New Adult Book Club discussion

Archived Monthly Group Reads > March Non-Contemporary Group Read ~ The Vanishing Girl (The Vanishing Girl #1) by Laura Thalassa

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee (last edited Feb 29, 2016 02:22AM) (new)

Dee | 851 comments This month Nicola will be reading The Vanishing Girl (The Vanishing Girl #1) by Laura Thalassa with you. The Vanishing Girl (The Vanishing Girl, #1) by Laura Thalassa
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

It is available on Kindle Unlimited to read for free for those who have Kindle Unlimited.

Every night after Ember Pierce falls asleep, she disappears. She can teleport anywhere in the world—London, Paris, her crush’s bedroom—wherever her dreams lead her. Ten minutes is all she gets, and once time’s up, she returns to her bed. It's a secret she’s successfully kept for the last five years. But now someone knows.

A week after her eighteenth birthday, when frustratingly handsome Caden Hawthorne captures her, delivers her to the government, and then disappears before her eyes, Ember realizes two things: One, she is not alone. And two, people like her—teleporters—are being used as weapons.

Dragged off to a remote facility where others like her live, Ember’s forced to pair up with her former captor, Caden, to learn how to survive inside until she can escape. Only Caden’s making escape seem less and less appealing.

But even as Ember falls for the boy who got her into this mess, she knows that she is running out of time. Because the government has plans for those like her, and those plans might just cost Ember her life.

message 2: by Nicola (new)

Nicola (nikki-lou) | 2115 comments I am going to start reading this later. Looks a little different. Anyone gonna read along with me ?

message 3: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh | 99 comments I've just downloaded this, so hopefully will start it tomorrow! It sounds different to what I would normally read so i'm excited to see what it's like.

Let me know how you're finding it :)

message 4: by Nicola (new)

Nicola (nikki-lou) | 2115 comments Ashleigh wrote: "I've just downloaded this, so hopefully will start it tomorrow! It sounds different to what I would normally read so i'm excited to see what it's like.

Let me know how you're finding it :)"

I struggled at the start its a little to out there without enough information, just that she readily accepts things. But after a few chapters Im getting into it and really enjoying it so my advice is stick with it but it might grip you more than it did me. I am actually excited about going to bed to read and see what happens next :)

message 5: by Nicola (new)

Nicola (nikki-lou) | 2115 comments OMG I loved this book in the end that i just had to know what happened and i went on and downloaded the 2nd book. Totallay amazing!!

Anyone else started reading? What do you think so far ?

message 6: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh | 99 comments I started reading earlier and I'm about a third of the way through now and I'm really enjoying it! I see what you meant about the beginning, but now were starting to find more out so its making more sense. I'm especially liking how the relationships between the characters are growing. Like you, I can't wait to find out what will happen next! Hopefully I can get back to reading it soon.

message 7: by Nicola (new)

Nicola (nikki-lou) | 2115 comments Ashleigh wrote: "I started reading earlier and I'm about a third of the way through now and I'm really enjoying it! I see what you meant about the beginning, but now were starting to find more out so its making mor..."

I read the 2nd book already and now have to wait for the 3rd grrr lol but yes let me know what you think when you get to read more. i am surprised its soo good been waiting a while for a NA series like this :)

message 8: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh | 99 comments I have just finished the book! Like you I just couldn't put it down, I had to know what happened. I've already downloaded the second one and I don't think it will be long before I give in and read it! Do you know when the 3rd one will be released?

It it really refreshing to read a NA series like this, as i've only really come across YA or adult books with this sort of subject/theme. I have really enjoyed reading it so thanks for choosing such a great monthly group read; I would definitely recommend others to read it too!

message 9: by Nicola (new)

Nicola (nikki-lou) | 2115 comments Ashleigh wrote: "I have just finished the book! Like you I just couldn't put it down, I had to know what happened. I've already downloaded the second one and I don't think it will be long before I give in and read ..."

I am not sure just says 2016 so this year. I can't wait for it and I agree so refreshing to see a NA series like this I really really am enjoying it.

message 10: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh | 99 comments I hope its soon, I hate waiting!

message 11: by Nicola (new)

Nicola (nikki-lou) | 2115 comments Ashleigh wrote: "I hope its soon, I hate waiting!"

Me too!!

message 12: by Emma (new)

Emma | 8 comments I just downloaded this, sounds interesting and given how much you both liked it seemed worth a try!

message 13: by Nicola (new)

Nicola (nikki-lou) | 2115 comments Emma wrote: "I just downloaded this, sounds interesting and given how much you both liked it seemed worth a try!"

Let us know what you think :)

message 14: by Emma (new)

Emma | 8 comments This was so good! I just finished the second book, needed to know what happened! Ember definitely accepted things a bit too quickly at the start and I think her and Caden were very quick to admit their feelings for each other. One of those books that really gets you hooked though!

message 15: by Nicola (new)

Nicola (nikki-lou) | 2115 comments Emma wrote: "This was so good! I just finished the second book, needed to know what happened! Ember definitely accepted things a bit too quickly at the start and I think her and Caden were very quick to admit t..."

Yes I agree start was a bit fast and unbelievable but quickly turns around I cant wait for the next book! this is definitely one of those undiscovered NA books that people need to know about!!

message 16: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh | 99 comments I finished the 2nd book yesterday and totally agree with you two! I hope more people see this thread and read the books as they are really good. I can't wait for book three, I hope it's not too long till its out!