♥ Nothing Better Than Reading!! ♥ discussion

Book/Genre of the Month > The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins - March 2016 BOTM

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A, Crazy. (new)

A H | 7672 comments Mod
Thoughts on this book?

message 2: by Kavitha (new)

Kavitha | 12 comments I found this book really hard to put down. I liked the way how the story shifts and picks up from one character to another and leaves us guessing. I too found the style of writing similar to Glynn Flynn's...as compared by many.

message 3: by Alison (new)

Alison (a1ison74) | 418 comments I think I'm probably in the minority with this book as I really didn't like it. I actually listened to the audio book so it may have been that but I just didn't like any of the characters. As a result I didn't really care what had happened although I did guess the ending. Personally I don't think it lives up to the hype. There are a lot better thrillers out there.

message 4: by Nina (last edited Mar 01, 2016 12:14PM) (new)

Nina (niisku80) I'm with Alison, I didn't like this book. I read this book last summer and it took me a long time and several starts to get trough it because the story didn't in any way "inspire" me and I somehow never got in to the story. There was nothing wrong with the story it was just to my taste.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (erinpaperbackstash) I thought it was an excellent book. It had flawed characters for sure, but to me that can be interesting sometimes. The writing style and act of reading it was beautiful, loved the author's style, it was surreal and trippy.

message 6: by Mai (new)

Mai | 5 comments I didn't get the hype for this book.

message 7: by Kashfia (new)

Kashfia | 1 comments I was a bit disappointed by this book because I feel like it had the potential to be something really great. it was great though,I had a hard time putting it down and it moved at a good pace. I also lo ved Paula's idea about who the killer was and the type of person he/she was. The only thing I had a problem with was the unveiling of the truth, it seemed too abrupt and not at all believable. A truth that that ground shattering should've been unveiled with a more dramatic flair, in my opinion.

message 8: by Anushri (new)

Anushri Jain | 20 comments I didn't like this one. I think it's over hyped and nowhere close to The Gone Girl as reader as led to believe.

message 9: by Maina (new)

Maina | 26 comments I read this for another group on here but can't find my review. I wanted to love this book, but i just didn't. I think i expected so much more from it based on all of the comparisons to gone girl. I think i gave it 3 stars... It was on ok read but not the page turner i was expecting.

message 10: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (plentyofpages) As much as I enjoyed this book it did take me a while to get in to and the slow start did put me off a little.

message 11: by PinkieFairy (new)

PinkieFairy (pinkifairy) I started reading The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins a couple of days ago and I am still interested in it however I am getting a Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn feeling from it and I was very disappointed in the ending of that book. I really hope that Girl on a Train does turn into that. I have had a couple of people recommend this book and when it came up as the read for this group and another group I figured why not and I was finally able to borrow it through Overdrive. I wantto like the book but I am not sure I will or if I will even finish it. I will say though that the two main female characters annoy me. I find nothing redeeming about that at this point but that might change.

message 12: by Monica (new)

Monica Miller (monicamiller20) | 7 comments I liked the twists and turns of the book, I liked that the main character wasn't a typical Miss Universe-contestant, but a woman with problems, and yeah, she did have a lot of them and I was constantly pissed that she couldn't ask for help to get better.
It was an engaging read, though.

message 13: by PinkieFairy (new)

PinkieFairy (pinkifairy) I really tried but I just couldn't stay interested in this book. It was too slow going and none of the characters had any redeeming or engaging qualities.

message 14: by Dhura (new)

Dhura Mistry | 2 comments I really loved this book.! It wasn't boring and fast paced.! It was accurate and to the point but still I was able to figure out the mystery in it.! A good book though.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) I just read this novel earlier this year, and I thought it was pretty good. I tried watching the movie afterwards, but there were too many discrepancies for me to enjoy it, and I quit halfway through.