Valerie - Can you give an example of the political digs? I think I'm missing that whole thing.

Valerie (darthval) | 411 comments Here is an example from this book he kind of goes on a tangent about a sports team being forced to be renamed because it had a native american themed name. He goes on to claim that no native Americans seem to be offended by it, implying that the renaming is a result of people forcing political correctness for the sake of being politically correct, rather than an attempt to stop on offensive stereotype.

Just because something has heritage and history and has been accepted for years does not mean it should continue. I could go on and on about this issue.

It wouldn't be as bad if Odd's character was portrayed differently. However, he is a young man whose is characterized by his empathy for others. This viewpoint seems grossly inconsistent.

message 25: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oh! I see. Yes, I remember that. I don't think I thought much about it. It is definitely a topic that people fall on one side or the other.

I don't know that I find it incongruous with Odd's character. If his experience is that the Native American people he knows didn't have an issue with it, then that would be his belief. I will note that he has very limited experience due to never leaving town and probably hasn't spoken to a significant number of Native Americans to base that opinion on.

Did you see that there was an author's note at the end that states that the Native American people noted in the book never really owned that property and if they did it wouldn't have had the issues in the book? I found it interesting that he felt it necessary to point out that that specific part of the book was fiction. I'm sure he was covering his heinie and wanted people to know that he wasn't implying that this was an accurate representation.

Valerie (darthval) | 411 comments Yeah, I thought that was kind of weird to get specific on the particular point when a blanket, this is a work of fiction, yadda, yadda, etc would have worked.

There has been some other comments along this line in the first book and this one. The opinions feel just a tad too bitter to me to fit with Odd, who seems optimistic despite all he has faced.

Heck, I might not have noticed if I hadn't found the book as a whole rather boring.

message 27: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lol, true. Perhaps I was too entertained to notice. :) haha

message 28: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4071 comments Mod
So I've now finished and while I don't think it's as good as the first book I did enjoy it.

For me, I think there's two major reasons it wasn't as good as the first.
1) In the first book, Odd's quirky personality often made me smile or chuckle (sometimes even laugh) but in this book there was such an overwhelming sadness because of his grief for Stormy. While realistic to the overall arch of the series, I did miss the Odd of the first book.

The last few chapters I found quite heartbreaking :(

2) This second book had a much simpler plot and there was a lot of pages and words (and rambling) for such a simple storyline.

message 29: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I agree with your assessment, Lynn. This Odd definitely gave off a sad vibe, as he should. I still love him as a character though and look forward to the next book. I am concerned with where the story line will go.

message 30: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4071 comments Mod
Kristie wrote: "I still love him as a character though"

Oh yeah, I'm totally attached to him now :)

message 31: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lynn wrote: "Kristie wrote: "I still love him as a character though"

Oh yeah, I'm totally attached to him now :)"

I'm a bit disappointed that our next encounter with Odd isn't scheduled until June! It seems so long, but I'm sure it will be here before we know it. I'll be looking forward to getting back to the story then. :)

Janet | 3 comments I know i'm a couple months late, but I wanted to put in my two cents since this is an ongoing series..

I didn't look to see reviews of the book prior to reading it, but after reading this thread I can see where people didn't enjoy this book as much as the first.

Honestly, I forgot what the first book was about until I was getting through #2. But overall, I thought it was okay. Just as everyone said, the ending was a bit disappointing since it seemed super rushed. But because there seems to be a difference between the first and the second books, I am still interested in seeing how the rest of the series ends up.

Thanks for getting me into Koontz

message 33: by Lynn, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lynn | 4071 comments Mod
Glad you put your two cents in Janet. Hopefully you can join us in June with the 3rd book :)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 9 comments I just started. I read the comment about the Native American name for the team. Where I live we still have a Braves high school team and I've never heard any complaints or suggestions to change... but more and more in this state do end up changing, so I think it's just a matter of time.

However the Bombers ... (which were actually named after a WWII bomber plane) ... have to continually fight against complaints since they have a mushroom cloud on their helmets. (It's because we live just outside one of the 3 sites of the Manhattan project.)

I'm only 1/3 of the way in and I can see why whoever it was rated it 3 stars. I haven't gotten to the villain(ess) yet. Can't wait to see what's going on this time.

One of the great things I like about this series is the continual thread of consciousness you get from Odd. His thoughts do go on odd tangents and sometimes you just have to laugh at some of the things he says.